Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: tonfa or sai Reply with quote

Hey troops.........bak again.

Right, another weapon question, except this time dealing withe defence.

If you were attacked by a staff (as this happens to us many times nowadays, especially when we are travelling in our sandels to the well to collect our drinking water ), would you rather have in your hands a pair of sai/zai or tonfa/tunkua (etc.)

Let explore what the pros and cons of each weapon are..........

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have personally weilded neither. However, if I had to choose, I would take the tonfa, since I am practiced in short sticks.

I like the choice of the double short weapon to counter the long single one, though.

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... thats a toughy. They both have helpful abilities. The tonfa could protect your arm and whatever other body part, but thats only from attacks that are swung. The tonfa could also be used to fight back since it has a longer range. But then of course, the sai could disarm them if you catch the bo in it, and then you could fight them away. My personal choice would be the tonfas, because I just like that weapon better.

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's tough. I've worked with zai but haven't used a tonfa before. So as things are now I'd have to pick the zai. But if I were equally proficient with both I have a feeling I might choose the tonfa... I think against a staff I would appreciate the thickness of the tonfa and the added protection my fingers would have when blocking. Plus I think I'd appreciate the little extra leverage the side handles (whatever they're called) might give me. But I could be wrong... I'll get back to you when I pick one of them up .

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never used either weapon so im goin for tonfa as it would be easyer for me.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, ATM, I would choose the tonfa. I think that is because the basics of the weapon is very similar to the basics in Karate - so really i have been 'training' with the tonfa for x amount of years, without actually picking them up.

Obviously, the two weapons were strong in different ways - I would not like to face a katana with a tonfa in my hand - wood cuts slightly more easily than metal. Yet saying that, with the zai you have to be pretty accurate to block.

Oh, and no matter what protection, it still hurts when u block :'(

Oh and KSN Doug - congrates on the mod status. Well deserved.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir, I appreciate that.

I know you can get some extra cover distance from the sai if you "X" block with them. Then you don't have to be AS accurate. But since your question pitted each against the bo, I'm still sticking with the tonfa.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]But since your question pitted each against the bo, I'm still sticking with the tonfa[\quote]

Touche

Quote:
I know you can get some extra cover distance from the sai if you "X" block with them

Ah the "X" block. Very powerful if you can do it properly, but in my opinion, if a staff is coming toward my head at an alarming speed I'd rather get the hell out of the way and hook it LOL

(DISCLAIMER: This does not imply that you cannot do it, just implies that I can't

Cheers all

Tobias

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonfa or sai against bo? That is a good one. It would be close but for someone with experience and training with sai they would have a slight edge.

FunkyBasser
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, TKD, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm new here and I know this post is a lil old but hey it's got something I know, Tonfa's. Now luckily my bestfriend uses Sai's so I got an equal vantage point here. Now in the right hands it is highly unlikely for anything less then a sword to get past the tonfa's block, it's range can vary depending on your preffered size, I myself use a 24", therefore you can attack pretty easily, also it's a little easier to use a one arm block one arm attack method with the tonfa against a bo then the sai. I'm sure you all know this, oh one more point, the tonfa would give even a novice a semi-fair chance against a bo. Now the sai on the other hand if used with speed and accuracy can disarm the bo and dispatch the opponent rather quickly, down side is predict the wrong move such as going for a high X-block and catch a wooden shaft the groin, or legs, go for a low X - Block and it's goodnight everybody lights out! So I'd say for novice's and above tonfa, for advanced martial artist and above sai. The choice is really yours, it also depends on your personal abilities, I tend to go with tonfa because I have more strenght then lightning fast speed, my friend is insanely fast with less strenght, sai works great for him. So there you have it, my insight on it all, oh yea btw I pick tonfa.
I'm me...and me is me.....me is not you and you is not me....you could be me if you was me but you is not me so me must be me..while me is me and I is me you is you and not I nor me...but if you was I or me then you would not be you..but instead you would actually be me....which is I..
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: