Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

CTTKDKing
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Greco Wrestling, Muay Thai, Sho Bin Ju, Boxing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Usage of Osu/Oss Reply with quote

http://www.karatebyjesse.com/meaning-oss-osu-japanese/

Thought this was an interesting read. I hear so many people in the dojo use this magical all encompassing word as a greeting, shout of agreement and in all kinds of other scenarios. I've even started seeing people on this forum use it in their posts as an opener and a closer. I started wondering what the word actually means and I thought the community might like to see as well.

There are some scenarios, all of us should be aware, that "Oss!" would actually be offensive when used so this could save from any awkward encounters.

Thoughts?

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great article. Personally, I hate this term. Largely because everyone that uses it has no idea what it means. Go figure. No one else seems to either.

It's gotten almost embarrassing in BJJ circles as well. You hear it all the time, and we're doing a variation of a variation of an art. Like two steps removed from the country of origin and, in the US at least, two languages away.

Why do we throw this thing out?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few people at our dojo sneak it in, but they picked it up from Japanese styles--it just isn't said on Okinawa. I've shared Jesse's article on the topic a few times .

I always thought it was weird that BJJ somehow picked up the word, too
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current school (Seido Juku) and former school (Kyokushin offshoot) say it a lot. It really irritated me at first, but I don't even notice it anymore. There's some people who are annoying with it by using different tones with it, but other than that I'm over it.

I worked out with a few guys from Taika Oyata's Ryu ate system. They Hai'ed me to death. They thought the Osu was annoying, I thought the Hai was annoying.

It is what it is.

CTTKDKing
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's funny because we have a large group of BJJ guys at my school that all seem to have adopted it.

I read another article somewhere that I was trying to find after finding Jesse's article that explains why you just shouldn't say it because many people, especially people from Japan, find it to be disrespectful. In that article, the writer, who used to say it, said it when greeting a visiting Japanese instructor, who asked him why he said it and told him he shouldn't after hearing the visiting instructor's explanation of why.

Was interesting. I'll post it if I can find it later. At work now, so I probably shouldn't even be on here.

liger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RyobuKai (Shindo Jinen Ryu)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTTKDKing wrote:
Yeah, it's funny because we have a large group of BJJ guys at my school that all seem to have adopted it.

I read another article somewhere that I was trying to find after finding Jesse's article that explains why you just shouldn't say it because many people, especially people from Japan, find it to be disrespectful. In that article, the writer, who used to say it, said it when greeting a visiting Japanese instructor, who asked him why he said it and told him he shouldn't after hearing the visiting instructor's explanation of why.

Was interesting. I'll post it if I can find it later. At work now, so I probably shouldn't even be on here.

Look forward to reading this.

No one in my circles use it yet I have seen it on a few shows I watched. I wondered why they said it.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my dojo (including my old one) we only use it when we are bowing in/out & working with a partner.

I have trained at other dojos for some extra training and they use it all the time. It annoys me, especially when they want the class/student to agree. So what is wrong with the word 'Hai' (Yes)?

Kanku65
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either "Hai" or "Osu" are accepted where I train. Osu seems to be a widely accepted term in Shotokan.
In fact, at recent seminars with Sensei Yaguchi I felt as if he were giving me funny looks everytime I said "Hai!" in a crowd of people shouting mostly "Osu!", so I got with the program real quick.
The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?
- Master Funakoshi

CTTKDKing
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, having a hard time finding the other article I mentioned, which in hindsight may have been a thread in another forum (it's been a while). I found this thread which touches on this subject in a similar manor but also has posts to Jesse's blog about usage of Osu.

http://www.kyokushin4life.com/forum/trainings/japanese-language-culture/382621-osu-is-offensive-to-the-japanese

I more noticed that people are now using Osu in a lot of the martial arts forums that I frequent, even as far as to open and close posts in the forum with Osu (and even here on Karate Forums), and thought some discussion on the subject would be interesting/enlightening.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my wife saw "Osu" in an e-mail from my Sempai all I told her is that it's a Kyokushin thing...can't speak for other styles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: