Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: The Colored Belt Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

One of the most discussed topics on KarateForums.com and everywhere in the world is the belt. Why is it important (if it is important at all), why bother with the rank, why so many colors, do we care about it, should we wash it? These are few questions that have put the martial arts world on fire as much as these. If we think about it, this rank and belt problem is one that has given headaches to so many students and instructors around the world.

"I don't care about the belt. I use it to tie my pants with." I can't count the times I've heard or read this line. I personally think we are not sincere enough when we say it. First of all, no offense, I use my pants strings to keep the lower part of my Karate uniform tied correctly. If I think of it, the belt is that thing I tie around my waist and it makes me waste some precious time doing it and showing this to others. Why bother? The belt is not important, is it? We don't even need it to tie our pants. Why do we spend money on them and time to learn some proper ways to tie it?

Well... because we CARE about it, although many wouldn't accept it in a life time. I'll be sincere and admit it. I care about my belt. God forgive me I care about my RANK. I have worked like crazy for it. I deserve it and the place it gives me in the dojo. I know what I have got to do in order to go further and how far my goal is. I've heard so many times that ranks are irrelevant. They are, but still we need them. It helps us organize the people in the dojo, keep track of tenure and achievements in the class and so on. It is not humble to wear the colored piece of cloth. And we know in MA world, in certain styles, you must be humble. Still you've got to wear the belt.

I was very amazed when sensei didn't understand my humble behavior, the first and last time I wanted to show it to the world. I wanted them to know I didn't care about the rank and I would gladly wear a "lower" color just to show how humble I am. That happened when I passed the exam from 9th kyu (yellow) to 8th kyu (orange). Trying to be as humble as possible I came next time wearing my yellow belt, although I had received the superior rank and I was supposed to wear the orange. I was so proud of my humble behavior. I expected congratulations and nice words. Guess what? Sensei looked at me and asked me "Why are you not wearing your current rank? You've taken the exam, wear the belt." I was too ashamed to mention my philosophical reasons and I just murmured I have to buy it, as I didn't have the time. So I got away with it and my ego took it quite well.

Why wasn't I allowed to show my modest way of behaving in the dojo? Well I think because it's a rule I accepted when enrolling in the training. I have a rank. I strive for more, I get another, dress accordingly (change the belt) and go on with another cycle. I try to see it as a military thing. In many ways, the MA world is made up of small pseudo military systems. My grandfather, God rest his soul, was an officer and I can't recall the last time I have seen a person involved in the military life who didn't wear the rank because he was feeling "humble" ... I don't think this happens there. Why should it happen here?

Martial arts ranks are different. Still they have one thing in common. They "mark" the ascension from beginner level to advanced master level. The modern life requires many compromises and one of them is considered by some the "rainbow" made up by all the color from white to black. Nowadays we need to know how long it is till the goal is reached, how can we set minor goals, reach them and mark the achievement accordingly. We need the colors to see where we stand in the dojo, in our invisible line between beginning and the new beginning (as the Shodan rank is many times referred to as.) People today are more cautious and tend to question everything, not blindly trust whatever someone says. It's good and it means we are educated consumers who want to know what they get for their money. There are still people who put others on a pedestal and blindly trust them. Maybe it's better to judge all the time, to afford a doubt instead of a fanatic idolization.

Are the colors relevant? Yes and no. They are relevant in a certain dojo affiliated with a certain organization. In my dojo a certain belt could mean something and in yours it could be "higher" or "lower". One thing is common. The black belt is considered to be the "highest" color. It is an end and a beginning at the same time. It means you have achieved a certain level and now have to work to refine more. For some organizations it means you can open a school, in others you have to earn some "additional" ranks in order to be able to become a teacher.

We should understand however that these ranks are relevant in our own "yard". I've heard many people say "This brown belt is not better than an orange belt in my dojo". And that is because in every school things are done in a certain way. Ranks are awarded according to a certain set of values. Some instructors are more "relaxed". Maybe it's a McDojo, maybe the person is just "kinder" and the ranks are awarded after less effort from the student than in other schools. In some dojos you have to go through a real ordeal for a "lower" rank while in others the exam is a breeze or it doesn't exist at all, the rank being awarded when the instructor feels his student is ready for new "challenges". A higher rank is "cool". It means you are more important in the dojo, that you have access to more interesting techniques and mostly it means you've reached a level and have to cope with the new situation. A rank, a "darker" belt means before anything else, more work. More discipline and dedication. An accurate technique, correct stance, more effort. It is a pride and an obligation.

Do I wash my belt? I do. If it gets dirty I clean it. It is my PERSONAL choice and I think this is how I should handle the problem. It's nice to see how many people get quite passionate about this piece of cloth. Some are so "mystical" they don't wash it, don't let it drop on the ground because they feel it wouldn't be an appropriate way to handle it. It's almost supernatural. And others come to say I don't think it's good for anything rather than to tie my pants. It would be interesting to know how many of the people who take an almost "religious" care of the belt come to say they don't care about the rank implications of that belt.

I would like to end this small article by saluting all the people who have got the chance to wear the infamous belt, who cried in despair because they haven't passed a grading, who caressed their belt with tears of joy after passing a "killer" exam, who felt good in their dojo because they could show their rank, who filled their belt with sweat and blood trying to become better and to all those who offer others the joy of an accomplished goal by handing them their new belt.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article. Your rank is an obligation and along with it comes more responsibility. That's how we grow!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

pineapple
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramymensa, I like your article. I've read a lot of posts where people feel that belts are unimportant, however there is an aspect of utilizing a belt system that many do not think about. Belts give people goals and having goals are important in promoting a drive to contnue training and learning.
I feel that without belts, a lot of students would train for a shorter time, quit, and claim that they know it all.

Fish
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the modern world, most people just don't have the ability to train full time every day, or to give as much time to it as earlier practitioners of martial arts were able to do. Given that most of us can only spend a few hours a week training, the belt system is a good way of marking progress and attainment over the years. It gives us goals to train for along the way.

One of the things I've just realised (having just gained my green belt a couple of weeks ago) is that you spend a lot of time practising for a new grade, you get good at the techniques and kata required to pass that test, and then, when you've passed it you become like a beginner all over again learning harder techniques and more complicated kata for the next belt. So gaining the new belt gives you both a sense of achievement, but also a recognition of how far there is yet to go.

Also, in every sport there are training cycles - periods of intensity followed by periods of rest, followed by periods of new challenges and learning, followed by periods of intensity. The belt system naturally builds such cycles into karate (imho).

(Shodan 11th Oct 0>img src="images/smiles/icon_cool.gif" alt="">

Sam
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF TKD, Wu Shu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a fantastic article.... summarized the whole belt problem people have very well... sometimes humility is not really humility if you do it on purpose

fallen_milkman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kuntao

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article. I have absolutely nothing to add.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article! Even if I still think the belt system should be not a driving element, I think it has some importance. The only thing is that people has to watch out for its drawbacks.

Lasz
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice read, I for one like my belt, apart from what you said I think it also earns you respect in the dojo and also after a certain rank it give you some authority so that you can deal with beginners to teach basic techniques.

AceKing
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article, i feel the same about my belt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: