Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Mtal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: What combative to take? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I done different martial arts, but right now, I do not have a lot of time and would like to at least keep up my self defence skills. So far my choices are Systema (I could probably do a 1 1/2 hour class once a week, maybe twice), Krav Maga (probably the same as above time wise), or a self defense class based on JKD (which I have done a little bit of, it's a 1 1/2 class.)

What to take? Systema looks interesting, Krav Maga looks pretty no non sense, JKD has all the ranges. Then I worry about time, since I can only go once a week, maybe that should be one of the reasons why I should go with one style over the other.

I would also like something that deals with multiple attackers. Well not that I wish that to ever happen, but nothing I have taken really taught me much on how to deal with that, and I figure if I am in a self defence situation, it's probably going to be more of them than me and what if I get cornered.

Oh and something I learn knife defense. Always scared that if I cannot run what do I do. I also seen so many knife defense that do not work etc...

Well any thoughts would be great. It would help me compare. Oh and if there is another combative I should consider, let me know. I would take classes in NYC so if anyone knows a good school please let me know.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on each individual instructor, club, other students, and how that entire equation fits with you. More to the point, how you fit in with that equation. That's going to be a major determining factor in your choice.

That said, I hear where you're coming from and the general advice you're looking for. Personally, I don't know much about Systema and just a touch more about Krav.

That said, lots of material I see in regard to Systema is questionable at best in regard to theory and application. This might not be the case across the board, but it's prevalent enough for lots of weird stuff to creep out. I'd be suspect of it.

Krav has some serious quality control issues. But, it's got a good set of principles and might be what you're looking for.

Likewise, JKD deals with just about the same paragraph as above. It's edge, to me, is the great deal of FMA influence in some blends of JKD that give it a great set of footwork to launch off of. It's also going to be, usually, more open minded about options that Krav will due to its eclectic nature. Depending on the lineage, expect to see some good, combat oriented ground work in JKD as well.

Now, full disclosure, I'm a bit of a JKD guy so take my recommendation with a grain of salt. That said, I'd lean to the JKD courses. You're likely going to get a wide array of ranges and tactics unified by functional footwork and a willingness to experiment.

Good luck and let us know where you land and what your experience is like.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would be best served by visiting all three schools, talking to the instructors, and watching classes. That will help you make your decision much more than our advice! There are good schools and bad schools for all three arts you list. We won't really be able to tell you if the ones you're looking at are good or bad. I will say that JKD is probably going to cover more material than the other two, so it has that going for it.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same advice from me, a good instructor can make any system work. If that system is a good one then the effect is multiplied. If the choice lay just with style, Systema is an unknown quantity for me, Krav Maga is not really a system in its own right unless you have skills already and the last one would be the best in my opinion. JKD based systems, be they Wing Chun based, original Jun Fan Kung Fu based or the popular Filipino based JKD; they all can be good as JKD has an ethic to use your strengths and cope with any weakness you may have. Good Luck.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with all three posts above...they cover many wide concerns that should be thought through. I'm more of a...visit every single one of them as often as it's required of you to make your final decision.

Remember this...training and the streets are two separate speeds!!

Good luck in your search, and we look forward in hearing which one, if any, that you choose.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what the others have said in regards to checking out each school and seeing what they have to offer, and how well it fits with what you want. That is going to be the key factor.

I have some experience with Krav, and the experience I had was a pretty good one, and I enjoyed it a lot, but it was law enforcement focused. I would like to have the opportunity to work JKD, though. So those are the two ways I would lean.

cheesefrysamurai
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:

Krav has some serious quality control issues. But, it's got a good set of principles and might be what you're looking for.

When I was looking for a dojo i was considering krav. The problem is that they all seem to belong to different organizations that claim to be the only true real krav.

It seems VERY different from other organizational rivalries. Other organizations usually claim allegiance to one grandmaster or one particular student of a master. Lineage is vital in this sense but other lineages are accepted and respected. Krav seems like a much smaller world with more mottled lineage - I COULD BE COMPLETELY WRONG. There may be a clear person who has been chosen to carry on the system. I may very well be naive and falling for the sales pitches.

It doesn't much matter now. I have found my home in traditional Okinawan Goju Ryu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: