Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

AlexBoyKing
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: What kind of music do you listen to while training? Reply with quote

What kind of music pumps you up while you are training or practicing martial arts?

When I'm boxing, I like to listen to metal (Sepultura, Pantera, etc)
but when I'm just doing some kick boxing (Legs / kicks), I like having some big room edm music.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually depends on my mental health then go from there, then on top of that i'll go by what i'm focusing on.

AlexBoyKing
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Nice! Reply with quote

@Nidan Melbourne - Thx for your reply. I think most people fall into the same category as you. Also my current gym only plays music from the 90s so even when I don't have my iPod, I don't really miss it - Workouts are just better with music for me I find. I hope I can produce music one day too. Then i can make my custom workout music.

Last edited by AlexBoyKing on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big music workout guy. If its there, great, but if not, I'll still work out just fine.

If I had a choice, some old AC/DC and the like is what I prefer.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have any music in the dojo. But when I'm hitting a bag or stuff like that on my own...

Metal. Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Motörhead, and a few others thrown in there. If I don't have music going, I start focusing on how tired I am. Using a Fitbit, I actually burn more calories and stay in a higher heart rate zone for longer when listening to music. It's not night and day, but it's enough to say so.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music is distracting and impares training by disrupting the senses. Having music in the ears while training something which may be needed for self-preservation makes as much sense as walking through an unfamiliar and perhaps dangerous neighborhood with earphones on.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My music tends to vary on both my mood and my goals for that day/moment. My music taste is quite eclectic across the board. I've favorites, like, GNR, Aerosmith, Rush, Journey, Beatles, Queen, Cher, KISS, Elvis, Led Zeppelin, CCR, Taiko Drum Soundtracks, and the Eagles.

This list, of course, is not a complete list because I'm known to listen to Nirvana, Madonna, Lea Solanga, EW&F, Katy Perry, Les Miserables Soundtrack, Most any Soundtrack, Chicago, Metallica, Ozzy, Adam Lambert, Eminem, Meghan Trainor, Frank Sinatra, and Cindy Lauper.

To name just a few, and by a few, I mean, what I've listed thus far barely scratches the surface of my music taste!! I'll put my MP3 on "Artists", then select "Shuffle" and let play whatever plays; I've a very, very large music library on my MP3

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rock a lot of Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Slayer. Newer stuff I like includes Shadows Fall, Bullet for My Valentine, Five Finger Death Punch.

Anything that makes me want to punch thru a wall! Unfortunately, at 42 years old, working out to that kind of music has cost me a couple of rotator cuffs!!!
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No music in class, even during our fighters training. Might not hurt to have something during bag work but I don't miss it.

On the rare occasions I spend time on an exercise bike, I watch a bit of TV, but I don't even listen to music while running...find it upsets my pacing.

I've had recommendations to listen to some music to get into the right mindset for when I fight in a tournament this weekend. Not sure what I would listen to, maybe some heavy/classic rock or epic classical.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is an iPod the way to go, to listen to music while working out alone?

My last two devices for working out with were Walkmans, both broken and the cassette tapes broken; just a mess.

Are you laughing yet... ?

If not it gets better/funnier.

Before the Walkmans, I was binging a radio/cassette recorder to the neighborhood sports park, with headphones, and a large amount of fat batteries; far from a practical setup.

Before that a pocket radio, but the stations fading in and out, sometime I could pick up two stations at the same time, just wasn't working out due to all that and to top it off, the static was interfering with my nervous system.

So can you help me out?

Is an iPod the way to go?

Just need some basic information, on having music while working out in public; any tips?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: