Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the schoolI train (shotokan) there are a lot of kids that have gi's from other styles, some even doboks. Instructor says that they can buy it later, when they will be sure they want to practicre shotokan or when they can afford new one.
So I dont think someone would mind if you wear your old gi. They might even get curious and as when/what did you learn.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our school you can wear what you like until your first grade. The only thing that is frowned upon is an all black gi, as this is reserved for 3rd kyu and above.

chiliphil1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to read that they did not have a problem with it. I often wondered this myself because my gi is either black pants with a red top, or black pants with a white top with black trim. Most dojos start everyone in plain white, so I wasn't sure if they would allow me to wear my old stuff since it is the color that it is. Truth being, I don't care about recognition for my previous training, rank, etc.. It's just a matter of this being my gi, and it's what I'm comfortable in, but either way it's not that big of a deal, since your new instructor is ok with it, then problem solved. I wish you good luck in your new journey!

8th Kyu
Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiliphil1 wrote:
I'm glad to read that they did not have a problem with it. I often wondered this myself because my gi is either black pants with a red top, or black pants with a white top with black trim. Most dojos start everyone in plain white, so I wasn't sure if they would allow me to wear my old stuff since it is the color that it is. Truth being, I don't care about recognition for my previous training, rank, etc.. It's just a matter of this being my gi, and it's what I'm comfortable in, but either way it's not that big of a deal, since your new instructor is ok with it, then problem solved. I wish you good luck in your new journey!

I know that in my school the colour combination of Red top, black pants would not be allows unless you are 4th dan or above. White top with black pants is reserved for 1st dan and above.

chiliphil1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darksoul wrote:
chiliphil1 wrote:

I know that in my school the colour combination of Red top, black pants would not be allows unless you are 4th dan or above. White top with black pants is reserved for 1st dan and above.

Sorry I am 2 years late on a response, I stepped away from the forums for a bit and boy does time fly! Anyway, for my old school the uniform code was all white below dan with the exception of members of the "black belt club" whom could wear black pants and white gi, the red gi is allowed for 1st dan and above as well as black pants, again with the exception of the "black belt club" The other gi I spoke of is the white with black trim, often called the "master's gi" it's traditional TSD and is allowed by my old school, generally all black is reserved for chief instructors but they are pretty lax on uniform requirements, often allowing t-shirts.

8th Kyu
Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wearing an old gi to a new dojo Reply with quote

A. Orstrom wrote:

The thing is; all my dogi are with the Kyokushin calligraphy and/or the Kanku. Would you view it as disrespectful to visit a new dojo in a different style with another style's calligraphy? It would be a temporary measure, and I would obviously wear a white belt, but I do not want to start off on the wrong foot. Alternatively I would wear the training trousers and a white T-shirt.

What is your take on this?

tricky to be honest!
I to stopped training for an age and when I started back, I visited local dojos as my old dojo was no more.

Like you I wore what I had, a Kyokushin Gi, and in some of the clubs I visited it took all of two or three seconds before the senior grades ...displayed there thoughts or feelings about that.

Some clubs were not openly bothered I was under the impression that they accepted I was a former student of another system and what I was wearing was simply all that I had to offer.
Over time I obtained a standard Gi (no badges etc) which reduced the demonstrations of feelings towards me a great deal!

My thoughts and ideas about MA took a knock as a result, the 'romantic idea' I had about honour and respect evaporated, it took an age before I came to terms and gained a new insight on the MA honour code.

Anyway, enough of my musing I'd promote the idea that it is best to wear trousers and a tee until you understand what that is,
.. or just ask them what they need form you and turn up day one as expected!

Last edited by Hawkmoon on Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wearing an old gi to a new dojo Reply with quote

Hawkmoon wrote:
............in some of the clubs I visited it took all of two or three seconds before the senior grades ...displayed there thoughts or feelings about that.

Some clubs were not openly bothered I was under the impression that they accepted I was a former student of another system and what I was wearing was simply all that I had to offer.
Over time I obtained a standard Gi (no badges etc) which reduced the demonstrations of feelings towards me a great deal!

My thoughts and ideas about MA took a knock as a result................

People should be welcome to train in any Dojo to help spread their knowledge and to gain new knowledge, it is shocking to hear things like this, they have missed a key element of being a Martial Artist.

It's bad to insist you wear you belt/grade/badges in a new club when trying a new style, out of respect you should be willing to start at the end with white belt but should hopefully be recognised and accelerated to an appropriate level over time.
It is terrible to have bad attitude meet you or have people strutting around thinking they are better. This is also where you have people insist on badges and colours etc to promote their style as being better.

In my experience I have trained at several other Shotokan Clubs and been made very welcome, a couple have been a bit odd and one of my friends was kicked hard when trying a new Dojo, a cracked rib was not the sort of welcome you expect.

I have had a TKD black belt enquire about joining my Shotokan club but his ego had trouble fitting in the door...

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know totally unexpected!
I felt I was going mad or something, the Idea to share and learn was (to me anyway) a major point to the MA mind set.

I'm back in a Kyokushin Dojo all dressed up as per 'our' dress code, training and now working towards my Shodan grading next year!

In the dojo, we have a couple TSD boys a couple of MMA guys, and a couple of TKD guy these guys arrived in there 'uniforms' and were welcomed as they are and even asked to wear there grades as they had earned them!

Most of them have now started to wear our uniform as they wish to 'learn' and work form us.

Sure it was not the welcome I received from some of the dojos I walked into but that's possibly why I like my new dojo ...its fits with what I think and feel is right!

The safest answer I can think of is to ask and be sure to not step on toes and so on.
Some it would seem are more enlightened than others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: