Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: The Case for Wrestling Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

Many martial arts utilize some form of takedown as part of their response pattern or to accomplish their principle loop for conflict. There are a multitude of reasons for the inclusion of some way to put an opponent on the ground.

If your opponent is on the ground, and you're standing, you have a serious tactical advantage when it comes to escape, striking, or weapon escalation. If you are dealing with multiple threats, one on the ground drastically increases your odds of dealing with the others. Conversely, you might work in a field where controlling a subject is paramount, law enforcement for example. One of the easiest ways to control this subject is often to put them on the ground. Therefore, some way to bring this strategy into play is important.

If one is out of a purely striking art, with minimal or no takedown movements, this takes away an efficient tool that can be very useful. For those that are looking towards a well-rounded ability to defend themselves, and not simply a single focused sport outlet, adding some training into takedowns can be highly beneficial.

The next question is: What to cross train in? There are a lot of options out there, everything from small joint manipulation to various forms of aiki and, of course where everyone's mind probably goes, judo. Let's start by agreeing that if you're looking to train one of those arts for the experience of training that particular art then by all means that's the best choice. However, is it the best choice for combatively cross training?

Aikido

Let's look at some of the pros and cons of each. Aikido is a beautiful art, and if one wanted to learn the ins and outs of manipulation of force, it would be an excellent choice in and of itself. However, for integration into a combative paradigm, it has several drawbacks. Chief among them is the reliance on committed, single-vector attacks by the uke. As seen in this clip from skilled aikidoka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicHsMC6rxM

Again, I'm not suggesting that this is an inadequate martial art. But the clip is an example of what I've seen across the board in aikido training, an uke with a single, committed attack with no change in energy, from the uke, during the course of the movement. This is excellent if your goal is to manipulate energy but one has to question the efficient integration into self defense.

Another problem is adopting circular energy into a response system that might be very linear in nature, or in cases of many western striking arts based on smaller angles and side to side movements.

There are several joint manipulation arts, and some forms of karate that incorporate them, that lend themselves to takedowns. For example, I go to footage from a recent belt test I was part of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQtTpWZDAgE

Here's the thing you'll note in the clip, although the movement does affect a takedown, that's not the primary function of the movement. The primary function of most joint manipulation is to destroy joints and break them so that they can no longer be used to attack you. This in and of itself is a good idea to have in your toolbox, but it's not a reliable takedown.

It's also important to note that they, as aikido, function best against a committed attack on a single vector. If we look at their primary application, this is more than acceptable.

Judo

The most traditional art that we normally think of when we discuss adding takedowns into your defense pattern in judo. This is a logical course of action considering that it's an art built around throwing your opponent. There are a lot of strengths to consider here, largely due to its specialty of putting someone on the ground.

If you want to spend some time in a traditional art to add to your ability to put people on the ground, let's face it, judo is a good choice. You still see plenty of it in BJJ events, despite current trends in other directions. On the down side, let's face it, getting slammed into the mat head over heels time and time again isn't fun, and according to current trends, it can injure pretty badly.

Granted, this is a limited study, but worth noting. Another issue to look at is the tendency of judo work to place your back towards an opponent, or for the reaping leg to leave the ground excessively.

Still, we have to give credit that judo remains a viable option for adding takedowns to your curriculum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O47-csFVvII

Wrestling

Another option is wrestling, which has long been overlooked but is quickly gaining acceptance as we see it becoming a viable entry into the world of MMA. Folk or Greco-Roman have been considered outside the realm of "martial arts" by too many for too long One of the great things about leagues like the UFC is the arena that they've given wrestlers to showcase themselves as martial arts practitioners.

Wrestling has the advantage of several options that keep you facing your opponent, keep your feet on the floor, and are specifically designed to put an adversary on the ground and control him. The ability of a wrestler to drive an opponent with forward pressure is phenomenal. It's this pressure that keeps an opponent busy and off balance. It keeps them from effectively striking counters in many instances.

The single and the double, as well as variations of these are the bread and butter movements to take away from folk wrestling. They attack the base, limit movement of a bad guy and allow you to maintain forward fighting pressure. Additionally, there are plenty of variations to account for subtle differences in each situation you might find yourself.

Here is some evaluation footage shot to tighten my game early in 2011. It's pretty well rounded in the basic idea of the double and single:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGqdv-lYHyE

As one can see, it's relatively simple to train the motions without the heavy impact of body contact throws. Further, the basic double and single rely on no intertwining of the legs for tripping which can lead to blown knees. It's my belief that it's these factors, almost more than the effectiveness alone, that account for the upswing in wrestling we've seen used in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournaments of late.

When integrated into a format where striking is allowed, we can see the usefulness of the double, single and related movements. Each attempt maintains forward pressure, allows for control of an opponent's striking and reliably puts you in a position to maintain top control:

Standing single variant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj1eF7m2Wnc
Double with lift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eokkl1UBvY
Underhook trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUKHwa7ywr0

Sorry for the rehash of some video, but this is footage I had that readily supported my thesis. The integration of wrestling into my personal skill set has been highly useful and combatively efficient. Additionally, I was able to train takedowns to a reliable level without taking slam after slam into the mat, something that my 40 year old body has little to no interest in. It also gave me a deeper tool chest that allowed me to have takedowns that were not predicated on controlling a small joint.

If you have the potential need for takedowns in your art, I think it's safe to say that they are indeed useful. Considering wrestling as a martial art worthy of cross training has been shown to be essential in high level mixed martial arts competition, adopted by BJJ practitioners, and should equally appeal to individual martial artists looking for combative options.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission, Alex. The videos definitely add a lot to the article!

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most solid articles on this subject that I've read. Well written, which isn't a surprise, and with the addition of video's, well, if a picture is worth a thousand words, than a video must be worth ten-thousand words.

Quote:
The primary function of most joint manipulation is to destroy joints and break them so that they can no longer be used to attack you. This in and of itself is a good idea to have in your toolbox, but it's not a reliable takedown.

Being a proponent in a style of karate that heavily incorporates joint manipulations, I feel that I must say this, and my opinion is from what my style of karate teaches as well as what I've found to be true for me as well. My primary function is to not destroy joints and break them so that they can no longer be used to attack me, but instead, my primary function is to control my opponent during said moment at hand. Can I destroy and break joints? Yes, but only as a last resort, if need be.

In that, I do agree that the reliability isn't great, however, many circumstances and the practitioner will be dependent on its success. Nonetheless, imho, the biggest factor in the success ratio depends on the practitioners knowledge and the like. Having the ability to adapt to the ever changing circumstances will play the biggest part in one being able to manipulate successfully.

Still, great article, Alex, thank you for it!!

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was an Aikido skeptic for many years. I had tried a stylized version of it at collage and was put off. I watched a seminar of Aikido here in North Wales and just couldn't work it out. It looked compliant, simple yet devolved from real self defense, or my perception of it. This was until I met a Sensei and an association that taught the real thing. Much like most martial arts, the way they are taught and the principals they use vary massively along the spectrum of the world of their style of budo. It is quite frightening. You can never generalize about any martial art; "Karate is like this" or "Judo is like that", it depends on the teacher and their linage of practice and the way they teach and have been taught. You can see patterns in each specific organisation, but at the end of the day each Sensei you meet is different and so are you. It is luck, but my Aikido under Sensei Halsall has been a revelation. It's real and it works. The principals are mind blowing in their simplicity, there is no stance, no posture, no technique; even the circle ethos is an illusion. It took me 25 years to find this way; I thought I knew, but I knew nothing.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article Alex.

It's a shame wrestling never really took off in the UK like it did in the US. I just tried a quick Google search for my local area and didn't come up with any proper wrestling schools on the 1st page (aside from WWE style ). There are of course plenty of MMA schools claiming to teach it as part of the curriculum but I'm no dedicated schools. Plenty of Aikido and Judo dojos though.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article. Our jujitsu system uses many techniques that are wrestling based-in fact oftentimes classes look like wrestling practice when we are drilling certain skills. I think many are universal and easily added to skill sets regardless of style.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this article, Alex. Great use of videos in making your points, and adding to the clarification of your article, to boot. I also don't feel that Wrestling gets nearly enough credit for what it has to offer as a Martial Art. Thanks for putting this out there.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

I agree bushido man, there's never been enough respect for wrestling. That said, the MMA wave right now is really helping it out as we see how well it can counter stand up strategies, and (if we're being honest) be a real problem for jiu jitsu guys with its top heavy game.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Thanks all!

I agree bushido man, there's never been enough respect for wrestling. That said, the MMA wave right now is really helping it out as we see how well it can counter stand up strategies, and (if we're being honest) be a real problem for jiu jitsu guys with its top heavy game.
I think one of the advantages that Wrestling has is that its so offensive minded. Wrestlers don't train from their back, because you can't win from there. And although that can hurt them at times, especially when one tries to belly out after a takedown, which gives the opponent their back. Not a good strategy, but given a little training time, a Wrestler can learn some nuances that allow them to work from their back, and get back to the dominant position. I think the overall training mindset of the Wrestler is very advantageous for them.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrestlers have a solid ground game. Having said that, majority of the wins on the mat are from the ground, hence, pinning calls from the referee. Is Wrestling MMA or BJJ or other styles of the MA that have solid ground games? No! And I'm glad that Wrestling isn't like anything other than what it is.

Imho.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: