Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: The Hour Of Decision!! Reply with quote

One of the most painful decision(s) that I've had to make in quite a long time has finally meet me at the crossroads.

Just last week, after having visited my Cardiologist, I was quite vexed. With my hands trembling, I made the hardest phone call to our Hombu. I ordered an emergency meeting of the SKKA's Hierarchy, as well as with every department head, in a joint session via Teleconference, as well as with our Legal Team, which is an outside entity, to openly discuss available options, if there are any, concerning my continued value as the SKKA/Hombu's Kaicho.

While the doctor and patient privilege/confidentiality exists, I brought the entire team up to speed concerning my current medical situation with what I was comfortable to convey.

I've not, as of yet, completed my Nuclear Stress Test; it's been rescheduled several times due to its costs; the NST isn't one of the most affordable procedures, even though it's performed in the doctors office, and not in a hospital, like my Cardiac Inversion [CI] was. This, for now, is all that I'm willing to say then, and now, concerning as to why the NST has been rescheduled several times.

I explained to the teams that the difference from an NST and an TMST [Tread Mill Stress Test] is heart rates. The NST isn't concerned with my heart rate reaching 185bpm, whereas the TMST is difficult to reach that target heart rate. Why? My Cardiac Inversion was a huge success, and the highest my heart rate reaches since then, is approximately 155bpm.

What my cardiologist wants to find out is how my heart is performing whenever I'm AT REST. All test, thus far, since the CI, indicate that I've a strong heart, however, to obtain a full picture of what's going on with my heart at all types of heart rates is through the NST. The NST utilizes chemical dyes in order for my cardiologist to "see" my heart in action.

Here's where the rug's pulled out from beneath me.

My cardiologist has strictly prohibited any travel, especially air travel!! How can a cardiologist restrict my travel?? Is there a form he has to fill out?? Is there a database he can extend his umbrella of care?? NO...or...I don't know!! I can do whatever I want! I can travel if I want to!

HOWEVER...have anyone here ever heard of ADA?!!?

ADA!! That means, Against Doctor Advice!! Those three words carry quite a bit of power. These three words protect the doctor, and these three words get my attention...and my attention has been got. If I ignore his medical advice, I would have to find another cardiologist to care for me, and right now, I'm not ready, nor willing, to do that.

I informed the teams that, if I wanted to, I could travel, but I'm not going against my doctor's advice!! Lump it, like it, hate it, whatever it, but it's my life, and it's my decision.

I'm unable to travel, for now, to our Hombu in Southern California!! As Kaicho, this time of the year, I'd be traveling to each and every SKKA affiliated Shindokan dojo for the preparations of our up and coming Annual Testing Cycle held at the Hombu every last week of June, and first week of July.

Long story [to late, this story is already too long, Bob] short...

At the present time, I'm unable to fulfill my duties and responsibilities as Kaicho for both professional as well as personal reasons!!

I ordered those in attendance to make a decision as to my abilities to continue as Kaicho; I tabled the vote for their consideration.

Here are the results:

26 Nays
2 Yays
3 Abstains

The Nays have it!! Our Legal Team has crossed all of the 't's' and dotted all of the 'i's' to insure a smooth transition as I step down, and a new Kaicho is elected.

I'm not being removed from office...I'm not being banned from office...I'm not being voted out of office...or anything like that, but what we have in place, is the nearest thing to the 25th Amendment of the US Constitution, and no, we're not saying that what we do have is as important as the 25th Amendment of the US Constitution, because what we do have, isn't that involving as well as not that important...it's all we have in situations similar to what we're/I'm facing right now. I do sign a paper as I step down, and whenever, if ever, I'm able to return, then I sign a different paper to resume the Kaicho post.

What does that mean??

I'm, for the moment, NO LONGER THE KAICHO of the SKKA/Hombu!!

I'm stepping down!! Nothing else I can do!! The teams have spoken!!

If I'm unable to travel, then how can I perform all of my required duties and responsibilities as Kaicho?? I'm in Houston, TX...Hombu is in Van Nuys, CA...that's 1,385 miles that separate us!!

There's only so much of my duties that I can do from my home...only so much!!!!

The curtains are drawn...the page is turned...and the lights are dimmed...for now!!

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear, but 50 years in the Martial arts is a long time. I'm currently in my 27th. Hope everything works out and perhaps you can return one day.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of the ADA (Against Doctors Advice). As far as i'm aware (not sure about in the USA) they can't stop you from travelling.

However I believe there is a form they are supposed to fill out if you still wish to travel which is against their advice, and supposed to supply you with a copy.

I respect your wish to step down from your role as Kaicho.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My utmost respect for your decision to step down. It shows your selfless character and your commitment to the organization and student body rather than yourself.

It would be selfish to maneuver to stay as Kaicho...
If you travel against your doctor's advice and the worst occurred, you'd be putting your needs over your family's needs to have you around.

If you stayed onboard as Kaicho and didn't travel, you'd compromise your position for your own unwillingness to step down.

If you hid the advice from everyone and didn't inform your doctor of your travel, you'd be lying to everyone and putting your needs before everyone else.

Like the person of character you are, you did what was best for everyone, even though it wasn't what may have been best for you emotionally.

You'd think it would be easy for everyone to do the right thing. I've seen too many people not do this because they don't want to let go of their position of power.

Deepest bow of respect (I'm not good with emojis).

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough decision but in my mind you did the responsible thing and the honorable thing. I know that it wasn't easy but it was the right thing.

My deepest admiration for your ethic's. I bow to you.

On another note I deeply hope everything comes out ok with your tests and you can return to life as you wish to live it. It's scary to think of the unknowns as I have been through this with a cancer scare and my father and even friends have been through medical scares. The thing to do is to stay positive and face it in your own way.

Keep your head up and I'll be praying for you and your family. God bless.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Tough decision but in my mind you did the responsible thing and the honorable thing. I know that it wasn't easy but it was the right thing.

My deepest admiration for your ethic's. I bow to you.

On another note I deeply hope everything comes out ok with your tests and you can return to life as you wish to live it. It's scary to think of the unknowns as I have been through this with a cancer scare and my father and even friends have been through medical scares. The thing to do is to stay positive and face it in your own way.

Keep your head up and I'll be praying for you and your family. God bless.

Same thoughts here. Matsu just said them better and earlier.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank each and everyone of you for your kind and supportive words; means everything to me.

Student Body, ALWAYS before anyone, especially me!! They deserve that, imho!!

The one thing that I need to remember, is that I'm not being put out to pasture...permanently removed. When the doctor clears me to resume my traveling, I'll sign the one piece of paper that reinstates me as the current Kaicho.

And if this never happens, then it never happens!!

I want what's best for the Student Body!!!!

We've an interim Kaicho now!! And, we've an interim Kancho, as well. They're settling down into their new roles quite well. And I'm on conference calls with them once per week, and whenever they need to, to help them assimilate into their new positions. Kaicho and Kancho, can be, and will be, from time to time, a challenge, if one's not use to the fast pace it warrants and demands.

Because they're interim, they will not be promoted in rank, per out By-Laws, unless they are made permanent. Then, they will be promoted per our By-Laws.

Last edited by sensei8 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday I still want to train at least for a day under you.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
Someday I still want to train at least for a day under you.

Thank you, LLLEARNER, for your kind and supportive words; they mean everything to me. Hopefully, one day we shall share the same floor; it would be an honor!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I thank each and everyone of you for your kind and supportive words; means everything to me.

Student Body, ALWAYS before anyone, especially me!! They deserve that, imho!!

The one thing that I need to remember, is that I'm not being put out to pasture...permanently removed. When the doctor clears me to resume my traveling, I'll sign the one piece of paper that reinstates me as the current Kaicho.

And if this never happens, then it never happens!!

I want what's best for the Student Body!!!!

We've an interim Kaicho now!! And, we've an interim Kancho, as well. They're settling down into their new roles quite well. And I'm on conference calls with them once per week, and whenever they need to, to help them assimilate into their new positions. Kaicho and Kancho, can be, and will be, from time to time, a challenge, if one's not use to the fast pace it warrants and demands.

Because they're interim, they will not be promoted in rank, per out By-Laws, unless they are made permanent. Then, they will be promoted per our By-Laws.

I love and respect your values and the fact that you put your students before yourself. Again I bow to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: