Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Occam, welcome to KF.com

You might seem a little lost on what to do at this moment, this is perfectly normal.

It takes time to know oneself enough to have a clear decision on which martial art path to take.

A few suggestion:

1) ABC =Always Be Conditioning.
No matter the MA style you choose, you will be better prepared for it if you are physically fit.

2) Use the internet.
Search out martial art styles that appeals to your wants and needs

3) Honestly evaluate yourself.
What are your martial art strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes. Do you have a dynamic personality or are you more layed back.
This could help you on what martial art style is more suitable and those that are not. Tai Chi Chuan is better for those that are more relaxed as opposed to Muay Thai boxing.

4) Use of weaponry.
Some styles have a variety of weapons to work with and some not so much. Perhaps you like samurai swords better than other weapons then that is the direction you should be heading in, or perhaps you don't like weapons but like kicking, then turn your attention to Taekwondo.

5) Role models.
There are more books and videos on martial arts these days than ever thought possible.
Which martial artists in popular culture do you admire the most. Old or young it doesn't matter, For kicking purposes I like Bill Wallace and the Bruce sisters Chloe and Grace.

6) Having a mentor.
Having a mentor that can show you the ropes and give you good advice and keep you safe all at the same time is probably the most difficult thing to find but not impossible. You had a mentor with a bad knee, help him and he will help you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: