Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I though most people bowed their heads when they prayed.

A true buddhist would not shove it down your "pie hole".

If you don't like the traditions...go to another club, fight freestyle.

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catholics do their own thing... I guess u could count the saints as idols. The Cross is a symbol, not an icon that is bowed to.

Bowing your heads in respect is different to bowing to another man or an object. There are two types of bows. One is the common japanese type greeting bow. The other common is the full bow somewhat simular to the bows which many islamic people perform. A full bow to the floor with your face touching it.

[ This Message was edited by: TKD_McGee on 2002-03-04 18:40 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKD_McGee

I'm not sure what branch of the Christian faith you're referring to, but none that I've ever been associated with have ever considered it sacreligous to BOW (in order to just show respect) to inatimate objects. It is, however, to PRAY to a false god and create objects to represent them. If you know of one, let me know so I can stay clear of it.

As far as this issue, I read a lot on another board regarding that STUPID suit. I thought I saw were the Judo association won in the end. :???:

[ This Message was edited by: KSN Doug on 2002-03-05 07:53 ]

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What branch am I from? Unless your reading from the book of mormon, you should read your Bible.

It clearly states that you should bow to no man. Which is reference to Kings, high officials, leaders, and that also goes for objects like a big brass buddah.

[ This Message was edited by: TKD_McGee on 2002-03-05 11:08 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A true buddhist would not shove it down your "pie hole".

Why is there full bows then? Why is there reference to Buddish ways of life? Why is there a meditation session in many places?

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddhism is not shoved down the hole. We are giving reference to where it came from, but you don't have to believe it. As for bowing, you may not believe in bowing and all that, but someone else may, and to be a little respectful, you should maybe bow to them. People who come to the United States may shake your hand, but people in Japan bow as well. It is pure respect.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're taking that literally, are you?

So under that argument, every man, woman, and child throughout the ages that has bowed, curtseyed, tipped their hat, or anything like that has been committing blasphemy?!! No offense intended, but Bull****.

[ This Message was edited by: KSN Doug on 2002-03-05 13:37 ]

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I supose that Homosexuality is taken literally too?!? HEY U NEED TO BE TOLERANT OF GAYS. Buddy, read your Bible before you diss it. After you have read your Bible, maybe you should look at a new church to go to since the one you belong to is "Bull ****"

[ This Message was edited by: TKD_McGee on 2002-03-05 15:01 ]

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-05 12:43, Karateka wrote:
Buddhism is not shoved down the hole. We are giving reference to where it came from, but you don't have to believe it. As for bowing, you may not believe in bowing and all that, but someone else may, and to be a little respectful, you should maybe bow to them. People who come to the United States may shake your hand, but people in Japan bow as well. It is pure respect.

You clearly didn't read what I said. There are two types of bows, a courtesy bow like the one that is equal to an american handshake. And there is a 2nd bow that is a full floor bow(Belt Ceremonies, Aikido bows) , which I am refering to in my defense.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to break it to you, but Buddhists believe that you must train the mind for the perception of self nature, that is, to wipe out the impurities of that soil the mind so that the fundamental face of self nature can be really percieved.

Secondly Buddha is not a god, he was a human being.

Third of all a buddhists respects other religious beliefs.

Finally Shinto religion believes that the gods have created Japan as their image of paradise on earth, it was present in Japan before the introduction of Buddhism, and I think what you are getting at here is the Shinto practices.

I'm sure that 99% of people follow tradition out of respect for their instructors and their masters, not for religious reasons.

Deep thought and meditation is to reflect upon oneself, not pray to a god. I'm sure in life you have had to take a good hard look a decisions you had to make in your life. Is that sacreligious?

Meditation can be used to focus...it means nothing in a religious sence unless you make it that way.

You should be more tolerant of others, and learn more about other thing before criticizing.

Amituofo.

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to: