Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Usage of a Whiteboard Reply with quote

As an instructor, do you or any of your instructors utilize a White Board to help demonstrate your point when teaching?

Where my dojo is located inside a Community Recreation Centre, they left one inside our room. Since I was the Lead Instructor for all our Classes on Wednesday, I used it to explain various points to my students so they could see it in a different way.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is weird as I was talking about this the other day with a friend!

Don't have my own dojang, and my instructor doesn't use one in his, but I would definitely install one in mine. Not only for teaching points throughout class, but I am a fan of using it to outline the lesson objectives and for reviewing the lesson at the end.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!!

It's a very important tool whenever I teach. So much so that whenever I do a seminar, I'll bring one with me if the school where the seminar is being held doesn't have one of their own.

Can't see myself ever without one.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't use them all that frequently, but they can definitely come in handy. Lately, we've actually just been using dry erase markers on the mirrors
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More to the point, I've never owned a whiteboard, but instead, I own a chalkboard mounted on a mobile A-Frame that I bought sometime ago from a small towns General Store.

It has served me well all of these many years...and yes...I still have the darn thing.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
More to the point, I've never owned a whiteboard, but instead, I own a chalkboard mounted on a mobile A-Frame that I bought sometime ago from a small towns General Store.

It has served me well all of these many years...and yes...I still have the darn thing.

Havent seen a Blackboard in Years! They were phased out when I was in Primary School!

Context: they were called that because the board was literally black and a board

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one hanging in our school. I outline on it frequently for BJJ. It keeps me on track and lets students see the progression. For Kali, I'll diagram footwork patterns from time to time, particularly for newer people.

We have experimented with casting keynote slides to a TV but it often proves less than fluid enough for me. I'm going to experiment with Apple TV as well just to give it a go.

Personally, I'm going to try, but I'm pretty famous for being fluid with class structure up until I start the day. The white board gives me a bit more freedom. That said, having an AV set up is nice. Particularly for seminars. We'll run videos for women self defense classes from keynote.

It's handy having some options for presenting.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Boards are great.

Just a suggestion, to have the ideas outlined before explaining them with the dry erasers.

As the ideas can seem to get dragged out and the students might fade out while the diagrams are being drawn up.

Having ideas drawn out beforehand will give you a chance to do a more legible points to focus on.

This way it will lead the class to concepts without rushing the ideas with scribbles and marks.

Also pre drawn ideas cuts down on the amount of time your back faces the class, as this gives you the chance to point and talk while explaining your ideas face to face, which will help you gauge their reactions to your explanations visually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: