Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jdash
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: What KarateForums means to me. Reply with quote

So if you check the member list you will see that I was the second person registered on this forum (after Patrick). Most of you don't know me as I haven't been regular here in years, but I wanted to leave my thoughts as well (hope you don't mind Patrick).

It was pretty amazing to see Patrick post the "10 Year Anniversary" of Karate Forums, as sometimes you don't realize how fast time has gone. I've known Patrick for quite a few years now, mostly online, and finally got to meet in person a few years back.

Ten years ago Patrick and I were 16 and I'll never forget chatting with him about domain names. Patrick has a knack for finding decent names that are available (wish I had a transcript of the conversation). I had started training in the Martial Arts a year or so prior and Patrick mentioned he had found, karateforums.com. I thought it was definitely a "cool" name back then and said, "Well if you don't register it, I'm going to. " Well he did and as they say, "the rest is history."

It's a good thing that Patrick was the one to register the domain as this places embodies all the qualities and strengths Patrick has developed as a community manager over the years. I was a very early staff member here and still remember so many early stories as we tried to go and establish our "place." It was always funny to hear someone try to "argue" with Patrick about something martial arts related (thinking they would make a point) only to find out later Patrick had never studied or taken a martial arts. That has been a good thing though.

The one thing I will echo about KarateForums, that so many have before me, is that in a discussion area that is known for big egos and chest thumping KarateForums has succeeded in becoming a quality, friendly, open discussion without all the "visible" drama that occurs on other martial arts forums. That's in no small part to the impartiality and firm but friendly hand that Patrick has taken in running this community. That's not to say there hasn't been drama but it has been handled quickly, quietly and efficiently enabling this community to continue to grow. I'm glad I had at least a small part in creating this community.

It's been wonderful to read the stories of people over the last couple of days about how KF has played a part in their journey. I had to stop studying the martial arts several years ago and slowly drifted away from the community. However I still pop in here and there to see how the community has grown.

Here's hoping for another ten years of success for KF. Also kudos to the various staff over the years. It can at times be a difficult job so let this be the moment of appreciation that you don't always receive.

Congrats Patrick on creating, managing and building one of the most successful martial arts communities online. Glad I could play a small role. It definitely is a marker in my personal journey and a time I remember fondly.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, James. Thanks for sharing this with us. I enjoy reading about how it all got started.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What KarateForums means to me. Reply with quote

Wow, James, thank you. It is great to read this and I appreciate all of the kind words. It means a lot to me and to look back at this story and those times... it's special. Thank you.

jamesdasher wrote:
It was always funny to hear someone try to "argue" with Patrick about something martial arts related (thinking they would make a point) only to find out later Patrick had never studied or taken a martial arts.

Yeah. As I like to say, I can't be biased if I don't know anything! Haha.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: