Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bushido Brown
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: The Hunt for a Gi: Tokon and a Fat Guy Reply with quote

Yo,

So, I'm on the market for my first karategi. Of course, I'm short and overweight... not an ideal body shape for a gi. Having searched through the forums for insight, I thought to go for a large tournament-cut gi. My thought is that I would order a large size (say 8 ) in a tournament cut, which would then sit much like a traditional cut given my shortness. That way, I would minimize the need for hemming while obtaining a gi that would still allow me to move around and such.

So, enter the Kamikaze/Tokon. Specifically, the Tokon website sells the Europa in Size 8, which seems as if it might be the best way to go. I've been hard pressed to find a larger gi; especially a larger tournament cut gi. Then I run into a problem: I go to checkout when I find that the certificate authority for www.tokon.com expired in August! There's no assurance that the payment page really is Tokon and not some grifters. This brings me to two questions:

1) Does a Tokon Europa seem like a way to go? I know that you don't have my measurements, but I don't know if it would be appropriate to go into all of that since these things come up so very often.

2) Thoughts on the security problem? I've not been able to find any other (reputable) retailer that carries anything Tokon over size 7; I fear that 7 will be too small for me.

Unrelated: 3) Am I missing it, or does Tokon sell every color of belt except white?

Thanks in advance for whatever help/advice you guys can provide

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A size 8 might fit you, but, you're going to have to hem UP the pants A LOT!!

No, the reason that Tokon doesn't sell the white belt is more than likely that the white belt comes WITH the gi you'd be buying; this is industry wide.

Besides, with all of your training, you'll be getting a smaller gi because you'll have lost the weight before you know it.

Bushido Brown
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
No, the reason that Tokon doesn't sell the white belt is more than likely that the white belt comes WITH the gi you'd be buying; this is industry wide.

That's interesting... I did not realize this. Some sites explicitly mention selling dogi with white belts, but the vast majority make no mention of it. Good call!

sensei8 wrote:
Besides, with all of your training, you'll be getting a smaller gi because you'll have lost the weight before you know it.

I can only hope...

I'm worried that a size 8 might be a little too loose... but maybe it won't be... it's so hard to tell. I'm coming in right at 5' 10"... would a tournament cut size 7 require a lot of hemming? Maybe I'll try for a size 7 and hope that it isn't too tight on me...

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a store near you that sells karate equipment? It would be SO much easier if you could go and try things on before you buy them. Otherwise you'll be doing a lot of buying and returning until you find one that fits. I remember when I bought my first gi since I was little and I had no idea what size to get (I'm 5'7'' and also fat). I went by the weight and bought a size six and it fit pretty well. I just bought some hemming tape and hemmed the pants and not it fits pretty much perfectly.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to buy larger pants, like 7s and 8s, and then get them hemmed up all the time. You could go to a tailer and get one personally made...

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Europa is unusually nice for a first gi. It does NOT normally include a white belt. Most middle to high end gis do not. Europa buyers usually already have a belt.

I just ran out to our warehouse and checked a Europa size 7. The pants were about 27.5" across the hips and about 44" or so from the top of the waist to the bottom of the hem. We don't have a size 8 in stock. Remember, a gi is not supposed to fit like typical street clothes. You need more room for freedom of movement. Hope this helps!

By the way, properly hemming a gi like a Europa might cost more than hemming a student gi. Better gis usually have more lines of stitching and sometimes have a separate piece of material sewn into the hem (pants and sleeves). More labor could mean higher cost.

We don't have gis listed on our website yet, but www.tokon.com is a legitimate website. If you're concerned about the security of their shopping cart, shoot them an email or give them a call. Maybe they can put you at ease or fix the problem.

Good luck finding the right gi for you!

sperki
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to point out that 5'10" is NOT short! I like to think that anything above 5'6" is average (for a male). For some reason everyone I know seems to disagree with me.

BDPulver
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Kobudo, Knife Training

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'1" and bit overwieght. Normally I just look at the size charts and try to jugde what would fit me best, so far I found 7 to 8 but have to have them hem'd up.

and on the height thing, when I was going through basic at ft. benning they where looking for recruits for the old guard, you had to be 5'10" to 6'2 (or i think 3" ). Which elimanated alot of the guys I was with. I still wish I went.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sperki wrote:
I'd just like to point out that 5'10" is NOT short! I like to think that anything above 5'6" is average (for a male). For some reason everyone I know seems to disagree with me.

Ha! Yeah, I thought the same thing. I think average height for a male in the US is about 5' 10". I don't know what the standard deviation or whatever is, but I'd say anyone within about 2" of that is average.

Calling yourself short at 5'10" is just insulting to those of us who are. Do it again, and I'll punch you in your kneecaps!

sperki
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! After visiting the Dr. yesterday I am officially 5'7", even without my shoes on. My wife still doesn't believe me, but she's not an MD (or even an RN)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: