Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Preacher
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Ramblings Reply with quote

Interesting topic and even more so the responses. I'm sure my posting will differ with the thoughts of many however it is my opinion and I welcome the civil exchange of knowledge from the context of ones opinion and experiences. I ask that you focus on the context of the discussion instead of the spelling as so often is the point by many.

Ki is not some mythical art. It is not a shamans trick or some form of stage act with hidden props and thin strings. It is the harnessing of ones energy. We each, as individuals have it. Different forms of Martial Arts have their own unique way on exercises, breathing, and meditation to help a person become in tune to themselves and harness their own energy. Regardless of the country or martial art practiced it should be of note that the focus is usually in the same area of the body which is said to be the pool of life force.

Probably the most active display or demonstration of Ki is done by the Shaolin Monks. However it should be understood that the Monks received their initial introduction from the Indian Monk Bohdi Dharma. It should also be of interest to Karateka that the Chinese influence of Okinawa was quite substantial before the invasion of the Satsuma Clan.

Martial Arts has its spurts. Not trying to offend but I will clarify that comment. During World War II Westerners came back with stories of guys breaking rocks with their fists, and soon the word of Karate spread. The Korean War introduced the West to the art of Taakgyeon, TKD, and HRD. With Tae Kwon Do being the most popular, then came the Green Hornet and the show with David Carradine. Both good shows but the actions of Bruce Lee and the movies introduced the West to GongFu. Then Came Steven Segal and Aikido become a huge hit, people jumped on the band wagon for that as well. Quite a few bailed when they found it wasnt what they thought. Then came Speakman and Van Damme, and now the big trend is MMA and right behind it is Krav Maga.

So as the evolution of Martial Arts continues one should not, and in my opinion cannot forget the emphasis of the original teachings. Ki being one of them.
In life your given a test
that teaches you a lesson

UnKnownsenSei
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: many...creating my own now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its all real bro. really tho sooo many people cling to the KNOWN aspects of martial art, the world, the universe, life in general. because of this, we forget sometimes that the possible was once impossible u kno. personally i believe that something as great as levitation...may sound tricky to discuss u kno. but as a humanbeing and as a martial ARTIST i cant say that things like that are totally impossible. I mean this thing we call Martial art is an art. combined with the ideal that Art in its truest form is unknown, inspirtational, creative, amazing expression of the soul; How can anyone who calls themselves a martial artist can sit there and say humm....naw thats not real. we are suppose to be embracing the unknown so that we as individuals can become stronger, more intelligent, and furthermore inspirtational people to the world. NEVER limit urself friend.

WireFrame
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chi is a personal development I think. But it's so open to interpretation. Some could say its not Chi that you're using to hit harder, you're just more focused. It's all fragmented and it's all the same thing too.

Personally I believe that people have energy that they can channel and focus, but NOT in a DragonBall Z kind of way or anything stupid like that.

tonydee
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 24 yrs kong soo do, 3 yrs hapkido, bits of others

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking to myself, that the "case" for chi is badly damaged by the amount of stuff that's done in the name of chi that's complete hogwash. Even the Shaolin monks do lots of things - lying on nails with sledgehammer concrete breaks etc - that's obviously just about tough skin, surface areas and concrete being strong but ultimately fragile. Some of the granite block breaks they did when I saw them on tour in Australia were just simple mechanical things: leave a little gap so the larger block has space to get momentum, then it's already swinging into another granite block with a very thin line of concentrated contact.

Then there's the brain-washing bits: the hypnotists. Bull-shido did a nice expose on that... sure a googling will turn it up.

All this begs a question: what are some potentially meaningful examples of what can be done with chi? Is there anything that people have seen that really left them impressed and mystified? Anything on youtube or whatever that might be the real deal?

Cheers,
Tony

AyaShindou
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe stuff like levitation is just out there and silly. But it's true that the body has an aura that surrounds it. I know I am channeling into this energy (Qi) when I get right into my martial arts training. I just feel the energy flowing throughout my body. I believe that energies lead people into success and fortune as well. Why are some people so successful while others are cursed to be unsuccessful throughout their life? It's not that one is trying and the other isn't. If we could see what is actually leading us down the paths that we are destined to pursue, we would know exactly why human beings all stand at different levels of stature, success, consciousness, etc. Chrisma is a form of energy as well. What makes some people so compelling and entertaining to be around. It's the energy that they possess. I am just getting into energy medicine, and know very little about it, but this is my philosophy regarding the topic.

Alaric
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Tang Soo Do, Muay Thai, Western Boxing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this area interests me greatly, so maybe a bit of minor thread necromancy is in order.

The major difficulty I have with chi/qi is getting a solid definition of what it actually is. It's generally very diffuse, with as many interpretations as there are people. If you believe Wikipedia (and you shouldn't) the closest interpretation of qi is 'energy'. People above me have mentioned this plenty, in addition to 'aura' and 'life force'. It's apparently a form of energy that we all have, and can be channeled and tapped into to grant boons to the user. Some are pretty simple and plausible, like increased focus and concentration. Others not so much, like 'levitation', 'iron skin' and 'no-touch knockouts.'

I'm a reductionist. I like to figure things out by breaking them down into smaller pieces. Before I start, I'd like anyone who's intersted to point out anything wrong with what I've written so far, or maybe offer alternative interpretations.

tonydee
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 24 yrs kong soo do, 3 yrs hapkido, bits of others

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric wrote:
I'm a reductionist. I like to figure things out by breaking them down into smaller pieces. Before I start, I'd like anyone who's interested to point out anything wrong with what I've written so far, or maybe offer alternative interpretations.

So far, so good .

Cheers,
Tony

Soheir
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe in Ki, as this huge power thing that only some few people can do, if I exaggerate. But I do believe that there is a point on it...
“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

CTTKDKing
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Greco Wrestling, Muay Thai, Sho Bin Ju, Boxing

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a discussion a few year back with Tai Chi instructor Master Mai Lee (currently located in Manchester, CT) on what chi is. I wanted to know what it really is and if there is anything to it. Her family has been teaching their own variation of Tai Chi (separate from Yang style and the other "main" styles) with documentation back for several hundred years and she says farther back then that, and she explained it to me this way.

Chi is the Chinese word for life force, which in her area of China was what they literally referred to breath or breathing as (your breath is your life force). All of the Tai Chi forms and exercises are focused around increasing blood flow, flexibility, and breathing capacity. So in a sense a lot of the things described with the words life force, and energy, and whatnot that are taken into a "mystical" light are not mystical at all. When practicing these movements correctly it allows the blood to flow more freely through your joints, and muscles which can help in healing bruises faster, and even broken/fractured bones. My point is, that someone this deep into a style that focus' so heavily on chi thinks that there is almost nothing mystical about it. She refuses to teach chi strikes and hokey nonsense like that simply because it's all in the people's heads that are using it. Striking without striking and controlling your energy levels to cause levitation and all kinds of magical things is just Westerners watching too many movies. At least that's how she put it to me. Just wanted to put that out there. You do not have to agree, but I figured it'd be interesting to hear the views from a person that's got a very long lineage in the system.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that about sums it up, TKDKing. In the end, its simple things, done well, and it helps the body out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: