Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Prototype wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
I think you can Box for as long as you want to. The most important thing is to monitor the sparring so that you aren't taking too much to the head. I'm not sure how much the average gym will spar, but I'm guessing the bulk of your training time will be spent drilling and working the bags, with some focused sparring thrown in. I think it would be a ton of fun, and you should enjoy it.

Yeah but the heart and soul of boxing is sparring. If you don't spar, you don't know boxing.

I didn't say that you wouldn't spar. Just that it might not be the main focus. But, I've never had the opportunity to train in a Boxing gym, either, so all my speculation is based off things I've read or heard.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Prototype wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
I think you can Box for as long as you want to. The most important thing is to monitor the sparring so that you aren't taking too much to the head. I'm not sure how much the average gym will spar, but I'm guessing the bulk of your training time will be spent drilling and working the bags, with some focused sparring thrown in. I think it would be a ton of fun, and you should enjoy it.

Yeah but the heart and soul of boxing is sparring. If you don't spar, you don't know boxing.

I didn't say that you wouldn't spar. Just that it might not be the main focus. But, I've never had the opportunity to train in a Boxing gym, either, so all my speculation is based off things I've read or heard.

Sure- if its any consolation I've never "officially" done boxing either- just thai boxing and MMA.

Its also a fair statement to also say that its not about whether you "know" or "dont know" boxing, but how well you know it- its a matter of degree rather a yes or no question.

People are just creatures of habit, and one of the most difficult things to learn when boxing is how to keep your composure, balance, and guard while someone is punching you. Just like a tournament will, active sparring can help weed out the weak point in your game and will give you something to work on.

One doesnt need to be a pro fighter or train like one in order to become proficient- if you boxed twice a week and sparred once a week (say 4-5 rounds) or even every other week, you'd gradually build up a good repoire over time (say 2-3 years). Also, while you will be getting punched in the head there are degrees of sparring as well- theres the type where you're getting ready for a fight and theres the type where you're moving around just as well, but using less intensity.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Prototype wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Sure- if its any consolation I've never "officially" done boxing either- just thai boxing and MMA.

Its also a fair statement to also say that its not about whether you "know" or "dont know" boxing, but how well you know it- its a matter of degree rather a yes or no question.

People are just creatures of habit, and one of the most difficult things to learn when boxing is how to keep your composure, balance, and guard while someone is punching you. Just like a tournament will, active sparring can help weed out the weak point in your game and will give you something to work on.

One doesnt need to be a pro fighter or train like one in order to become proficient- if you boxed twice a week and sparred once a week (say 4-5 rounds) or even every other week, you'd gradually build up a good repoire over time (say 2-3 years). Also, while you will be getting punched in the head there are degrees of sparring as well- theres the type where you're getting ready for a fight and theres the type where you're moving around just as well, but using less intensity.
Conditioning combined with inspiration and motivation at an early age, to become a boxer is a great advantage over the competition.

I agree with the (2 or 3 years) as this video illustrates.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z477UBwhVuM

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved to another city so the Boxing venture was put on hold. But guys, I've been informed to steer clear from those gyms that are not pure Boxing clubs, no matter if they offer Boxing. But does that matter if the instructor is a merited boxer?

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
I've moved to another city so the Boxing venture was put on hold. But guys, I've been informed to steer clear from those gyms that are not pure Boxing clubs, no matter if they offer Boxing. But does that matter if the instructor is a merited boxer?

Just like in any other martial art, the most important thing is the teacher and who'll you'll be training alongside. If it's the right teacher and training partners, it doesn't matter where it is. It could even be in a nursery school, so long as they've got the space and equipment IMO.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about making a new post, but it seems fitting to post here. I'll be starting boxing "lessons" in about a week or so. A friend of mine fights semi-professionally (and his dad did as well.) He just rented some space to hang some bags, and I asked how much it'd be for some bag time. He told me free, but I'll insist on flipping him at least a few bucks. I also asked for some pointers, and he was more than thrilled to help me out! Besides, I think he'd like something to beat on for a while, anyway.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:

Yeah, the prospect of moving came up for me a few months ago, as well. Leaving my TKD school was the thing I feared most! I really like the school and would rather not start all over just yet.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I will take a free trial in boxng for beginners tommorow.

Anything to think about in advance for a free trial as it relates to logistics?

I have small Kickboxing gloves, should I bring them with me? Do I need gymnastics shoes?

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
Guys, I will take a free trial in boxng for beginners tommorow.

Anything to think about in advance for a free trial as it relates to logistics?

I have small Kickboxing gloves, should I bring them with me? Do I need gymnastics shoes?
Bring a mouth guard and some mouth wash antiseptic.

Good luck and don't get sucker punched on your first day.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first day is over!

The bodymechanics is very different from the Kickboxing that I learned. In boxing you're told that keep your knees bent before during and after the punch, and the stance is more narrow.

I'm trying to come to grips with this... But I absolutely loved it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: