Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm offering a cardio kickboxing class. One of the women I have to help teach that is one of my students who looks like Britney Spears. I also have a few other women who are beautiful to join that class. So that should help.

We train VERY hard and I'm very demanding. I want quality students over quantity but I need enough at first anyways to pay my bills so the school will survive.

Pete

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you offer trial classes, make sure that your insurance covers it. Most do but some don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are too much!

One of the great things about the martial arts is that you get to expose yourself to a cross-section of people. You also have to expose your classes to them differently (sell to them differently). Decide first who you want to target.

Parent/Child families looking for a positive afterschool/summer activity that provides a goal oriented environment, self discipline and rewards good behavior.

Females 16 and over who want to feel safe in the mall parking lot and are very conscious of their appearance and want the additional benefits of weightloss and higher self esteem.

Males 24 and over who work too much, maybe slightly overweight. Want an escape from work and other daily pressures. Enjoys the exercise because he sits in front of a computer or in a car for most of the day.

Male & Females 18-40 who are known as "young lions" very in shape and active, health conscious, probably runners as well. Some are DNK's (double income, no kids), wanting to add martial arts to their repertoire of lifestyle activities.

OK so say these are your profiles now you need to find your distribution channels. This is part of the 4 P's of Marketing - Product, Price, Promotion and Placing (Distribution Channels)
Where do those corporate types go to lunch? Where do they work? What do they do? Where do these women live and work? Where do all these kids go to school? What other activities do those "lions" do? The answers to these questions form your distribution channel and are potential ways to reach potential students without contacting them directly. That should give you some direction, based on what your target demographic is.

Now for promotions. I've seen the technique of giving out free class cards to work very well! This sales tactic is called the "puppy dog" (named after the pet salesman who talks the parent into letting the kid have the puppy for free for a period of 2 weeks. If in 2 weeks they feel it is too much trouble or can't afford it then they can return it! I think it better to have it instead of a free class make it 2 freee weeks or a free month so they get a true idea what is done in class and get used to coming in on a regular basis.

If you have a handful of friends/students.... put on a demo .... pass out fliers promoting, this is a great way to expose your school. Keep demo short so people don't lose interest. Demos are great because they get people talking. The spectators talk amongst themselves and friends of people in the demo talk about the person performing and possible how good of an instructor you are!

How are your speaking skills. Do a demo at the schools. You may even be able to strengthen your case to giver the presentation if you emphasize that martial arts is a way to stop senseless school violence and bulliness and improves a students self esteem (a hot topic right about now!)
For the corporate types do a business card drawing at local restaurants (I've seen them at Burger Kings/McDonalds too) Make a snazzy sign ontop of fishbowl or other presentable box. Submit your business card to win 2 weeks free or longer of classes. The real benefit here is that when drawing is over you will have a stack of contacts and possible email address. Don't spam them but follow up nicely. Put a few of your own in the box to "seed" it. In appreciation for using the restaurant, offer to do something nice for them like making it a designated place to come once or twice after a testing or demo.

Bartering and networking is probably your biggest asset. Do you have a web site? Include the benfits of the ma, history of art, what class entails, corse times etc. If you haven't for whatever reason, you should do it! Include a link to email you directly. Post your site on search engines especiall dojo directories on the net.

Also remember volunteer work for charity in your community is good PR. PR is free advertising basically. Get some students to collect money for charity. This past Saturday our school raied $12,000.00 for the American Diabetes Assoc. for their "Kicks for Kids" fund raiser. People sponsered each one of us by pledging a certain dollar amount per kick or a set $ amount. Most of us did 400 kicks in 10 minutes. We will get a nice photo in newspaper promoting our school and our efforts!

Yikes ....I have gone on and on haven't I?
Just remember to set a goal for yourself and be creative! Good Luck

You may want to consider hooking up and joining with NAPMA http://www.napma.com/

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-12 14:10 ]

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayyummm Kickchick that is a lot of usefull info. Thanks a lot. As for the demo I will be doing an open house when I open or shortly after which I will pass out fliers and advertise in the local newspaper. During my demo I will offer people there if they sign up they will receive a free uniform, t-shirt and patch or a free 2 week program. During the demo I will speak of the benefits of M.A. and about our program. I truly believe with the quality of the students I already have I will attract many new students.

I'm creating fliers right now to distribute throughout the city. My brother is building a professional website that will have tons of info on and will have a link to my personal email.

Pete

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider doing some flyers and advertising beforehand, so that people know about the open house.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickchick, where else can I be but in front of the computer when you write novels like that?

Still, as always, you're right on the money.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of good advice and good planning is going on.

We have always had the highest number of new students right after school starts; and the lowest enrollment in the summer.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the summer time is the slowest of the year. The reason I want to open in August is to have everything settled before Sept. Sept. is the big enrollment month so I want to be moved in with everything to be setup.

Pete

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: