Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do/Hapkido

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="darksoul"]In my dojo's when you finish, you take off your belt kneeling.

Since becoming a black belt I have taken on the habit of my old master of taking off my jacket, laying it on the floor and folding it. It's a ritual of sorts. Once perfectly folded, I put it away in my bag along with my belt, which is also folded.[/quote]

That is a ritual worth following! The respect for the art should include the respect for the tools! When I finish home repair, construction, or auto repair, I always clean and oil my tools, and to that end, I will respect my gi, when I begin wearing it... I also believe in not giving people an advantage. Even if you used Bruce Lee's brain, Chuck Norris' fists, and Bolo Yeung's legs I would not wear a gi or a belt (which I have seen some numbskulls wear without the gi) outside of the practice arena or a training/sparring/demo session. Reminding one's self to respect the uniform also keeps one from forgetting... If you do not mind, I am going to follow this protocol/ritual! You have some of the best posts darksoul!!! Thank you!

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do/Hapkido

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DoctorQui"]I can't think of anything worse (well, actually yes I can but for the benefit of this thread lets say I can't! ) than wearing a wet and smelly gi home from a tough training session. I'm lucky as there are shower and changing facilities where I train!

I never wear a gi to and from training, for the reasons above and not wanting to draw unwanted attention to myself.[/quote]

Excellent thought... besides the respect for the uniform, it is a canvas body covering, and it does get heavy/sweaty... why wear it out?? LOL

blacknebula
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started I used to wear my gi to and from the dojo. However, after a while I noticed that Sensei and the senior students always wore street clothes and changed before and after so I decided if they were doing that I probably should too!

SonGoku92
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju kenpo, Ninjutsu, Kenjutsu (self taught)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive actually been thinking of making gi-like clothing for wearing around town with maybe just a simple sash matching my rank. different enough that its not /actually/ a gi but similar enough that it gives the same feeling but doesn't look quite as odd and isn't going to offend anyone. although would it be acceptable to wear your actual gi if you were, say...practicing in the park? I like to train with a buddy of mine in the neighborhood sometimes cause theres a park nearby. I wouldn't think its a problem if your there for actual training and not just randomly wearing it. I mean... its all about context right?
"I am the hope of the universe! I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace,I am protector of the innocent, I am the light in the darkness, I am truth... Ally to good! nightmare to you!"

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonGoku92 wrote:
Ive actually been thinking of making gi-like clothing for wearing around town with maybe just a simple sash matching my rank. different enough that its not /actually/ a gi but similar enough that it gives the same feeling but doesn't look quite as odd and isn't going to offend anyone. although would it be acceptable to wear your actual gi if you were, say...practicing in the park? I like to train with a buddy of mine in the neighborhood sometimes cause theres a park nearby. I wouldn't think its a problem if your there for actual training and not just randomly wearing it. I mean... its all about context right?

Like Patrick Swayze in Road House:

SonGoku92
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
SonGoku92 wrote:

Like Patrick Swayze in Road House:

hahaha! not... quite what I meant but I guess close enough xD
"I am the hope of the universe! I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace,I am protector of the innocent, I am the light in the darkness, I am truth... Ally to good! nightmare to you!"

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly due to living in a fairly good town/area then i always wear my gi to and from training, partly due to time constraints and going to train straight after work, then going straight home to eat, sometimes there isn't time to change! Other times I arrive/leave with students and we have a policy/rule of NOT changing with students so I have to be careful.

Other times it's good advertising for the club, I normally throw a jacket/fleece over the top so if I am near a few lads or feel it may cause problems then it's easy to cover up. A lot of people show respect (even though you are not looking for it) and a lot of people are openly chatty and will ask you about your MA. Sometimes it's good to let people know there is a Dojo nearby.

Anyone that wears it to show off or to demand respect maybe doing so for the wrong reasons. In an ideal world it would be folded up and packed away before/after use.

SonGoku92
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mal103 wrote:
Mostly due to living in a fairly good town/area then i always wear my gi to and from training, partly due to time constraints and going to train straight after work, then going straight home to eat, sometimes there isn't time to change! Other times I arrive/leave with students and we have a policy/rule of NOT changing with students so I have to be careful.

Other times it's good advertising for the club, I normally throw a jacket/fleece over the top so if I am near a few lads or feel it may cause problems then it's easy to cover up. A lot of people show respect (even though you are not looking for it) and a lot of people are openly chatty and will ask you about your MA. Sometimes it's good to let people know there is a Dojo nearby.

Anyone that wears it to show off or to demand respect maybe doing so for the wrong reasons. In an ideal world it would be folded up and packed away before/after use.

Id say that makes sense. a kid was asking me about my MA when I was walking there from my house... hope he joins us ^^

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought that quite often I have my Gi in a bag in my car whilst it's parked near work, as my rucksack could be seen to hold a laptop then I often open it up to show that it's only training kit and nothing worth smashing the window for.

I wonder it that is also a very good car theft deterrent?

Although I would miss my Gi more than my car....

SonGoku92
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I dont even have a car. but when I get my really nice Gi around blue belt or so Id say I would probably feel that way too. the one I have now is cheap and a bit too small. I can almost do splits now but my pants aren't even close. xD kind of a pain but oh well..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: