Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Use it or Lose it? Reply with quote

Which aspect of martial arts have you neglected?

Are you willing to fight to get back what you have lost?

Are your martial art skills going up or down, or perhaps on a Plato?

wildbourgman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I've neglected the physical training aspects of martials especially that aspect in my first martial art. I also think that with some systems losing those things that comes with old age gets replaced with skill and wisdom.

For instance when your 30 years old with kids and a good job you might not be as spry as a 18 years old when it comes to fighting, but your wise enough and skilled enough not to be put in situations where fighting is as necessary.

I think that some martial arts are even more developed in that if you keep training it takes less athleticism, speed and power to achieve the goal of self defense. You might even gain the wisdom and humility to look at a muscled up fire cracker that's looking for trouble, self evaluate your skill set and decide to go in another direction. You learn your limitations through training and you should develop humility in most Eastern martial arts.

So the things that I've truly lost are mostly lost for good due to my age. For instance I used to do a pretty fancy jumping spinning crescent kick when I was 16. If I really tried that today I would be in the emergency room, seriously.

Now could I at 44 make the 16 years old version of myself tap out, yeah!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildbourgman wrote:
I know that I've neglected the physical training aspects of martials especially that aspect in my first martial art. I also think that with some systems losing those things that comes with old age gets replaced with skill and wisdom.

For instance when your 30 years old with kids and a good job you might not be as spry as a 18 years old when it comes to fighting, but your wise enough and skilled enough not to be put in situations where fighting is as necessary.

I think that some martial arts are even more developed in that if you keep training it takes less athleticism, speed and power to achieve the goal of self defense. You might even gain the wisdom and humility to look at a muscled up fire cracker that's looking for trouble, self evaluate your skill set and decide to go in another direction. You learn your limitations through training and you should develop humility in most Eastern martial arts.

So the things that I've truly lost are mostly lost for good due to my age. For instance I used to do a pretty fancy jumping spinning crescent kick when I was 16. If I really tried that today I would be in the emergency room, seriously.

Now could I at 44 make the 16 years old version of myself tap out, yeah!
I really like your last comments; wildbourgman.

I could beat up the 16 year old version of myself with one finger, being more than 3 times older.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Use it or Lose it? Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Which aspect of martial arts have you neglected?

Are you willing to fight to get back what you have lost?

Are your martial art skills going up or down, or perhaps on a Plato?

I'm certain that mine are on the decline right now. Family life and work are taking priority, and so classes are taking a back seat right now. I'm starting to stretch out a bit more now, and I plan to start working the bag some more, too. Its just getting things in place and making time to do so.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Brian, my martial arts is not top priority in my life right now. My job requires me to work one of the two nights we have class each week, and family and health problems have kept my attendance the other day sporadic. The health problems, other commitments, and a general lack of motivation means I'm also not practicing much on my own.

My instructor tells me that in the life of a martial artist there are ups and downs. Many people are really motivated for awhile, then just coast for awhile or take a break, then they come back motivated again. I'm definitely at a down right now.

Summer has always been the busiest time for me at work and that's starting to ramp up now. My dojo also takes a break for the summer, so I'm hoping that in the fall I'll come back with renewed motivation.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a person has martial artist blood flowing through their veins, then, all of the movements during the day will reflect it.

The way a martial artist: walk's, stand's and sit's can be incorporate in everyday movements.

The ABC mindset of "Always Be Conditioning" can be utilized.

The fighting Shaolin Monks, don't go to a kwoon or Dojo twice a week for two hours at a time; their conditioning is constant during the day, (in and around their temple) simultaneously combining martial arts in everything they do.

So when the monks do practice forms or sparring they are conditioned and ready to go, as all martial artists, should be ready also.

Imagine for a moment, that a martial artist takes a year off from practicing or conditioning, it's going to take alot of effort to make up for lost time.

I have employed martial artists in the past, they stretched out during their coffee breaks.

When I couldn't workout due to work responsibilities, I would wear ankle weights hidden under my clothing.

If the wearing of weights idea isn't possible at work, then how about when grocery shopping.

Staircases are great to use for stretching and climbing; stance traing while alone in an elevators is also possible.

ABC method can be done while in church on Sundays. Personally I'm standing on my toes during the service and stretching my quads when kneeling, or simply arching my feet or pressing down on my calves when sitting, a nice little stretching workout 52 weeks of the year; nobody really cares or realizes what I'm doing, except me and my maker, that has never complained to me thus far.

It is not always advisable to train for many hours during the work week, often quality can be more beneficial than quantity.

Martial artists are not immune to the "life happens while making plans" principle.

Therefore stay connected to martial arts even though it doesn't seem apparent to every one else.

Instead of putting your martial arts to one side due to your work commitments, incorporate it in to your work.

Many martial artists use martial art strategies and principals in their work and or business.

If your work is physical, then be even more physical so you become stronger.

If it is seemingly impossible to use martial arts in your work time, then focus on your health instead, this is something, you should never compromise on and there is always room for improvement in this area.

Remember the original karate kid movie, with Daniel Son; simply hammering a nail in to wood can be transferred in to a martial art lesson of efficiency, focus and accuracy.

Creative martial art training or conditioning that fits into your life style is your responsibility, make it interesting and challenging; never give up adapting and believing in yourself.

Difficulty comes in many shapes and forms, these are hurdles and stepping stones that we need face, so as to mature and grow due to challenges and adversities, how boring life would be without them?

If having children is stopping your training, then train with them.

If you have one thing or another stopping you from your martial arts (with the best excuses available) be it family, work or health, bad things happen to the best of us, perhaps the strength you need to get you through these times, is when your martial arts training starts working at its best, to pull you through it all, keeping you alive.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I've neglected my stand up pretty bad for a few years now at least in my core art. I did a stint in Muay Thai for a bit to combat this, but like everyone has said, time is a factor. BJJ pretty much took over my life when I found it so I've been pretty focused on it. Now at the fact I run a school centered on it. It makes it hard to break the Kempo out frequently.

Now, I get time on my feet doing Kali weekly, but even that is only once per week and most of the time there's a weapon in my hand.

I love my core art, and it's gotten me out of a few scrapes on the job. I also acknowledge that I spend less and less time doing as time goes by. Will I get it back?

Maybe.

After the demands of the job lessen. Or I back off of BJJ so much. Or move to running the school full time (not even in the cards- I love my day job) Or something else changes.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Honestly, I've neglected my stand up pretty bad for a few years now at least in my core art. I did a stint in Muay Thai for a bit to combat this, but like everyone has said, time is a factor. BJJ pretty much took over my life when I found it so I've been pretty focused on it. Now at the fact I run a school centered on it. It makes it hard to break the Kempo out frequently.

Now, I get time on my feet doing Kali weekly, but even that is only once per week and most of the time there's a weapon in my hand.

I love my core art, and it's gotten me out of a few scrapes on the job. I also acknowledge that I spend less and less time doing as time goes by. Will I get it back?

Maybe.

After the demands of the job lessen. Or I back off of BJJ so much. Or move to running the school full time (not even in the cards- I love my day job) Or something else changes.
Change is the only real thing that stays consistent.

Neglecting your martial art doesn't seem to be a problem; being in two or more places at the same time, perhaps.

All the best to you tallgeese!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, to have a day job again! That would fix so much!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Ah, to have a day job again! That would fix so much!

Do all patrol LEO's work rotating shifts, no matter what??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: