Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: The Tenets and Precepts of Kwok Wu Chuen Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

Several years ago, after leaving my beloved West Coast and moving East, I took up my martial arts studies under a new Master Instructor and system. The system is a blend of Tae Kwon Do and Wu Kung which lends for an interesting blend of etiquette, technique, and culture - the Tenets of Tae Kwon Do and the Precepts of Wu Kung are the basis for the philosophy that drives our development of student’s physically, mentally, and spiritually. Here they are presented in brief:

Modesty: There is an art in never making someone else feel that they are less important than you are. We tend to be creatures that are ego driven and putting others before ourselves is a lesson that needs to be visited frequently and worked on often.

Integrity: Being able to discern right from wrong - an act of doing what is right even when no one else is looking takes courage to act and courage to accept the consequences of not acting. This involves not only the integrity of our selves but our art as well.

Courtesy: A simple kindness goes a long way in making others feel valued. Kind words, kind deeds, and kind thoughts lead to a kind and courteous heart.

Etiquette: Manners and traditions are ways in which we maintain the integrity of our art and show loyalty to the paths that we choose in life.

Self Control: Being able to control our bodies, minds, and mouths serves to help us develop self-discipline and self defense skills that help us avoid conflict. The person who wins over himself rather than another is the true victor.

Perseverance: The ability to finish what we start, no matter the obstacle or hardship, teaches us responsibility and creates self-confidence and respect for ourselves.

Indomitable spirit: That which cannot be subdued - the essence of the mind that keeps us coming back for more which is vital for our physical, moral, and spiritual development.

Respect: Simply put respect is earned by treating others the way we want to be treated. The more you give away the more that comes back to you - the “pay it forward” principle of character development. It must be earned!

Never misuse what you have learned: The art is a gift that should be used to protect yourself physically, mentally, and spiritually - not used for personal gain or revenge.

Overcome fear with courage: A strong spirit/mind will help you overcome the challenges and obstacles you face in life and may lead to you discovering new paths and greater successes.

Have faith in your teacher and your chosen martial art: Believe in your teacher and what they are teaching you so that you act with conviction in all things. Loyalty to your teacher and an “empty cup” assure continual learning and growth.

Revere your ancestors: Honor and respect those who came before you and know your history and the origins of your style so that you never forget where you came from or the people who helped you get where you are.

Center you energy: Keep yourself focused on the task at hand and use your energies wisely in the pursuit of your goals.

Focus on reality: Learn to focus your thoughts and keep yourself grounded in the moment. Don’t be distracted by fears and irrational thoughts.

Quest for higher excellence: Don’t settle for the status quo. Commit to being your best everyday - in all that you do!

Covet nothing: Appreciate what you have and value those around you for who and what they are. The grass is not always greener on the other side and misplaced loyalty can lead to disappointment and disaster.

Assume nothing: That which you have direct knowledge of is by far more valuable than hearsay, rumor, and imagination. Seek the answers for yourself and make certain you follow through.

Act with earnestness: Procrastination leads to unfinished projects and unrealized goals. In addition, hesitation opens the door for doubt and fear.

Behave with fortitude: Have the mental and emotional strength to face difficulty, adversity, danger, or temptation with courage.

Strengthen the will: Be tough and don’t be afraid to work hard to achieve your goals or overcome obstacles and hardships.

Learn always: Come to class with an empty cup - ready to learn and grow. There is always something new to learn no matter your experience or position.

Subdue the "I": Think of others first and keep your eyes off of yourself - give without remembering and receive without forgetting.

Train with your mind: Be smart and train efficiently - think before you do!

Teach and grow: The best way to learn and internalize is to teach others and help them along the path you have already trod. Helping others with a pure heart and humility is the path to self-actualization.
http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission. Good principles for life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Good advice to follow for daily life.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the article, and it reminded me of how the Moo Duk Kwan is the philosophical ("Institute of Martial Virtue") side of Soo Bahk Do. I had a conversation not too long ago with a dan member of master rank about the qualities theoretically instilled by following such tenets.

We agreed that they are excellent reinforcements to values taught in the home, and how many parents want their sons and daughters to take part in an activity that buttresses what's emphasized in the home environment. At the very least, these help (they don't raise the child for the parents) in steering the young to developing good values, if not virtues, along the road to adulthood.

But then when we got to adults, we saw the adult not as coming in as Locke's "blank slate," but already formed.

In other words, if the adult enters and is already in tune with the MA virtue direction, that person may find comfort and expression among like-minded, good-willed people. However, if the adult enters with an attitude nothing like this at all, perhaps even scorning such talk as drivel, that person will simply pay lip service, memorizing the codes for testing and touching the right bases as expected, but the individual will likely remain just as callous as ever. I'm thinking of someone in my dojang right now, and he's got great technique, but he's a con-artist when it comes to values/virtues. The thought may be that such individuals don't last, but there's always this one and that one who makes it to dan ranking based on technique/talent, as I expect him to.

Please don't misunderstand. I believe that everything said in the article is a wonderful complement to home values, and that adults who are in this mode will embrace and enjoy what is a solid character foundation, but I just do not believe that the adult who comes in looking down on such virtuous thought will do a 180. Positive character development must begin in the formative years, and continuing to offer outlets of right-reasoning to those who have reached adult years will be welcomed by them as an ongoing fulfilling experience.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right and those that pay it lip service to get what they want are transparent in all areas of their lives...so be it.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: