Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Training With Afib!! Reply with quote

Do you know of anyone who has been diagnosed with Afib [Atrial Fibrillation] that still trains or no longer trains in the MA?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone??

Reason I asked was that on October 4th I was diagnosed by my doctor that I've Afib, and was referred to a Cardiologist!! Stress is an enemy of Afib, and in that, I might have to step down for good as Kaicho, and might step off the floor as well. Will find out when I see the Cardiologist on October 17th, day before my birthday!!

I'd love to live to 80, and not pass away at 59 or 60 or anything before 80...if I have anything to say about it!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anyone personally with it, sorry. But if I did, I'd tell you what I'm going to anyway; listen to your cardiologist. Perhaps get 2 opinions. Possibly seek out a cardiologist who deals with athletes. It may very well be a career changing decision that you have to make. Make sure your decision is a well informed one.

I'd imagine every case is unique and it's not a one approach fits all thing. Don't jump to conclusions just yet (so much easier said than done!), but at this point be conservative. Right now the conservative mistake is far better than an aggressive mistake.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully it'll turn out fine.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you have more stress if you had to step off the floor? You have been in MA so long it would be a shame to lose your contributions as a Sensei.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
I don't know anyone personally with it, sorry. But if I did, I'd tell you what I'm going to anyway; listen to your cardiologist. Perhaps get 2 opinions. Possibly seek out a cardiologist who deals with athletes. It may very well be a career changing decision that you have to make. Make sure your decision is a well informed one.

I'd imagine every case is unique and it's not a one approach fits all thing. Don't jump to conclusions just yet (so much easier said than done!), but at this point be conservative. Right now the conservative mistake is far better than an aggressive mistake.

You know what, JR...you make a lot of since...seeking out a cardiologist that works with athletes is something I hadn't thought of!! I'm still reading about my Afib as well as the many procedures against my Cardiologist advice because he doesn't want me to assume anything because I'm not a Cardiologist...I love to read, and this is how I educate myself. However, what do I know...I'm not a Cardiologist whatsoever!!

Thanks, JR!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
Would you have more stress if you had to step off the floor? You have been in MA so long it would be a shame to lose your contributions as a Sensei.

Stress? No...maybe...I don't know!! Last time when I was at the Hombu, just this January, I had a few episodes where I felt quite fatigued and short winded at times while I was teaching, and in that, I averaged about 4 classes per day. That, not teaching with that same vigor, that, stresses me out the most.

I know I'm not that whippersnapper that I use to be, but man oh man, me just doing everything minus the physicality, drives me crazy...adds to my stress level.

As my wife reminds me, if I push yourself to much, I could do more harm than good, and that could end any future contributions on the floor!! What's one to do?!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

You know what, JR...you make a lot of since...seeking out a cardiologist that works with athletes is something I hadn't thought of!! I'm still reading about my Afib as well as the many procedures against my Cardiologist advice because he doesn't want me to assume anything because I'm not a Cardiologist...I love to read, and this is how I educate myself. However, what do I know...I'm not a Cardiologist whatsoever!!

Thanks, JR!!

I don't know why I didn't think of this before...

Look up the local colleges' athletic training rooms phone numbers. Call them and ask them who they work with, and for contact info. The bigger the athletic program, the better. If you're still in Houston, look up the University of Houston's sports med/athletic training room. Ask a few places, because some docs don't take certain insurance, may be booked for too long, etc.

Most of the team cardiologists are local guys who have their own practices. They should know quite a bit about active people, otherwise they wouldn't be working with college athletes.

If you were near a college I was affiliated with (personally or professionally), I'd call for you. Unfortunately, I don't have any contacts anywhere near Houston nor California (where you listed).

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poking around a few websites (U of Houston, Baylor, Texas Southern), most don't list team cardiologists. Only one I found who does is Rice...

http://www.riceowls.com/sports/sports-med/Teamdrs.html

A phone call to a training room should help. If I had someone call me when I was an athletic trainer, I'd have no problem giving them contact info. Every sports med program should have a cardiologist they refer their athletes to. We always had specific cardiologists, because we knew they took good care of our athletes.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, JR; nothing ventured, nothing gained. Seek out those who are the experts in their respective fields, and listen, not talk, but listen!! Those college's are in my area, and I'll definitely look into all of your suggestions. Again, thanks, JR!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: