Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Wearing your uniform outside of class Reply with quote

I often see kids (& less often) adults wearing their full uniforms out & about at the grocery store, restaurants running errands etc. (not part of a demo at that location). I'm not a fan of it at all for a few reasons: Inviting unwanted comments, may stain the uniform permenantly, takes the uniqueness of the uniform for training away...just to name a few.

What do you think about wearing full MA uniform outside of class?

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am for most part in agreement with you. I can see the kids wearing them due to the fact of trying to get kids to chanage out before and after their classes. As for the adult asspect I don't see why it would ever happen. They should be mature enough to get to class in enough time to change before hand. And shouldn't be to lazy to change afterwords.

vantheman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in some forms of Martial Arts, wearing your gi outside of the dojo at all was disrespectful. While that is not the case for my dojo, I do agree that the uniform (especially the jacket) should not be worn around public. At my MA school, they sell t-shirts with the schools name on it for that purpose (as well as wearing the t-shirts in class instead of the gi in the summer months). Technically, the gi is legally theirs and they can do what they want with it, but I think it is not a smart or humble thing to do.

-VTM

Sainthood
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen an adult wear their gi outside the dojo before. I don't see a reason why an adult would do this when they can easily change before/after training.
As a kid my dojo was only two blocks away and I would change at home before walking over just so I wouldn't have to bring a bag but as I grew older I grew out of that habit

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I see someone walking around town in a gi and belt, I want to step out and challenge them to a poorly dubbed duel.

....what? Don't tell me you haven't thought the same thing?

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
Every time I see someone walking around town in a gi and belt, I want to step out and challenge them to a poorly dubbed duel.

Yeah, Me too!

I allow the kids to wear their Gis but adults I tend to let them off with Gi pants but definately no jacket or Belt on

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:

It's been years since I've seen an adult walking about in a full gi and belt in public but when I use to it strike me as funny. The reason being was I would see them at the local Wal-Mart and they would tend to gather up in a group and talk. It was almost like seeing a gang of karateka there would be so many of them in the group. I would often think of the group how many I could take out before they got me incopassitated.

still kicking
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu Karate, Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often leave the dojo wearing my gi pants, but with a t-shirt or sweatshirt on top. I would never wear the jacket and belt in public, that would seem ridiculous.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, see, this is one of those things that seems totally odd to me, because I have ALWAYS worn my gi to and from the dojo, ever since I first got a gi--normally I go straight there and back, but every now and then I do have to stop and run errands and I usually take the gi top and belt off, but sometimes I don't if it's cold or I need to carry more than my keys. It was never mentioned to me when I started training and the habit stuck because I am one of those people that hates changing in locker rooms, or even bathrooms (I am ALWAYS early to class, so that isn't the issue). I can see where everyone is coming from, but I just don't feel like it's any more of a big deal than wearing a cyclists outfit--maybe a little weird to those outside the hobby, and not something you would normally wear, but there isn't anything terrible about not changing out of it to stop and pick up a gallon of milk.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wear my gi outside of the dojo, but usually just to commute to or from training, especially when training is outdoors as it was for half of the year in my college club. Ladies removing their shirts in the open unfortunately attracts a lot of attention on a large university campus. >_<

I don't usually go to the store in my gi unless I need some emergency mouth-guards for competitors at a tournament or something. Even then I would most likely wear a jacket that covered everything but my pants.

I don't think bending the 'rules' for a good reason bothers me too much though. My sensei once said "If you truly love something, it is impossible to be embarrassed by it." To be honest, I feel more at ease wearing my gi than I do wearing pretty much anything else I own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: