Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Testing for 9th Degree Reply with quote

Chief Master GK Lee 9th degree testing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sBm4AATsa8

How did you like the test?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think your link is missing a bit. Take it this is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sBm4AATsa8

Interesting stuff. Not really what I'm accustomed to as in my style we don't formally test about 7th dan. Instead it's all based on contribution and development of the style rather than physical ability.

Would have thought if you were to have a physical test they would want more of the step sparring and breaking then the bits we saw.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Think your link is missing a bit. Take it this is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sBm4AATsa8

Interesting stuff. Not really what I'm accustomed to as in my style we don't formally test about 7th dan. Instead it's all based on contribution and development of the style rather than physical ability.

Would have thought if you were to have a physical test they would want more of the step sparring and breaking then the bits we saw.
Thanks DWx for the link adjustments; they worked on my end...

(A few of my past styles were also TKD and Tai Chi like yours are DWx.

I agree with your comments that at a higher level contribution is more important than skill level.

As GK Lee fell down after breaking the first boards, wasn't very smooth but hey they broke after all.

I like how the board holders were very well protected just in case of a mistake or an accident due to flying splinters, with head gear and body armor.

The Jackie Chan with a fan scenario was entertaining but Mmm, it was a laugh after all.

For grapplers, the question is "Where was the resistance in the testing?"

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it was more a demonstration piece than test per se. One would assume other criteria was tested over a period of time in classes and other settings.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
I would say it was more a demonstration piece than test per se. One would assume other criteria was tested over a period of time in classes and other settings.
If it was demonstrative, then kicking boards and falling down wasn't a good example of how to do it.

catlike
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually pretty far from judgemental when it comes to MA. Very much each to their own and all that.

The guy can martial arts ok. For sure, he's got it all, no question.

I'm not saying I'm taking anything away from anyone's art. But to me, that whole video looked like NASCAR. Stripey suits covered in logos, drums, massively showboateyness, etc, etc. Not for me, sorry!

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit too showy for me, surprised that such a high rank grading would be so "public"..........

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three twirling drummer girls was visually entertaining with their colorful costumes but the drumming was very noisy for my liking, would have preferred music less thumping and more nature based with flutes and water feature sounds.

The kata wasn't to my liking either, largely due to preferring loose, fluid, quickness than stiff, slow, jerky movements.

The self defense section seemed very staged and unrealistic but this is nothing new in demonstrations of this kind.

My opinions overall are none flattering, if it was entertainment for those in attendance and they enjoyed the day being there, I'm happy for them.

My intent is not to be a killjoy of this occasion but being true to myself as we all need to be, I don't see why all the fuss for this test.

Of course there was more to this occasion than the test, but in all honesty I'm not impressed with what was displayed in the video from start to finish.

Fine to give another degree for recruiting 10,000 new members to the style, that for me is more worthwhile and believable.

To add a new facet to the style or showing and displaying or explaining an extraordinary skill in the style such as a new kata or movement or theory, I would go along with that as a promotion also.

Or saved a person from a burning building, heck give him two degrees and make it an even 10.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I would call that an actual Dan grading. More of a demonstration mixed with a festival than anything.

Nothing taken away from the person (I'm sure he deserves the grade) but I wouldn't call that a legitimate grading. In fact I can't remember the last grading I've been to above Rokudan. These grades are typically given for years of service and contributions to the art and are not based on knowledge/skill in the sense that they would be tested for.

I'm not a TKD practitioner so maybe I'm wrong. If this is the case and this was an actual grading test... I've got nothing good to say so I'll end it there.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn’t seem anything like a test/grading to me, just an exhibition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: