Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

USCMAAI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Combat Karate, Kenpo,Jujitsu, and Boxing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Teaching Combat Skills Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

Those of you who know me and have trained with me over the years, know that I feel that martial arts skills need to be taught in a practical manner. Techniques that are not combat effective and don't hold up under a pressured attack or defense should be discarded. Now after stating my prejudice for combat effective techniques, I must say that there are very few techniques that have no combat application. The problem with many techniques is not the techniques themselves, it is the way it they are taught and the when and where the technique is applied. In this article I will deal with the way I think a combat skill should be taught.

When teaching a combat skill, there are several factors that must be considered. First, whom are you teaching? A group of Marines will generally be able to assimilate techniques faster than a group of moms taking a self defense course. Second, you also have to consider what skills you are teaching. That same group of mothers isn't likely to be willing to do eye thrusts and neck breaks like our Marine friends (then again maybe they would). Therefore the defensive/combat skills taught to these groups would probably be markedly different. Third, you need to consider where you are teaching these skills. In the United States, there can be a huge difference in the self defense laws from state to state. In some places justification of force must be overwhelming or the "victim" of an assault could end up being prosecuted for assault.

Now regardless of the whom, what and where considerations you have to deal with, I feel that the best way to train someone in combat skills is to use the motivational learning method, along with the 5 phase approach. Motivational conditioning is a very simple process that consists of the following steps:

1. Show the student why they need to learn the new skill. It is human nature to question something new or strange. When teaching new skills to students it has been my experience that if they know why they need to know a particular skill, they are more likely to devote more effort to learning it.

2. Demonstrate the technique at dynamic pace. I always like to have someone who isn't a "expert," but knows the skill well, demonstrate technique if possible. This shows the student that the skill can be done successfully and if you use a non expert, this will help the student's confidence.

3. Teach the skill using the 5-phase approach. This method teaches the skill in a step by step method. Then as the student gets better, the amount of stress (realism) imposed on his/her practice is increased. This ensures that the student actually "gets" the skill down and lets the practitioner learn how deal with combat stress. I will go into this in detail later in this article.

4. Have the student successfully demonstrate the skill at a dynamic pace. This is the same as #2. Notice I don't say full speed, because you want to give the student enough stress to test their ability, but you don't want to go so hard and fast that the situation is not controlled. I generally state that 80% to 90% speed of attack and defense is good for dynamic technique. Successful demonstration of the skill(s) in a "dynamic" pace, gives your student confidence in their abilities. This confidence while not completely "combat proven" is as close as you can safely get and have control.

5. Have the student successfully execute the skill(s) in a real situation. This part of the theory is beyond an instructor's control. But it is generally accepted that the sooner a skill is used in a real situation, the more ingrained that skill becomes in us. I do not advocate putting your students in dangerous situations, just so they can fight their way out. The successful use of a combat skill in "real life" is not an experience that I would wish on anyone. But, those of us who have seen real combat and survived know the value of that experience.

In the above model, I stated that the 5 phase method of teaching a skill should be used. This method is designed to teach the student a skill or set of skills. Then as the student becomes more proficient, increase the stress of doing that skill, either by increasing the speed and/or severity of the situation or adding other variables to the situation (weapons, multiple attackers, environmental conditions, etc.). The phase model is as follows:

Phase I: Ideal Phase. In this phase the skill is demonstrated in a sanitary environment. All participants (attacker/defender or uke/tori) do as they are expected to. This phase is what you see when you go to demonstrations, watch the movies, etc. It is done to provide the student with the "mental picture" of how the skill(s) are properly done. I break this phase down into two modes (demonstration I and demonstration II). Demonstration I is at dynamic speed. This shows the student that the skill works in a combat situation. Demonstration II is done in 3 steps at slow speed. This allows the student to see the skill broken down into beginning, middle and end, thus completing an accurate mental picture.

Phase II: Fixed/Static Phase. In this phase the student actually begins learning the skill in the 3 step method. The skill is done in the Ideal Phase mode (i.e. no variables). At this point in training any mistakes made are corrected at each step. It is very important that the student not be allowed to move from this phase until all three steps can be completed without error. Most of us are familiar with this method of training. I bet we all learned to do front kicks, sidekicks, throws and punches in this "by the numbers" way. All steps are performed at speeds between 10% to 50%. I also use this phase to work "reverse motion" of techniques. This is like doing a technique twice each time it is executed and helps the student learn a particular block, strike, stance or kick faster.

Phase III: Fluid Phase. In this phase the student begins to speed up the actual execution of the skill. Any action that is a catalyst for the skill is also sped up as well. This gives a student an opportunity to practice the skill and increase in ability. When a student starts in this phase all action that is a catalyst starts at 50% speed. As a student becomes comfortable with the use of the skill, the speed and intensity of the catalyst can be increased up to 70%. It is important for the instructor to teach the student to react without thought of "what he or she is doing" during this phase. This is no longer by the numbers, but is a fluid action.

Phase IV: Dynamic Phase. In this phase of training, the student should be more than familiar with the skill and should be able to execute at dynamic speed with a dynamic catalyst. Dynamic means between 80% and 90% speed. Full speed is not used for safety purposes, but the more automatic you can make your use of the skill the better. The purpose of this phase is to force your student into executing the skill in a stressful environment. This increases their acclamation to the stress of a real situation and helps prevent freezing in actual combat.

Phase V: Variable Action Phase. This phase of training is actually a repeat of Phases III and IV. In this phase the "what ifs" are introduced and trained for. This is when an instructor may add variables such as: weapons, additional attackers, weather or environmental concerns, etc. The purpose is to get the student to "think outside the box" and to be adaptable. This is a very important and often unused phase of teaching a skill because I have rarely used a technique in real life that could be executed exactly the way it was practiced in training. If you don't prepare your students for variations, then in the real world they will not be able to adapt quick enough to survive.

As you can see, the teaching of combat skill isn't that complicated. But, it does require some effort on the part of the instructor. Using the motivational learning method along with the 5 phase teaching plan will dramatically increase your student's ability to perform in a stressful situation. And we all know that all combat is stressful!

K.Mabon
United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Well explained. And I like the example of using a "non-expert" for demonstration purposes.

USCMAAI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushidoman!

Here is that post in which I discuss the five phases of teaching a combat skill.

K.Mabon

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, USCMAAI.

Perhaps you can use the simulation techniques some of us have mentioned on other threads for your last "real situation" phase. Have your students come into a low-lighted room to face unknown "assailants" who use unknown or unbriefed techniques. You can darken the room as much as you like or the student can handle. Perhaps add loud music and a "crowd" of other students like at a club. This scenario can present some stress to the student and allow them to demonstrate techniques after "failing" to deescalate a confrontational situation, while keeping the real danger out of it.

Combat effective!

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

USCMAAI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baronbvp wrote:
Great job, USCMAAI.

Perhaps you can use the simulation techniques some of us have mentioned on other threads for your last "real situation" phase. Have your students come into a low-lighted room to face unknown "assailants" who use unknown or unbriefed techniques. You can darken the room as much as you like or the student can handle. Perhaps add loud music and a "crowd" of other students like at a club. This scenario can present some stress to the student and allow them to demonstrate techniques after "failing" to deescalate a confrontational situation, while keeping the real danger out of it.

Combat effective!

Thank you for your suggestions, we already do what we call blind fighting in the variation phase. We also do things like having self-defense training in the outdoors (rain,snow, at night, on gravel, etc). Also a big part of this training is apparel. We require students to execute all techniques in their normal attire. This type of training is very valuable. Of course spontaneous defense and variation training should be very limited at the lower levels of ability. I am also a big believer of keeping techniques as simple as possible, and using techniques that are effective in similar scenerios. Remember Hick's law!

K.Mabon

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USCMAAI wrote:
I am also a big believer of keeping techniques as simple as possible, and using techniques that are effective in similar scenerios.

Me too. I think MMA has helped show that this is wise for anyone fighting someone of any style. I also believe in training in street clothes. While I respect the traditions behind the gi, I think its time has past and present day realism is the best way to go.

Another intriguing training scenario is having someone be accosted while getting into or out of their car. Trying to fight from a car seat against a car jacker, for instance, presents some unique challenges. Escaping to or from underneath a car is also difficult. Having one or more additional persons in the car who may or may not be trained adds complexity, particularly where children, infants, or older folks are involved.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

shogeri
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Instructor in Internal, External, Mixed Styles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing better than realism, practicality, and intent.

Awesome insight!

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

USCMAAI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shogeri wrote:
There is nothing better than realism, practicality, and intent.

Awesome insight!

Thank you!

K.Mabon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: