Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I think that you've hit a home run in 12 months...SOLID! How so? Well, in your 12th month you did what? Your numbers didn't grow, which speaks about stability, AND, you didn't shrink at all either, which speaks about, again, stability.

Have you yet figured out what would be an acceptable decrease on EACH quarter, that wouldn't affect your bottom line?

I ask that, because, as you know, life can get in the way of the dojo/dojang, as it's expected. Baseball/football, school activities, vacations, etc affect the bottom line.

With 34 students, for the moment, if it was me, I'd be within tolerances with 5 students at a time, per month, that weren't on the floor. However, and I'm dead against this, contract students must pay whether they're on the floor or not. Those 5 off the floor are about a 15% decrease, and anything above that would affect my bottom line. Nonetheless, those moments when life gets in the way, the other months overshadow those "slow" months, and therefore, responsibilities are still being meet.

That's when I'd plan seminars and the like in the hopes of recouping finances during those months when the dojo/dojang are the last place in their plans.

So a bottom line for me? Well, in all honesty I'm a struggling martial arts instructor trying to make it. I have wanted a second location on opposing days since I opened but as many calls and many places I showed up, nothing. This is what made me sign a lease at the new location. It's because I'm under my bottom line at the first location and it wasn't enough to work 2 days a week.

The other thing is I am not a member of the community where my Rec center is located so it's hard to grow a great deal of you never get out there. The new location is near my home. When I always meet people they find out I teach and say "oh, little jimmy wants to take karate, where are you?" I tell them, "I'm 30 miles south of here" and it stops there haha. Now I can say we're right up the street. We are very active in our community so I'm excited/nervous to see what happens.

As for my first location I hope to still do what I do and make it as solid in 2016 as it has been in 2015. Now, with a full time location I'm happy, even if I don't make a million bucks I'll be content having a place I can dedicate full time to.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is more important than stability because that is what keeps the dojo running. If very few join and people stay year after year, there is little growth but it means the dojo stays open. That alone is a sign of success. Turnover rate ceases to be relevant when the dojo retains enough members to remain active. The key number of members is determined by the dojo's vocation.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Nothing is more important than stability because that is what keeps the dojo running. If very few join and people stay year after year, there is little growth but it means the dojo stays open. That alone is a sign of success. Turnover rate ceases to be relevant when the dojo retains enough members to remain active. The key number of members is determined by the dojo's vocation.

Solid post!!

I'd only start to fret when the numbers start a downward spiral dive to the bottom...then, I'd look at ME, and ME only as the cause.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructor is the heart of the dojo and everything ultimately depends on that one person. A school can have all the best facilities and equipment but if the instructor is not good, it will fail. Martial arts skills are but one piece of the puzzle. Personality is another and neither can be bought.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Spartacus Maximus wrote:

Solid post!!

I'd only start to fret when the numbers start a downward spiral dive to the bottom...then, I'd look at ME, and ME only as the cause.

While I agree with taking responsibility, things can fall regardless of the quality of the instructor and assistants. You have to look all all outside possibilities as well. Keep in mind Lex is based in a rec center...

Are the hours appropriate - perhaps he'd get more students on other days and/or times the space is unavailable

Did the rec center change policies such as fees to members, wanting more money per his students, etc. These things can drive away students, and he's got no control over the policies the rec center sets.
Is the building in disrepair
Are the rec center clients bothering his students

And so on. In a rec center, people look at the programs contained within it to be extensions of the rec center, and not an individual renting space and running his own program. They may also look at it as a short term activity. If parents have a membership to the rec center and view his program as something for the kids to do while they do their own thing in the rec center, what happens if the parents decide to leave the rec center?

Being in there throws a different spin on things. A lot of it has no correlation to the level of instruction nor his personality.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Spartacus Maximus wrote:

Solid post!!

While I agree with taking responsibility, things can fall regardless of the quality of the instructor and assistants. You have to look all all outside possibilities as well. Keep in mind Lex is based in a rec center...

Are the hours appropriate - perhaps he'd get more students on other days and/or times the space is unavailable

Did the rec center change policies such as fees to members, wanting more money per his students, etc. These things can drive away students, and he's got no control over the policies the rec center sets.

And so on. In a rec center, people look at the programs contained within it to be extensions of the rec center, and not an individual renting space and running his own program. They may also look at it as a short term activity. If parents have a membership to the rec center and view his program as something for the kids to do while they do their own thing in the rec center, what happens if the parents decide to leave the rec center?

Being in there throws a different spin on things. A lot of it has no correlation to the level of instruction nor his personality.

Now...that's a very solid post!!

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Spartacus Maximus wrote:

Solid post!!

Haha that is a great post because it's so deep and insightful! I am in a Rec center, I have the center for the 2 days a week I have it, obviously I have to always wonder how things would be if I was in oposing days, or more days of course. I do my classes in 2 days a week only.

Also, you wouldn't believe how many people email me and say "is there karate this month?" After doing their first month. I say we are a year round program until I'm blue in the face BUT what about the ones that assume and didn't write me?

We are cheap as far as a karate program goes, and the Rec center takes a small cut so not a bother there BUT how are MY customers treated by the Rec center in general? That's a good question. The rec center does a poor job of advertising, they almost always have times wrong in the brochure, and they just allowed another program in one of their facilities about 10 min away. The style is goju ryu and I know nothing outside of that. Fact is, the real test will be what happens in April and I open my first stand alone facility, none of these factors will be an issue.

I have condenced my rec center classes into 2 classes (was 4), and I am working on getting a few other classes at my dojo to run while I'm teaching at the rec center, then when I'm done I'll finish at the dojo with my classes. Have a jiu jitsu guy interested so I think it will be a lot of good stuff happening. Yes, April will be my true test as an instructor, and I sure hope I pass haha! Nervous to say the least, sensei8 said if I build it they will come lol!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Spartacus Maximus wrote:

Solid post!!

Haha that is a great post because it's so deep and insightful! I am in a Rec center, I have the center for the 2 days a week I have it, obviously I have to always wonder how things would be if I was in oposing days, or more days of course. I do my classes in 2 days a week only.

Also, you wouldn't believe how many people email me and say "is there karate this month?" After doing their first month. I say we are a year round program until I'm blue in the face BUT what about the ones that assume and didn't write me?

We are cheap as far as a karate program goes, and the Rec center takes a small cut so not a bother there BUT how are MY customers treated by the Rec center in general? That's a good question. The rec center does a poor job of advertising, they almost always have times wrong in the brochure, and they just allowed another program in one of their facilities about 10 min away. The style is goju ryu and I know nothing outside of that. Fact is, the real test will be what happens in April and I open my first stand alone facility, none of these factors will be an issue.

I have condenced my rec center classes into 2 classes (was 4), and I am working on getting a few other classes at my dojo to run while I'm teaching at the rec center, then when I'm done I'll finish at the dojo with my classes. Have a jiu jitsu guy interested so I think it will be a lot of good stuff happening. Yes, April will be my true test as an instructor, and I sure hope I pass haha! Nervous to say the least, sensei8 said if I build it they will come lol!

Solid post, as well!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: