Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Closed VS Open Testing Cycles
Closed
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Open
83%
 83%  [ 10 ]
Neither
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
We used to have ours open but switched to closed. Mainly because of the kids. I realize it's nice for parents to watch their kids but the main reason we did it is because those same parents like to criticize others. Parents can be pretty deluded when it comes to their kids and wonder why little their little Jimmy didn't pass when he is clearly better than Bobbie.

Classes are always open to watch so they can see their kids there and 1st dan gradings are usually open to all.

I can respect that angle of why to have it closed, I it's an interesting one. I have witnessed these types of things throughout all activities and not just testing. Why is he testing again, why is he always s using him as an example and so on.

I happen to think it's a normal part of life though. I also think that attitude is going to be there or not be there and weather they see the testing or not, isn't going to change that... Unless they are color blind and don't notice the new belt lol

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closed to the public and anyone not directly concerned. The dojo is very small with slightly over a dozen regular students and a total of around 30-35. The reason for closed cycles is that most of the time the person concerned is notified less than a week before. Another reason is that there is no space for sitting an audience and the presence of one would be disruptive to both the evaluators and the person being tested.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:
IMO, ANY class, regardless of what is going on, should be open to parents and spectators. If it isn't, then I sould be suspect as to what is going on in there, especially with kids.

In a very simple and direct way you have stated some of what I was saying. I felt that way when my son had his testing that I couldn't see. In my mind, if he failed that leaves me with so many questions as to how or why no understanding of his progression or lack there of

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
Montana wrote:
IMO, ANY class, regardless of what is going on, should be open to parents and spectators. If it isn't, then I sould be suspect as to what is going on in there, especially with kids.

In a very simple and direct way you have stated some of what I was saying. I felt that way when my son had his testing that I couldn't see. In my mind, if he failed that leaves me with so many questions as to how or why no understanding of his progression or lack there of

Would the instructor not tell you and your son why he did not pass if he failed? Another reason our's are closed are so if someone fails, that's a private thing between them, their instructor and the other candidates. Obviously it can be seen that they don't have the new belt but it is then up to them if they want to share with others how it went. Regardless my instructor always takes time to go through with the student what they need to do to pass next time.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
We used to have ours open but switched to closed. Mainly because of the kids. I realize it's nice for parents to watch their kids but the main reason we did it is because those same parents like to criticize others. Parents can be pretty deluded when it comes to their kids and wonder why little their little Jimmy didn't pass when he is clearly better than Bobbie.

Classes are always open to watch so they can see their kids there and 1st dan gradings are usually open to all.

That's why in the history of our Hombu, both of them, there's a viewing area for every visitor who wants to watch a class or a testing cycle. It's glassed, has speakers that allow listening in on the going ones, and it's soundproof so that there's no type of distractions for both the students/instructors.

Yes, our testing cycles, with this in mind, are still open!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having an isolated sound proofed viewing area is a great option. Unfortunate it is not the norm, nor is it feasible for the average dojo. If the testing is made out to be a public thing where parents or anybody is allowed to come in, it will be very difficult, nigh on impossible to keep all these spectators from becoming a distraction. Some will constantly be talking, others will not be able to refrain from attempting to cheer as they would at a tournament. Others still will argue about the results or even question the evaluation panel's decision.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:
Montana wrote:

Would the instructor not tell you and your son why he did not pass if he failed? Another reason our's are closed are so if someone fails, that's a private thing between them, their instructor and the other candidates. Obviously it can be seen that they don't have the new belt but it is then up to them if they want to share with others how it went. Regardless my instructor always takes time to go through with the student what they need to do to pass next time.

Im not sure really but yes I assume he would. I also assume I'd have to just take his word for it and couldn't form my own opinion about how to help my son improve from what I see, obviously I know his abilities and training habits and so on.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Having an isolated sound proofed viewing area is a great option. Unfortunate it is not the norm, nor is it feasible for the average dojo. If the testing is made out to be a public thing where parents or anybody is allowed to come in, it will be very difficult, nigh on impossible to keep all these spectators from becoming a distraction. Some will constantly be talking, others will not be able to refrain from attempting to cheer as they would at a tournament. Others still will argue about the results or even question the evaluation panel's decision.

I suppose it depends on how testing is done but in my testing I am very loud in my commands and if people talked you wouldn't hear a thing. Just not an issue. In the instances in which a student may be performing a hyung/form and things are quiet, people tend to be respectful of that. I'm not knocking a testing that is more quietly performed and lower energy BUT high energy and commanding the room is absolutely essential in how I do a testing so these things aren't really an issue. I have some videos around in sure, I'll have to post a small clip of what I mean.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:

Solid post!!

That's why we've the type of viewing area that we have...visitors are...out of sight...out of mind!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt many instructors would envy such an installation and wish they had one like it in their dojo. It is certainly a great advantage and well worth the expense to have one set up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: