Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

cheesefrysamurai
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sometimes leave class with my pants but i would never wear my gi outside the dojo.

There is no valid reason to. (IMO)

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some times I shower at home after training and then I might drive home with my gi on. Other reason for wearing a Gi outside dojo could be an outdoor training session. We use to do those, in 80' but not so much lately:)

cheesefrysamurai
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with outdoor training too. It's a training uniform.

I don't really like the message I feel wearing my hi outside sends. I'm weird and private in that way.

xo-karate wrote:
Some times I shower at home after training and then I might drive home with my gi on. Other reason for wearing a Gi outside dojo could be an outdoor training session. We use to do those, in 80' but not so much lately:)

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dojo is 50 yards from my front door, walking to the hall in my gi has never been a problem.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear my karate gi to and from class, but not my judo gi. It's just the cultures of the different classes-- in karate almost every one wears their gi to and from class (sans belt-- for some reason we carry our belts to and from class), but in judo everyone changes before and after class... I just follow the crowd...

I do have a funny story, though. One day after class I realized I really needed to get gas and didn't have time the next morning to get it, so I stopped at the gas station in my gi and tried to pump my gas as inconspicuously as possible when a giant pickup pulled into a parking spot and just sat there for a minute. I was getting worried because it looked like the kind of truck a trouble maker would drive (I stereotype... sorry...) and I was trying to cover my gi as much as possible. All of a sudden the door opens and our junior black belt jumps out in his full gi with his belt on and runs into the store and I notice his brown belt father and our instructor sitting in the front seats... I laughed out loud.

JonWal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty self conscious so Ill get changed in the toilets at the dojo, other times if Im running late or its raining heavily I'll get changed in the house and dive into the car so neighbours dont see me.

I've never been told otherwise, but I've always left my belt until just before entering the Dojo.

No way I could wear my Gi around the village I live, its not rough, but I'd rather people not know I do karate for confrontational issues.

My sensei wears a club training top and I know has been challenged by some drunk idiots when out with his family ''come on Karate man, fight me!'' I think people have realised now that hes not one to be messed with.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three options

1. after training take off my belt, throw on a jacket and walk to the bus stop safely.

2. change into a t-shirt, pack belt and gi top into bag and run to the bus stop in the nick of time.

3. change into civvies, pack gi into bag and run to the bus stop like a madman across several lanes of traffic, bounce off a car or two and still end up walking the eight miles home, assuming nothing is broken.

Since the club won't change its training times and I can't force the bus company to run a later service I tend to prefer the first option...

jimfaul
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, Uechi Ryu Karate, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wear my uniform outside of class. Personally I would feel awkward walking around in my uniform.

JonWal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derwentbob wrote:
I have three options

1. after training take off my belt, throw on a jacket and walk to the bus stop safely.

2. change into a t-shirt, pack belt and gi top into bag and run to the bus stop in the nick of time.

3. change into civvies, pack gi into bag and run to the bus stop like a madman across several lanes of traffic, bounce off a car or two and still end up walking the eight miles home, assuming nothing is broken.

Since the club won't change its training times and I can't force the bus company to run a later service I tend to prefer the first option...

Haha, the stuff us Wado students have to go through eh!?

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonWal wrote:
Haha, the stuff us Wado students have to go through eh!?

Well at least I only look like an 80s throwback in my white trousers and training jacket. I always get changed fully after Iaido practice as it doesn't pay to wander around the streets of Yorkshire in what looks like a skirt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: