Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrisw08
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito/ Kenshin Kan/ of Grandmaster Fusei Kise/

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: weight class hits and advice Reply with quote

I was curious how much harder the blows are in diffrent weight division. Im 5 8 and i should be able to get to a low one in mma but ive sparred with someone 200 lbs with boxing gloves. He was a amataur boxer it was alot of force. I didnt know how mma gloves feel diffrent and if i was either 160 to around 175 how much harder the blows are at diffrenr weight classes. Also how bad is it to get beat up till knockout it sounds intense but is it realy as bad as it sounds

Im also trying to figure out if i want to kyokushin or shotokan. They say kyokushin is better for mma but i dont like getting hit that much and shotokan is longer stanced and they dont just stand there and take the punishment but i dont know if it is good for my body type since im shorter 5 8 and idealy realy strong at 160 or so. Lyoto machida is my idol but he is tall and linky were im im short and stocky dont know if those long movements would work for me. I have realy small hands but big feet and my feet naturaly curved at 45 degree so my feet arent straight

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can say that MMA gloves are firmer and smaller, and in comparison to boxing gloves, I would say that MMA gloves feel like a *thud* while boxing gloves feel like a *thump*, if that makes any sense? The amount of force transferred is almost the same, from the measurements I've seen, although it feels different. Of course, the adrenaline dump in competition meant that I didn't really feel the punches in my MMA fight all that much--they just felt like sudden pressure, really.

I didn't get knocked out in my fight, but I did get hit a lot, and saw stars. I did knock out my opponent, but it was with a single strike, and from what I understand, you don't really notice being knocked out. You just suddenly wake up on the floor. I can say that being knocked around and dazed is kind of sickening, but not really all that painful during the fight (again, adrenaline).

As far as fighting style goes, don't let your build keep you from fighting like a Shotokan guy. If that's the way you want to fight, you might be able to make it happen, if you work at it.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

chrisw08
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito/ Kenshin Kan/ of Grandmaster Fusei Kise/

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you, i seen your shorin ryu is that the mma style you used. Im a green belt in kenshinkan shorin ryu okinawan and kubudo. Did you use power based strikes in your fight at long stance or shorter stance with quick sttikes. I like the concept of the slow power and being tactical to not get hit instead of just getting in there and fighting but im afraid that i wont have fast enough feet work get rushed and get caught up trying to evade while im getting beat up

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to keep in mind is that longer stances are going to be less mobile than a shorter stance. A shorter stance will mean better mobility, which in turn can help you avoid getting hit more. Also, footwork helps you control the stance, and control how much you get hit, so if that is a concern, then make sure to work on your footwork a bunch to get it up to par.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a bit of a mid-length stance, because my opponent was a wrestler and I didn't want to be too high. That said, the adrenaline dump I experienced really messed up my depth perception, and I got hit and taken down, and then punched a lot--I didn't do much striking, at all. I only landed three strikes in that fight; a leg kick that just barely caught him with the toes, a short shot behind the ear on the ground, and the roundhouse kick to the head that knocked him out. I certainly had plans to hit with fast, relaxed strikes, rather than go for power, but it didn't work out that way.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
I used a bit of a mid-length stance, because my opponent was a wrestler and I didn't want to be too high. That said, the adrenaline dump I experienced really messed up my depth perception, and I got hit and taken down, and then punched a lot--I didn't do much striking, at all. I only landed three strikes in that fight; a leg kick that just barely caught him with the toes, a short shot behind the ear on the ground, and the roundhouse kick to the head that knocked him out. I certainly had plans to hit with fast, relaxed strikes, rather than go for power, but it didn't work out that way.
I think Mike Tyson said it best, "I had a plan, then I got punched in the mouth."

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When one is learning how to golf, one can't muscle a golf ball; it's all about technique, that too is a punch. It's not the style as much as it is the practitioner. If the practitioner is trying to muscle the punch, then the punch will not have much power compared to the practitioner who's using pure technique, well, that's where the club meets the ball, so to speak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: