Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to ask, but do students pay for the month, regardless of how many classes they attend? Summer vacations and the like should naturally change the attendance, but not the cash flow. Perhaps next time consider contracts. Not long term, cash grabbing McDojo contracts, but a contract that guarantees cash flow when students are away for a week or two.

I know, I'm over-simplifying here.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is the students that go away for a week or two don't enroll for the month. A contract would solve that but I wouldn't go that route. I think the biggest thing is not having enough money to get through the start up especially when the start up is at the beginning of summer

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
The problem is the students that go away for a week or two don't enroll for the month. A contract would solve that but I wouldn't go that route. I think the biggest thing is not having enough money to get through the start up especially when the start up is at the beginning of summer

While I'm no great fan of contracts, that doesn't mean that one shouldn't consider it for their particular situation. If the contract covers the gaps for when a student is not on the floor, and gaps must be covered for the bottom line of your P&L, then the viability of your school must be also considered in ones decision to have or not have a contract.

It's, the contract, a fine line but one to be considered across the board so that your surplus funds are covered.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:

I figured they'd take the rest of month off (and subsequently not pay for that month) if they're taking a week or two off. I'd imagine same thing probably happens, albeit to a lesser extent, during Christmas season.

I'm against contracts too, as I feel like it turns the MA into too much of a business and traps people in, but your case makes me rethink that one. And if it's a significant investment and source of income, it must be treated as a business (off the floor anyway).

Due to a rib injury and helping my father clean out a building he's near closing on, I've only been to the dojo about 4 times since the first weekend of June. Not once did I think of telling my CI I'm taking the month off without paying for it just to save the money. I figure it makes up for the times I trained more than usual and it helps keep the dojo there. Maybe I'm the schmuck?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the mindset, and have been this way for quite a long time...well...forever, that a dojo/dojang/etc IS A BUSINESS!! Treating the business less than what it really is does the student and the school a terrible injustice.

Why?

The building can't pay its bills by itself.
The building can't manage the tangible costs by itself.
The building can't clean up after itself by itself.
The building can't negotiate for itself.
The building can't update any equipment for itself.
The building can't advertise for itself.
The building can't pick the price structure for itself.
The building can't manage the Labor Matrix for itself.
The building can't manage the staff for itself.

In short, the building can't do anything for itself, and the building houses the business, no matter how the label might be addressed by the owner...school or dojo or dojang or whatever...it's a business IF THERE ARE OVERHEADS!!

If there are no overheads, then one can call it whatever the owner decides!!

I've been in business for a very, very long time, ever since the mid 1970's, and that means that all of my dojo's have been a business. And a business has to be cared for day in and day out, without neglect, and without exceptions.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
Thanks sensei. She's doing well. Sorry jr137 been a while, been tied up making hard decisions. So, unfortunately I had to make a really tough decision. Rent day came, along with the electric bill. I had 3 new students but I also had 5 go on vacation. I could rough through it in fact I had a few offers to help me out but I decided to close it down. Very upsetting, very very upsetting. It was a choice though. I am having financial problems and it came down to me not wanting to pay for the dojo, I made it up in my mind that it needed to pay for itself. If I wanted I feel after summer an after vacation time I'm sure I'd be successful but right now my family is having some problems with money and me paying wasn't an option so it became an easy decision. Also, I had a Jiu-Jitsu program in place on the days I was at my recreation location because I couldn't be at two places at one time and it allowed my place to be open and functional. I decided the only way I would consider gritting through it is if I could dedicate 100% to the place, unless I got rid of my recreation location I couldn't do that, so another reason to walk away.

I'm not one to give up but I felt that between my personal life and family vs adding another bill (the dojo) it because easy to walk away. Upsetting but didn't really feel it was a choice on the end, it was just the right thing to do for me and my family now. A few said they would follow me to my recreation location, so that's good.

You live and learn. Sometimes in life you have to put yourself out there and take risk in order to succeed and at times you don't but it's always a lesson learned for me, so I never truly lose because I gain something if not the success I sought

That is unfortunate mate that you had to make the decision, but at the end of the day you had to do what was the best for you and your family.

But at least you know what you have to do down the track to get things back up and running again. Maybe when you eventually start back up again you can incorporate the Jujitsu Program so you can potentially attract more students.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The thing is I suppose I learned some things because I'm always open minded, I feel o did a lot of good things though. My turnover was really low and it's what I experience at my first location. On a personal level I'm having some personal problems in my life that are making finances a problem, so letting to dojo go was more of a decision that had to do with serious money problems in my own life amplifying the need to not spen money on the dojo. A normal person in a normal situation should have an could have gotten through this small rough patch. I'm going through some tough times which made it all a lot on me. I feel better letting it go, because at the moment my family needs my focus.

In the future I'll go again no question. I will know to be prepared financially for a slow start and make sure I can weather that storm for a few months. It was a very enjoyable experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: