Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
IcemanSK wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8f6VetiGfg

This young man (James Chua) is a Southern California phenom. He's 8 years old & performs Tae Guek 1-8 & all yudanja poomsae.

Performs?? More like mimics them; many errors...balance, to name just one.

Bushido_man96 wrote:

Wow, at 8 years old. The WTF must not worry about students doing forms ahead of their rank?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

Who in their right mind taught a student forms that are above that students current rank?!?! Unless he taught himself the forms out of a book/DVD/internet. Still, his CI needs to curb him away from the forms that are above his current rank.

He does struggle with the BB poomsae, yes. He doesn't perform them in competition, however. He is simply not allowed to do so. As has been mentioned on other pages of this thread, in WTF elite poomsae competition, poomsae is done by age and rank. For example, at age 10 a 1st poom would do the 2nd Dan poomsae, at most. A 55 year old BBwould need to prepare up through Ilyeo (9th Dan poomsae) regardless of their Dan rank.

Since the early 2000s, the WTF decided to change the way poomsae competition is done in order to showcase the value of poomsae. Previously, poomsae took a back seat to the all important kyoroogi. It is a pendulum swing from the 80s when the 1st Dan poomsae was the only BB poomsae performed, because it was the only poomsae any BBs of any Dan rank knew. I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't mind that they do it that way. If someone has the skill to perform it, then let them do it. They can improve all other aspects from there. On the flip side of that, if someone really wants to crack down on one form, and make it "their" form, then I'm all for that, too.

tubby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcemanSK wrote:

Since the early 2000s, the WTF decided to change the way poomsae competition is done in order to showcase the value of poomsae. Previously, poomsae took a back seat to the all important kyoroogi. It is a pendulum swing from the 80s when the 1st Dan poomsae was the only BB poomsae performed, because it was the only poomsae any BBs of any Dan rank knew. I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

an interesting blog post in the link below - would you re-sequence the BB poomsae if you could? Chongkwon and illyeo seem physically demanding for the ages you would have to be by the traditional schedule of learning.

http://jungdokwan-taekwondo.blogspot.com.au/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be a consideration, for sure. If not for the organization as a whole, but an option for the older practitioners to look into.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Page 24 of 24
Jump to: