Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Tragedy Envelopes The SKKA!! Reply with quote

Tragedy, at this moment, is the only word I can use to adequately convey as to what's occurred on the early morning of July 11, 2016.

While returning from Mexico, and after spending the entire day, of July 10, 2016, celebrating the highly successful conclusion of the SKKA's Annual Testing Cycle, that saw, for only the 3rd time in its history, its largest approved candidate pool of 1003, tragedy struck, and struck with an evil chorus.

The entire SKKA's Higher Hierarchy, minus myself, were killed in a head-on vehicle accident with a drunk driver, who was travelling at a very high rate of speed!! Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends during this mournful time!!

I've not much of the details, but what I do have, and what I'm willing to share, is few. Most of what I do know, would fill in a thimble, at best. Most of the information is being withheld because, I'm either not a member of any of the immediate families concerned, and/or I choose to not know the exacting details as to the who, what, when, where, why, and how's surrounding this tragedy. Knowing the exacting details will not bring them back, and much of it is a private matter that belongs to those families, and them alone. Because I've a very low constitution of these type of details, I choose not to know the exacting details that surround accidents of this magnitude, and again, what purpose would it serve to anyone for me to explain those type of unnerving as well as unsettling details!?!?

Lost in this tragedy are:

Kancho:
1) Greg Forsythe

Regents:
2) Thomas Stillwater
3) Jonathan Plouge
4) Ben Stevenson
5) Giichi Tanaka
6) Yoshikazu Tanaka

For a quick bio, please check the below links, while brief, they should provide enough history of each lost...

http://www.karateforums.com/a-pocket-full-of-marbles-vt42305.html?highlight=regents

http://www.karateforums.com/no-more-counsel-of-regents-vt42754.html?highlight=regents

Words can't convey what I've been feeling ever since this occurred. I was sadden when our Soke passed away in 2008 from natural causes; he was 91 years old. I was even more sadden when our Dai-Soke passed away in 2010 after his second stroke within a very short time; he was 78 years old. These two deaths, while painful and sad, they weren't senseless and uncalled for, as what's happened with what took place on July 11, 2016.

Killed also in this accident, was the drunk driver!! Not that this lessens the blow, if at all!!

The families will find their closures, if possible, in time, if at all. As for my closure, and not that mine matters at all compared to what the families are experiencing, time heals all wounds, as it's said, but I'll allow time to see what wound is or isn't healed.

My head's in a fog these days, and oftentimes, I feel like I'm sitting on top of a bomb, waiting for it to explode right beneath me!! Not a good feeling, one, I'm hoping to shake quite soon.

I've asked God why! But, for now, He's not revealed this to me!!

I've guilty feelings about this tragedy because had I decided to travel with them to Mexico, I too, might've been killed as well. But I choose to go home to my wife in Houston, TX because I'd been away for 3 weeks, and I was missing her.

The future of the SKKA is unknown, but to be honest, and for the moment, it's the most insignificant concern, and will be addressed when it's more appropriate to do so. However, all classes at the Hombu, as well as all Executive and Administrative business is suspended until further notice. All In-House students of the Hombu, have been shifted to nearby dojo's within the SKKA Network for an undetermined time. All Testing Cycles are suspended within the Network for an undetermined time, as well. The Hombu's daily operations will continue, for the moment, but will be closed for an undetermined time as well, once a moment in time permits it to do so, and for now, I'll conduct the daily operations, but from my home. I'll return to the Hombu, whenever it makes sense, and right now, it makes no sense according to our Legal Team.

Right now, my mind's on the friends that I've lost...and I pray for the fog to lift from my head, the sooner the better!!

God bless Greg, Thomas, Jonathan, Ben, Giichi, Yoshikazu, as well as their families during this sad moment!! All of the SKKA lifts our prayers to those lost and to their families!!

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry, thoughts and prayers to you and everyone.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most sincere condolences, Bob. This is truly the definition of tragedy. I'm quite sure some, if not all of them were close personal friends of yours. My thoughts and prayers are with you and their families, both biological and Shindokan.

There's a very simple answer for your question of why not you; it's not your time. You're still here for a reason, whatever that reason may be. I fortunately have never had to ask that question, but I've been around many who have. It's very easy to answer when it's someone else asking it.

A former boss told me "every day is a gift." It's times like these that remind me how correct that statement truly is.

I wish I had more to say. All I can do is pray the people close to them find the strength to get through this difficult time in as emotionally and physically healthy way as possible.

Karate_John
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most sincere condolence as well. Stay strong, We know words can't express what you, and the family's of those lost must feel. All I can do is pray for those lost and to their families.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, The Pred, JR 137, and Karate_John for your thoughts and prayers!!

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear of such a huge loss to families and to the SKKA. Difficult to know what to say, we have a saying here, "Kia Kaha" also "Arohanui" are appropriate at this time.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My prayers and thoughts are to you and to the families that have lost their loved ones.

We as a forum stand with you Bob and the families of the SKKA. Even though not related by blood, we are forever in each others hearts.

Are you contemplating a Service for the families at the Hombu Dojo?

Oshishinobu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ISKF Shotokan Karate, Italian Longsword, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that breaks my heart my thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry for your loss Bob. Thoughts go to their families and the whole of the student body.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Bulltahr, Liam, Oshishinobu, and Danielle for your thoughts and prayers.

Liam, to answer your question...

Yes, a Memorial Service was held at the Hombu on July 16, 2016.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: