Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: UFC Announces Sponsorship with Reebok Reply with quote

The UFC has announced a sponsorship with Reebok, which includes laying out an outfitting policy for its athletes: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/448913/UFC-announces-sponsorship-with-Reebook-outfitting-policy-for-athletes

It appears, as part of this deal, that athletes will no longer be able to represent their own sponsors in fights.

Any thoughts on this? I can see some pros and cons, but I think it really short-changes the sponsors the fighters have at this point, and I also think it might affect the individual marketability of some of the fighters, as well.

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big business helping out other big business. the small guys are getting the shaft and I already read a lot of fighters are NOT happy with this new rule and some plan to walk out in official uniforms and strip to a different uniform or wear a bland outfit with NO sponsors on it. UFC has no employee fighters they are all independent contractors so I don't see how they can stop them from wearing what they want really.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kensei wrote:
Big business helping out other big business. the small guys are getting the shaft and I already read a lot of fighters are NOT happy with this new rule and some plan to walk out in official uniforms and strip to a different uniform or wear a bland outfit with NO sponsors on it. UFC has no employee fighters they are all independent contractors so I don't see how they can stop them from wearing what they want really.
That's interesting. I think Reebok will probably be paying some of the purse, so if the fighters do choose to do that, they might get docked some of the purse. But that's just me speculating. I'm not sure if their contracts have something in there on this kind of situation or not. I'm sure some attorneys are really busy about it right now, though.

It sounded to me like Reebok will be providing what they wear in the ring, as well. If that's the case, they'd have to wear another pair under the tights they have on, or just change out there. But I doubt that happens.

At any rate, I'm sure this stirs things up between Dana White and the fighters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: