Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I think not having a website of some form of social media page these days is akin to not having a spot in the Yellow Pages 30 years ago. If someone only wants 2 students, then no, its not likely a big deal. But, if one wants to have a shot at being noticed by prospective students, then it is a necessity.

Having a web presence is also important because more and more people today are checking their social media pages for updates, postponements, cancellations, etc. Its not just advertising, but communication in general with current students.

I do think it is an important tool to have today.

Nice analogy.

Ultimately it depends what you want. If you want to actively grow your student base, you would benefit from a website. People don't look through the Yellow Pages anymore to find a school, they Google it. A web presence is your first chance to make a good impression on a potential student and unfortunately if people can find no trace of you online, you don't really look legit. Even if its just a landing page with your contact details on and directions, it is better than nothing.

But if you are happy with your current student base and growth, maybe there's no need for one.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
I think not having a website of some form of social media page these days is akin to not having a spot in the Yellow Pages 30 years ago. If someone only wants 2 students, then no, its not likely a big deal. But, if one wants to have a shot at being noticed by prospective students, then it is a necessity.

Having a web presence is also important because more and more people today are checking their social media pages for updates, postponements, cancellations, etc. Its not just advertising, but communication in general with current students.

I do think it is an important tool to have today.

Nice analogy.

Ultimately it depends what you want. If you want to actively grow your student base, you would benefit from a website. People don't look through the Yellow Pages anymore to find a school, they Google it. A web presence is your first chance to make a good impression on a potential student and unfortunately if people can find no trace of you online, you don't really look legit. Even if its just a landing page with your contact details on and directions, it is better than nothing.

But if you are happy with your current student base and growth, maybe there's no need for one.

Good point about a landing page. I would even suggest a class schedule on there. I mean you don't need to have a bio of every instructor.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A website doesn't have to be anything elaborate. It can be a minimal thing listing who you are, where you are, when you have class, and how to get ahold of you. My dojo's website, for reference...

https://www.adirondackseidokarate.com

We also have a Facebook page that's basically a way of communicating with students regarding closures due to weather, reminders of events and times, and posting pictures of events. Nothing fancy, just the basics...

https://m.facebook.com/AdirondackSeidoKarate/

I don't have a Facebook page (I am one of those 15 adults between 15-85 that don't have one ) but I check the dojo's Facebook as a reminder for upcoming stuff and if the weather's bad. It saves me a phone call and/or a wasted trip.

Just some thoughts. The internet is this generation's yellow pages.

Edit: I highly doubt having your age policy on your website will keep people from inquiring about their 5 year olds. Let's be serious, no one reads anymore.

Last edited by JR 137 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Another reason why we two have many things in common; kind of strange, but kind of reassuring that I'm the only one with these problems within a governing body entity.

I wrote an article here at KF that speaks specifically to your plight...

http://www.karateforums.com/why-my-martial-arts-school-doesn-t-have-a-website-vt47179.html

That article, as well as the discussions that followed it, might have some things of interest that might aide you. As always, I'm here to help in any way possible, and it helps me if you ask me direct questions so that I can share what we've/I've experienced in this area, should you still have any questions/concerns still.

Btw, the SKKA/Hombu STILL DOES NOT HAVE A WEBSITE for the many reasons mentioned in the article and discussions.

At the end of the day...it's all good!!

So schools that are apart of the SKKA are not allowed to make a website? I mean from you have told us, your student body between all schools is a good size. Therefore, I guess a website doesn't make a difference.

Dojo's that are within the SKKA network can have a website, if they choose to do so; after all, it's their school to do with as they desire, the SKKA would NOT interfere with that schools policies.

I strictly do not have a website, nor have I ever had a website, nor do I want a website, nor will I ever want one; I do quite well, in that each of the dojo's I've owned and operated had a student body of over 300 on an average.

As far as the Hombu is concerned, I don't know if it'll ever have a website in my life time; it's not a priority. The Hombu has entertained having a website, and this desire is more curious than practical, for quite some time.

A website is the choice of the school alone!!

EDIT: Sentence structure corrections

Last edited by sensei8 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:

I don't have a Facebook page (I am one of those 15 adults between 15-85 that don't have one ) but I check the dojo's Facebook as a reminder for upcoming stuff and if the weather's bad. It saves me a phone call and/or a wasted trip.

J

I think 15 might be an overestimation. I suspect that Sensei8 does not either. So that just leaves you two.

I congratulate you on your increased productivity in life.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sensei8"]
The Pred wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

I strictly do not have a website, nor have I ever had a website, nor do I want a website, nor will I ever want one; I do quite well, in that each of the dojo's I've owned and operated had a student body of over 300 on an average.

Am I the only one that reads this as a Dr. Seus tone?

I respect that even in your organization's leadership role that you did not allow that power to go to your head and let schools run themselves. If I lived closer I would totally look to you for training.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do have a Facebook page, but it's a personal one, and I've never used my FB page for any of my dojo's. The SKKA/Hombu, doesn't have a FB page other, for the same reason(s) that it doesn't have a website. It's just not that important...at all!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LLLEARNER"]
sensei8 wrote:
The Pred wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Am I the only one that reads this as a Dr. Seus tone?

I respect that even in your organization's leadership role that you did not allow that power to go to your head and let schools run themselves. If I lived closer I would totally look to you for training.

Thanks, LLLEARNER!! A long, long, long, well, you get the meaning, ago, I learned to check my ego at the door, and when I do, the student body of my dojo's, as well as the SKKA/Hombu benfit the most from that. Our floor awaits you, my friend!!

After I re-read what I had posted, I too read it as a Dr. Seuss tone!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

J

I think 15 might be an overestimation. I suspect that Sensei8 does not either. So that just leaves you two.

I congratulate you on your increased productivity in life.

Add me to the list for three.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Full disclusure: I am a tech savvy 50+ person. I don't consider myself a Facebook fan, but I am pragmatic about Facebook and what it does.

If you look at a club facebook page, or a full website as being your on-line, 24/7 Bulletin board. This is what it is basically, if you produce a club newsletter then think of a club website as being a digital version, plus a whole lot more besides. And you can always control who see's it's contents and who can comment etc. Facebook pages seem to be getting more popular than full websites, likely for several reasons, free as opposed to the cost of proprietary websites, easy to update and more user friendly as most of the younger gen are very facebook "literate" , a message regarding tonight's class for example will quickly get around the student network, rather than having to make 30 phone calls to each individual. PMs can be sent direct to most people's smart phones etc. Calendars, booking schedules etc, there are many powerful tools available for facebook users.
Facebook is a great social media tool for any organization or business. When they first came out, I think I read somewhere that TVs were considered by many to be just a passing fad....................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: