Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shootfighter
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: No Holds Barred Shootfighter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: was it hard starting out? Reply with quote

was it hard starting out trying to get students? what approach did you take to attract people?

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't own my own school, I can tell you a little.
Your largest market is going to be in children. Therefore, (unless this will totally screw up your art's basis--never sacrifice art for business, that's what makes you a McDojo) try starting some kids' programs like lil' dragons/ninjas, or children's tae kwon do classes (if you happen to be tkd). The one thing you do NOT want to do is to market your school as "combat-oriented" because this is not kid-friendly. I know this sounds like I'm telling you to become a McDojo, but in order to keep your head above water, you need to be business-savvy. But then again, I don't see why doing things in a logical, smart and efficient manner business-wise makes you a McDojo. Just make sure that your training is as good as your marketing.
Whether or not you do kids' classes, you'll want to be aware of the fact that "combat-oriented" classes are extremely intimidating. A family-friendly atmosphere works well. If you market yourself as "combat-oriented", you'll get a few bullies to come to class. However, once they've had their taste of the action and learned a few techniques, they'll most likely leave. You want students that will stay.

I'm sure many more people will give you information that I can't (and someone in the near future will tell you that everything I've said is wrong ), so good luck!

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find some more answers regarding different "approaches" to attract prospective students here in this thread http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=3222&start=0

You must keep a broad marketing approach .. although monkeygirl suggested concentrating on children (largest market) that market also tends to fluctuate throughout the year.

Our school has ten new adult students, some who have crossed over from our fitness kickboxing classes... another good approach to acquiring students.

Shootfighter
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: No Holds Barred Shootfighter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. i have been seriously thinking of opening a school but i disagree about wanting it to feel like a family environment. i dont intend to make it a "scary" experience but IMO little kids should start with something else besides MMA.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: