Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew one school owner who wore his gi when he ran out for fast food between classes. He said it was great marketing. People would see him in his gi and ask questions.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnASE wrote:
I knew one school owner who wore his gi when he ran out for fast food between classes. He said it was great marketing. People would see him in his gi and ask questions.
If its done right, it can be. After all, most demos are done in public, too.

shadowspawn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to avoid wearing my gi out in public, but sometimes it just has to be done. I think of wearing your gi (especially full gi with belt, jacket, pants) to be an embarrassment personally. It is to me what wearing underwear is. It's no embarrassment to wear it where appropriate, but to be caught in public with it is where it gets embarrassing.

EDIT: and the reason full gi would be more embarrassing than with simply the jacket+pants is simply because of the rank designation that wearing a black belt would imply. It's simply not good news and attracts unnecessary attention to yourself.

shimizu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shukokai Karate (and ITF Tae Kwon-Do)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Relevance Reply with quote

Unless you're going to a grading, examination, demonstration or competition or anything like that - you don't really need to be wearing your gi/dobok/uniform/etc.

Get'erDone
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Kyukoshin, Judo and Self-Defense

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes train outside my house wearing my full gi or at demonstrations. Other than that, I don't like to wear my gi outside because it's underwear. It's the equivalent of parading around a store in a pair of my sweaty boxers and having someone say, "I noticed the logo on your sweaty boxers, what training did you do to make them sweaty?" Not exactly a flattering image.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get'erDone wrote:
I sometimes train outside my house wearing my full gi or at demonstrations. Other than that, I don't like to wear my gi outside because it's underwear. It's the equivalent of parading around a store in a pair of my sweaty boxers and having someone say, "I noticed the logo on your sweaty boxers, what training did you do to make them sweaty?" Not exactly a flattering image.

If your gi is underwear, are you doing Vale Tudo?

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda gross isn't it? I don't know about everyone else, but we get very sweaty and my gi basically becomes like a wet washcloth full of my and other people's sweat. I take a clean gi to class, change into it and train, change back out of it to go somewhere else.

Not many people go to a gym, work out hard, then go hang out in the supermarket drenched in sweaty gym clothes.

It's just weird.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
It's kinda gross isn't it? I don't know about everyone else, but we get very sweaty and my gi basically becomes like a wet washcloth full of my and other people's sweat. I take a clean gi to class, change into it and train, change back out of it to go somewhere else.

Not many people go to a gym, work out hard, then go hang out in the supermarket drenched in sweaty gym clothes.

It's just weird.

Totally agree!!!!!!!

Solid Post!!!!

Get'erDone
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Kyukoshin, Judo and Self-Defense

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
Get'erDone wrote:

If your gi is underwear, are you doing Vale Tudo?

I haven't studied Vale Tudo.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get'erDone wrote:

Respectfully, where did you get the idea that a gi is underwear? It's actually a very modern invention which, like the belt system, was developed by Jigoro Kano for uses in Judo. Everyone else just followed suit. It's not and never was underwear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: