Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
I believe it is ok to allow other MA to utilise your club space when it won't interfere with your normal timetable.

Besides it will only add potential new members to cross train.

I agree here. Have you cut some of your Shorin Ryu classes to make time for the other styles?

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing wrong with having supplements as long as it does not take away from your main purpose and main art. If this is extra to your art and does not take away time allotted from your main art, then I see no issue.

wildbourgman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reply may not have anything to do with your post but the term "watering down" hits home with me.

I originally coming from a Japanese style that was "watered down" from Okinawan traditional martial arts. I had commented during a discussion with elder instructors from the Japanese art that were complaining about BJJ and other MMA schools taking students from them. I said maybe they could look at some of the Okinawan arts for grappling techniques to supplement what they teach. Then one of the complainers said "what should we do, water down our system?"

I was respectful and said nothing, because all I instantly knew to say was that he was the one complaining and looking for answers and if he knew the history of his art, he would also know when and how it was watered down which is causing his problems today. So rather than not having a better reply I allowed others to answer him in a more proper way than I was prepared for.

As to your question, Shorin Ryu being your foundation has many aspects to pick from that should keep you busy, but you can successfully supplement it with other systems as needed. That supplementation won't adversely affect the structure that you are building on if your foundation is solid!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: