Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Johnlogic121
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Montgomery Style Karate, Ninjutsu, Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: The Truth about Chi Reply with quote

I often wonder about the truth behind stories regarding Chi. My own experience indicates that this force can be developed and it is genuinely real, but when I read articles that claim "levitation" I get really skeptical that all claims about this force are real. Chinese medicine is supposed to be based on theories of Chi circulation in the human body, and I have heard that Eastern medical methods are even better at curing chronic conditions than Western medicine. However, the medical models disagree so strongly that Eastern doctors don't even agree with Western doctors about the number of organ systems in the human body, or even about what constitutes an "organ." Aside from curing disease and promoting health, Chi is supposed to be able to protect your body from kinetic impact damage and also allow you to damage the energy field of your opponent. Most martial artists are familiar with the concept of Chi, or the related concept of Ki, which is the Japanese word for focusing the power of the mind to come into total harmony with the dynamic force of the universe, and thus compel more power into your attacking technique. Some claims about Chi are undoubtedly exaggerated, but Chinese experts insist that the force can be developed by the average practitioner in an average of forty-five years. My question for the forum is this: what percentage of the claims about Chi are true? Are 50%, or half, of the claims about Chi true? Does anyone believe that 100% of the claims about Chi are true, including the stories about levitation? Or is it all baloney? -JL

Kajukenbopr
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo - Emperado Method

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I began my training in Chi Kung I can control my muscles better making them more resistant to blows against the body.

I also have found I am more "grounded"- I can use my bodyweight better whenever I move, push, pull or strike.

Acupuncture and acupressure works to some extent- though how well they work in combination with moxibustion, I couldnt tell u exactly. I have used acupressure on myself and gotten good results out of it.

levitation- seriously doubt it, impacting the body's energy- probably nerve strikes, throwing energy outside the body? i also doubt it

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opion, but I'm typically a nay sayer on his kind of thing.

I think that a vast majority of feats attribuited ti Ki or Chi are actually the appropriate and forceful application of leverege, body weight and fight mechanics.

Pressure point stuff may have some application, but again I think that this is due more to the physiology of the human body rather than some sort of energy force created by all living things (sorry for the reference there ).

As such, I really don't beleive the wild claims I've heard from some people, ie. levetation.

NewEnglands_KyoSa
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do , Chinese Kempo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in the GENERAl concept of Chi/ki but i think i can confidently say more than 90% of the people on her do not believe fully and completely 100% in this stuff. But i do believe in it in a more general sense, levatation? no. killing people with your chi/ki powers? no. that's just about where i draw my line right about where logical claims end and the bizarre ones begin.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Chi/Ki is that there are a lot of claims about what it can do, but that is about all it is. I normally don't jump on the Chi bandwagon. I am more along the line of body mechanics and proper leverage usage.

Throwdown0850
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Judo, BJJ, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the closest thing I can relate to this is Kyusho points.. but that is more of a science.. otherwise, in my opinion, I would rather hit a heavy bag, spar and spar some more.. not into the "chi" thing much...

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's all real. I'm not interested in getting involved in it though. Some of it can be borderline occultish.

RobertTX
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shaolin Do Kung Fu & TaiChi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not reached the level of my training to really study Chi, but have been exposed to several katas that depend heavily on it. I definitely believe that there is energy (we refer to as Chi) in the body otherwise MRIs would not be possible. Therefore if there is energy, there needs to be a pathway for the energy to travel through out the body. If this is true then I can see where the forms the interrupt the chi flow can be effective.

I am sure there are holes in my logic and assumptions but I am sure I will learn more when the time comes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a skeptical person and was always skeptical about Chi; nonetheless still interested in learning about it.

So, one day towards the end of a yoga class, I was meditating and got that "feeling" that I heard about that you get when your Chi is present (or whatever the correct terminology is). At first I was actually freaked out about it. I opened my eyes and looked at the palms of my hands and then looked around the room. After class, I quietly asked my teacher about it without even mentioning the word "chi" and he confirmed my suspicions.

Second time I noticed it was while doing kata in class. I really would love to develop this into a lot more - I was really amazed by my experience.

I would say that (and using myself as an example) you'd have to have an *experience* with it yourself. Like I mentioned, I was skeptical until my experience. I heard about things others can do who have very powerful chi and again I would still have to see it with my own eyes to fully believe in it in spite of the little "buzz" I got. It's hard to put a percentage on it.

Last edited by Tiger1962 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

MooYeaDoKID
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: KungFu San Soo, Karate- Kajukenbou, and now MooYeaDo Karate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to beleev that we humans can gain some sort of, power, and that were not just stuck with our normal boring limiations, and can use chi to surpass and keep going passed our limits...however i havnt seen it accom[plished yet, i mean we dont even know yet if those masters of qigong are just doing that from years of practice or just phycing us out. but id like to beleev that A- it is real, and B- that we can use it to surpass our limits. right now idont know if it s real or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: