Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think it comes down to what duties and responsibilities do you have and what is expected of you, and then are you fulfilling those? At the end of the day it should be all about what is best for the student body.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Define, if it's even possible to do so, what might fall under the "neglect" category, please!

For example, COULD, me not being In-house on a more regular basis at our Hombu constitute neglect, as Kaicho [President]??

In a quick nutshell...

I'm only In-House at the Hombu once a quarter, during ramp-ups for our Annual Testing Cycle, emergencies that require my presence, and whenever I feel like making surprise visits. Roughly, 4 months a year. All of my "paperwork" can be done at my home...even though I have an office at the Hombu, I do my duties from the comfort of my home in Houston, TX, and before that, I owned and operated my dojo/retail in Tulsa, OK. I tele-video conference the Hombu on a weekly basis via Skype.

The Upper Hierarchy are quite aware of the who, what, when, where, why, and how of why I no longer live in the California, and the original approval of my not being In-House on a regular basis was given to me by our Dai-Soke a long time ago; this is nothing new.

So...

COULD, me not being In-house on a more regular basis at our Hombu constitute neglect, as Kaicho [President]??

No nothing wrong with you not being there. Do you also travel to other dojo's?

Yes!!

Many months prior to our Annual Testing Cycle, held at the Hombu once a year during the last week of June and the first week of July, I, and a select team from the Hombu, visit each and every dojo within the SKKA network to make ourselves available to them in any capacity they desire. I'm at the Hombu, as I post this, right now in preparation of finalizing each and every detail of my visits to be held over these next few months. These visits cover literally everything from 'A' to 'Z' and back.

I'll also visit Shindokan dojos if a CI requests me for a seminar or for me to administer a Testing Cycle.

I'll also do surprise visits to Shindokan dojos from time to time. A lot of these surprise visits are two folded purposes. One...to make the Hombu's presence felt; not as a control factor, but to let these dojos know that the Hombu is there for them whenever they're in need, and even when they're not in need. Two...to ensure that the curriculum is being taught properly and without any ambiguity, as it was written by our Soke.

I'll also visit Shindokan dojos because I'm craving to be in that environment desperately. I'll show up unannounced, and I'll sit in the very back left, and follow the CI's class. Not as Kaicho, but as Bob...a student wanting to just train. Yeah, dojos get nervous at first, but quite soon, they forget that I'm even there. Students get a kick out of it whenever I show up to just train as one of them.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many months prior to our Annual Testing Cycle, held at the Hombu once a year during the last week of June and the first week of July, I, and a select team from the Hombu, visit each and every dojo within the SKKA network to make ourselves available to them in any capacity they desire. I'm at the Hombu, as I post this, right now in preparation of finalizing each and every detail of my visits to be held over these next few months. These visits cover literally everything from 'A' to 'Z' and back.

I'll also visit Shindokan dojos if a CI requests me for a seminar or for me to administer a Testing Cycle.

I'll also do surprise visits to Shindokan dojos from time to time. A lot of these surprise visits are two folded purposes. One...to make the Hombu's presence felt; not as a control factor, but to let these dojos know that the Hombu is there for them whenever they're in need, and even when they're not in need. Two...to ensure that the curriculum is being taught properly and without any ambiguity, as it was written by our Soke.

I'll also visit Shindokan dojos because I'm craving to be in that environment desperately. I'll show up unannounced, and I'll sit in the very back left, and follow the CI's class. Not as Kaicho, but as Bob...a student wanting to just train. Yeah, dojos get nervous at first, but quite soon, they forget that I'm even there. Students get a kick out of it whenever I show up to just train as one of them.

[/quote]
Yes seems like you do plenty, how many dojos are part of your hombu?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes seems like you do plenty, how many dojos are part of your hombu?

To the bold type above...

How many? The appropriate amount needed in order to accommodate the SKKA's network of its existing student body. That, however, imho, is an inconsequential concern, and therefore, bears no substance to the topic at hand.

Btw, again, in case it's being construed as such, this topic isn't about myself; it's only a hypothetical to enhance a hopeful conversation.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best answer to the original question of what constitutes a vote of non-confidence should not be overly complicated. If a chosen person to make important decisions within the governing body in anyway loses the trust and approval of a majority of those by whom that person was chosen, said individual is no longer fit to hold the responsibility of that position.

Knowledge, technical and administrative skills and the like are important but for a position requiring the trust and approval of peers, character is equally significant.

Someone who abuses their authority or exploits their position for their own benefit to the detriment of everyone else by behaving dishonestly is probably more deserving of a non-confidence vote than one who has a minor inadequacy in administrative skills.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the student body has confidence, but the hierarchy doesn't, for whatever the reasons, anymore??!!??

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
What if the student body has confidence, but the hierarchy doesn't, for whatever the reasons, anymore??!!??

The student body would not necessarily see all that goes on behind the scenes or whether day to day duties are being fulfilled. Unless you hold some sort of open AGM?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really isn't an issue that would show up in our organization. I don't think anyone would attempt to tell our GM this, and if they did, he'd likely just show them the door. That's probably why a lot of the splits in the MA world happen. Instead of ousting someone, instead, there is a break-away, and someone has to start from scratch.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
This really isn't an issue that would show up in our organization. I don't think anyone would attempt to tell our GM this, and if they did, he'd likely just show them the door. That's probably why a lot of the splits in the MA world happen. Instead of ousting someone, instead, there is a break-away, and someone has to start from scratch.

I hear you!! I can't see the SKKA/Hombu splitting/splintering, BUT, weirder things have happened there before. The hierarchy of before, yeah, bunch of jerks, that's why they were removed from any part of the administration. Our history shows that ousting is simpler...I don't know how, but it's the history. We ousted San Dai-Soke because he lost his ever loving mind!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

The student body would not necessarily see all that goes on behind the scenes or whether day to day duties are being fulfilled. Unless you hold some sort of open AGM?

From time to time, we'll hold AGM's, and we do that to keep them updated...kind of like a State of the Union. After all, the student body is affected one way or another, so we owe them that because they've earned it by being part of the student body.

Plus, our newsletter, One Heart, apprises the student body of a lot of behind the scenes information, not all, but quite a lot. Some things, the student body has to roll with because they've no choice but to accept.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: