Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KarateEd
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: The Practicality of Typical Martial Arts Weapons Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

Having been involved in various martial arts (MA) for some time, I have trained with a number of typical martial art weapons, but by no means all of them. When I initially began martial arts, and was much younger, I thought that it was "cool" to learn whatever weapon was prominent in the latest MA movie. As I have grown older and much less influenced by what I saw in those Saturday morning Kung Fu movies, my enthusiasm for certain weapons has waned. I now consider the practicality of the weapon first and foremost. I have progressed to the point that I am not enthusiastic about a weapon I deem impractical, unless I have some fondness for it and just want to learn its use for the sake of learning.

However, to avoid being arbitrary, I do have a few guidelines for judging the practicality of a weapon. Before I go any further I will state that I am not considering guns or knives. Both are effective weapons and practical for self defense. But, these weapons are controlled (heavily in some areas) and are easily recognized as weapons and are not often readily found lying about, unless in your own home.

Back to the guidelines, I consider the ability to randomly find something that is close enough to the actual weapon that it may be a viable substitute. For example, someone finding and using a broom handle as a makeshift jo. Also, I consider the ability for a weapon to go unrecognized as such when seen by the average person. There is a thorough martial art involving the use of a simple walking cane. This weapon is not recognized by most people as a weapon. As a matter of fact, a friend of mine once brought his walking cane with him to a large downtown celebration he was attending with his family. He actually utilized the cane in a very minor altercation to dissuade his opponent from any further action. It worked quite well and he was free to bring it along because everyone else thought he needed it to get around. So, when it comes to weapons, I consider their availability and their nonthreatening nature.

Availability: I consider availability first because it is sometimes impractical to carry a weapon on one's person. However, should the need arise and the use of a weapon be felt necessary to ensure one's survival, it would be a good time to know how to use that broom handle, wouldn't it?

Nonthreatening nature: This applies to weapons that are being carried but do not appear as a weapon to the average person. Unfortunately, as stated above, it isn't always practical to carry a weapon, whether it looks like one or not. However, when carrying one, the availability is very high. If people do not perceive it as a weapon, it can be carried frequently and even openly.

Here is a short list of weapons and how I think they measure up when it comes to availability and nonthreatening nature I am not "putting down" any weapon, just measuring it against my criteria. For the record, I am fascinated with the use of the sword and hope to study Kendo or Iaido someday, but I know that a sword is readily available and it can't be toted around town girded about one's waist.

Arnis sticks – sticks are everywhere. The availability of this weapon is pretty high, but you really can't walk around with sticks in your hand without looking like you're up to something. However, I think it would be invaluable to know how to use sticks. If I was designing a MA curriculum, this would be one of the first weapons taught.

Cane – not readily available if you're not already carrying one. However, they can be carried openly in most cases and people won't recognize them as a weapon. This would definitely be in my curriculum.

Bo or jo staff – once again, sticks are everywhere. Not the most practical to carry. However, I did once see, at a classic car show, what appeared to be an able bodied man with a large walking stick. No one questioned him concerning the walking stick as far as I know, but if he knew how to handle it, he had a formidable weapon readily available. Also, since the show was outside he would have had plenty of room to use it.

Nunchaku – two sticks that are connected with a rope or chain are not readily available for most people. Having them on one's person, in some states, is illegal. But they do look cool when handled by someone that really knows how to use them and they can deliver a serious blow.

Sai – once again, can be fun to watch an expert use them, but not practical to carry (probably not legal in most places) and not readily available.

Sword – see "sai" above. However, I do think, perhaps, basic sword movements could be utilized using a stick instead to defend oneself. It worked for Miyamoto Musashi.

Kobutan – readily available and doesn't look like a weapon, just an unusual key chain.

Once again, I am not knocking certain weapons. They all can be fun to learn. Plus, they can help to make a connection to a MA's past that teaches you about that art. Therefore, learning those weapons can help you to better appreciate your MA. Those weapons can be quite devastating when used against an opponent. However, it seems to me that certain weapons are more practical in everyday life than others, due to their availability or their nonthreatening nature (and in some cases, both).

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission, Ed.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid article across the board there Ed. I thank you for it.

Makes one think about ones surroundings when taking a casual walk or when walking to/from the house/car and in/out of public buildings, and what one can find and use should on have to. I surely don't just walk without looking at/for the availability of "weapon(s)" lying on the ground and the like.

Great article Ed!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice synopsis there. Thanks for sharing it with us!

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info-thanks!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that even though you didn't want to consider knives, that the mention of the simple pocket knife would have been a huge winner for you. Folding pocket knives with a blade no longer than 4" are legal in most areas, are inconspicuous to carry, and are readily available to purchase. Just a thought...

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I think that even though you didn't want to consider knives, that the mention of the simple pocket knife would have been a huge winner for you. Folding pocket knives with a blade no longer than 4" are legal in most areas, are inconspicuous to carry, and are readily available to purchase. Just a thought...

This is very true, however, many people have a mental/moral block when it comes to being willing to actually cut someone. Those people would do well not to bring such a weapon into play, as their hesitancy could result in their own weapon being used against them.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

This is very true, however, many people have a mental/moral block when it comes to being willing to actually cut someone. Those people would do well not to bring such a weapon into play, as their hesitancy could result in their own weapon being used against them.
That's a solid point.

KarateEd
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

bushido_man96, it is interesting you mention a pocket knife because I often have one on me.

KarateEd
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I was sticking to typical MA weapons in this article. It might have been better had I included certain knives and, maybe, guns, too.

Sorry for the second post, my first reply was incomplete, but I couldn't edit it.

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: