Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Trying to train through Lyme Disease Reply with quote

I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease about a month ago. No idea when nor how I contracted it. I didn't have the bullseye from the tick bite, nor do I remember ever seeing a tick.

Physically, I feel tired and run down. Mentally/emotionally, I'm not a fun person to be around at all. I finished my 3 week course of antibiotics about a week ago, and I honestly don't feel anywhere near 100%. I feel significantly better than when my symptoms started, but that's not saying much.

I've been trying to train. My CI and his next in line guy know (along with most others). Tuesday night is one of my usual nights - 45 minute kata class followed by another 45 minutes to an hour of kumite focused class. Saturday is a general class that gets a great workout too.

I barely get through kata class. I get through about half hour of general class. I just can't physically get through it. Fatigue sets in. Last Saturday every muscle felt ridiculously tight, then my joints started hurting on top of the fatigue.

I know I should take a break. But I can't. I'm tired of being tired. I'm tired of being miserable. The dojo is like therapy for me - when I'm training, the outside world doesn't exist. It's moving meditation. Now that moving meditation is gone. While I'm training, all I can think about is how tired I am and how much my body aches. All I can think about is dragging myself through it and telling myself to stop being soft. I listen to my body, but I hate what it's telling me.

I feel like I'm torturing myself by training, yet it's less torture than sitting around and making everyone else miserable with me.

In all my years of playing sports and MA training, I've never willingly pulled myself out. I've sat out with a few injuries, but nothing like this. I get through a half hour and have to bow out. I sit down against the wall and watch the rest of class. I feel like I'm being punished.

I know, so many people have it so much worse than me. I should be glad I can still train and be happy that I'll most likely make a full recovery soon enough. Honestly, thinking about how so many people have it so much worse than I do doesn't do me any favors; it makes me push harder.

The whole situation makes me miserable. The not training aspect is only a small part of it. I don't have the energy to keep up with my daughters who are 3 and 6. I feel like a broken down old man and it breaks my heart to tell them I need a break. I get miserable and take it out on them, which makes me more miserable. Being a school teacher, I'm constantly on my feet walking around the classroom. And I teach pre-k and kindergarten phys ed. By the end of the day I'm exhausted and miserable.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR,

Sorry to hear that, and please, never apologize for getting things off your chest whenever health is an issue; we, here at KF, are a family!!

What has your doctor told you, if I may ask, beyond what you've posted, that you'd be willing to share with us?? What's your doctors prognosis?? Are you taking any antibiotics?? Was the diagnosis caught early??

Hang in there, JR!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is extremely unlucky JR. What is the Medical Prospects like for you over in New Zealand for management or treatment?

It sounds incredibly difficult for you to manage and cope physically and emotionally. We are here to support you every step of the way, and we want you to know that you are family and family means everything to us here at karateforums.com

If you feel worse then please speak to someone! we love you to pieces JR!!

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that JR 137 and I completely understand what do you feel.

If you finish the antibiotic course already then all the tiredness is what they call " post-treatment lyme disease syndrome " it happens after finishing the antibiotic course in 10-20% of people, it will take its course and you will be back to normal again soon.

Don't push your body hard and give it some rest now to recover quicker !

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support everyone. It means a lot to me.

My physician and I are confident the we caught it early. Lyme Disease isn't very well understood. It effects people differently. I think most people who have serious long term problems with it are people who weren't diagnosed early enough, but that's just me. A lot of people are misdiagnosed for quite some time. I think that's because there's no truly reliable test.

So here's how I got to where I am...

Veterans Day weekend (Friday Nov 11) was a tough weekend. We had a difficult time with the kids and our family. Nothing major at all, but it just seemed like non-stop aggravation. I didn't get much sleep either. Monday night after work I was exhausted. I figured the long weekend, lack of sleep, and working 11 hours that day (I do an after school program) caught up with me. I got about 10 hours of sleep that night. Tuesday wasn't much better, although I got plenty of sleep and had a short day at work. I got about 11 hours of sleep that night. On Wednesday I was still dragging. On my way home from work my whole body started aching and I had a low grade fever. I figured I was coming down with a cold, but I didn't have any other symptoms. I felt sick without really being sick. No sinus, chest, throat, etc. stuff. Thursday morning I felt even worse. I had pneumonia whenI was in college, and I felt the exact same way, minus the chest stuff - completely run down, tired, body aches, etc.I left work early and went to see a doctor. I thought it had to be mono. Lyme wasn't on my radar. They did blood work, and on Monday I was given the Lyme diagnosis. Started 3 weeks of antibiotics that day.

I feel a lot better today than I did when I started taking antibiotics. But I'm not close to 100% by any means. Some people feel like they're cured after about a week, some feel it for months, and some are anywhere between. There's times during the day where I feel completely fine. Then I'm reminded later.

It's a combination of fatigue and just feeling uncomfortable that's getting to me. I don't know how else to describe that feeling of sitting and just not feeling right.

I taught pre-k phys ed for 40 minutes this morning. I wasn't too active during it, but I ran around a little. I did 5 push-ups with them, and taught them squat thrusts (aka burpees). I was completely wiped out. It was as fun watching 3 year olds trying to do squat thrusts though

Walking back to my classroom, 3 different teachers asked me if I was ok. You can just see it in my face and body language - I'm extremely uncomfortable. I can't pinpoint what it is - no headache, dizziness, etc., just uncomfortable. And that makes me miserable. I was the same way after training for about 20 minutes on Saturday. One of the parents there asked me if I was ok to drive while I was putting my shoes on. My response - "I'm fine, I'm just very uncomfortable." No other way to put it.

I'm getting better, but it's really at a snail's pace. I follow up with my doctor after the holidays. When I first started the antibiotics, he said he wants to wait 3-4 weeks after I'm done to retest my blood. Reason being that the antibiotics usually suppress the blood markers enough to make the test worthless for a weeks. If it's still there, it'll be visible after about 4 weeks.

Throughout all of this, the only thing that keeps me going physically is caffeine. I've been trying to space out 3-4 cans of soda a day. Once the caffeine wears off is when I really start to drag. Had it not been for caffeine, I'd have no idea how I'd make it through a work day. I'd drink coffee instead, but I can't stand the taste and it's not easily accessible at work.

I know I'll get through it, but it's just taking way too long. I know it could be a lot worse, but that's hard to focus on at times.

Gotta go teach kindergarten phys ed now. Wish me luck!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam - I'm in New York. I know it sounds like I'm battling depression too, but not really. Yeah, I'm feeling down, but I'm fine. It's physical at this point, not too psychological. If it gets worse, I'll speak to someone. I'm not a danger to myself nor others. I appreciate your looking out for me.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get there JR, just make sure you don't overload your body with sugar from the 3-4 cans of Soda ! You can check with your doctor if there is any supplement suitable for you to increase your energy levels like Vit B12 for example, this might help but for sure you have to check with your doctor first!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that JR. I hope you have a speedy recovery and are back to training soon.

tubby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this during medical treatment this year and didn't want to sit out. I was under par and could only really manage about 45 minutes before a heavy fog came down. However, exercise was important to outcomes, mentally and physically.

I worked around it in a few ways - I took on more an assistant instructor role. I did my own warmup and just stretched when others were doing more cardio stuff. I also found when training a home I got 45 minutes out of myself pretty much whatever I was doing so I went for skipping rope and bag work in intervals.

It's also important to know limitations. I went in a tournament, and if you watched me warm up you'd think I was fine, but mentally I was slow. I can recall clearly thinking there's a kick coming at my head, I should move. I really should move. Yep, I should have moved. listen to your doctor and your body.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR and tubby, you'll both be in my thoughts and prayers!! Hang in there, the both of you!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: