Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: UNTIL! Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

Martial artists aren't alone in the search of perfection. Seeking perfection has become an obsession of a type. For a martial artist, that type is the perfection of their techniques. Seconds upon seconds, minutes upon minutes, hours upon hours, days upon days, months upon months and years upon years are spent in finding just that one "perfect" technique. Yet, at the very moment that one "perfect" technique has finally been discovered, it has passed even faster. Therefore, the quest for that perfection begins once again.

Perfection is an illusion because man is flawed; hence, man is imperfect, and in that, what is often sought after isn't possible. That doesn't mean that we have to stop trying and trying and trying because that is what's primordial about the martial arts. I try, not because I have to, but it's because I want to, therefore, I must try over and over at all times. I will never know what's just over the horizon unless I continue in my martial arts journey... until.

Until?! Then what?

I don't remember who it was that said, and please forgive my paraphrasing and/or incorrect citation, the following:

"Out of 10,000 kata/techniques, you might have 1 perfect kata/technique."

Whoever it was who spoke those profound words, spoke to the practice of kata, but nonetheless, techniques comprise an entire kata; like notes comprise an entire sonata. Therefore, for the sake of this article, I've substituted the word "kata" with the word "technique(s)," if only to illustrate my meaning. To me, the key word in this entire quote above is the underlined word "might." That directly speaks to an unsure possibility of an unswerving determination during ones martial arts journey. Accept it, and embrace it, because the realization of never ever reaching ones goal of that 1 perfect technique surely doesn't mean one should quit practicing.

Why should one practice, especially if one will never reach perfection in ones techniques? It's simple: the summation of why is the summation of because. To me, that's enough to still seek until I reach perfection. If I've not found perfection in my technique, haven't I in fact, failed? No way!

"I have not failed 700 times, I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

- Thomas Edison [1]

Just because a martial artist might've repeatedly stumbled while on their journey, that doesn't mean that they've failed in their pursuit for that one consummate technique. No way! In our hopes for that one unblemished technique, we uncover the truth: not all martial artists are indistinguishable. Trying doesn't come without any difficulties. Get up, dust yourself off, and find the way that will work.

I will train UNTIL. I will practice UNTIL. I will seek UNTIL. I will strive UNTIL. I will forge my body UNTIL. I will punch, kick, block, strike, bite and claw UNTIL. I will polish UNTIL. I will chip away UNTIL. I will add and/or discard UNTIL. I will discover UNTIL. I will seek UNTIL. I will continue to improve UNTIL. I will continue to focus UNTIL. I will, I will, I will, I will, I will... UNTIL I exist no more.

When I finally find, and/or when I finally reach perfection in my techniques, that will pass because the journey continues still, without an end in sight. Perfection continues to play its game of illusion. Any game requires players and every game has rules. Look! "Now" is here! Wait! "Now" has passed! No! "Now" is here again! Wait some more! "Now" vanished again! "Now" is opulent through the illusion of obtaining just one perfect technique.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few."

- Shunryu Suzuki [2]

Even in the above quote, I sincerely believe that the word "until" should've been added. In this case, the beginning martial artist, because of their pure innocence, sees the many possibilities of each and every technique... for now... UNTIL. Until forces the beginner to cast off their innocence of said technique through the acquired maturity of more experience. Practice begets experience. Experience begets knowledge. Knowledge begets perfection. Perfection begets illusion. Illusion begets mired satisfaction.

The expert martial artist isn't any better off than the beginner. The expert over analyzes their techniques until there's nothing left but utter frustration. The expert senses that any possibility of obtaining that one perfect technique might become fewer. Techniques become more scrutinized as that veil of proficiency is interrupted by an unsure feeling. Fatigue causes doubt in one's own ability to properly execute said technique flawlessly, especially while practicing that same said technique for the billionth time. Nonetheless, the expert begins to imagine the worst since they've "failed" that technique just once during that particular set. The expert must still practice over and over UNTIL.

UNTIL he/she either gets the technique right, or UNTIL he/she gets the technique wrong. Who determines whether that said technique is right or wrong? Only a perfectionist can determine this. The line between right or wrong becomes blurred. Perfection demands the beginner and the expert to never accept that it's about as perfect as it will ever be UNTIL the next time. We are our worse critics, as most are, because we're never content no matter the results.

Then it happens! It really happens. The martial artist, beginner or expert, finally finds that one perfect technique UNTIL... UNTIL the search resumes. Wow! Good grief! Back to square one! I'd have it no other way!

References:

[1] learningmatters.com. Copying with Failure.
[2] Suzuki, Shunryu. Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind. Weatherhill. ISBN 0-8348-0079-9

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article, Bob.

I like to think of the search for perfection as the rule of math that states you can keep halving things in front of 0 on the number line, and although you get infinitely closer to 0, you never quite reach it.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

barrypardue
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article!!! THANKS!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: