Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the nearest school teaching a similar style? Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
I had a guy start teaching at a fitness center about a 2 min walk from me. REALLY? My previous nearest competitor was 15 min drive and was ATA Taekwondo which in all fairness is competition, but different enough in my opinion to allow us to really "coexist" if you will.

I teach Tang Soo Do "primarily" but admittedly I do blend quite a bit of other stuff at times. This guy is Tamg Soo Do specific, but really man? I saw he had a photo of like 10 students in never seen, I thought of course "he's taking from my student source/neighborhood"! I'm not greedy but can you open up a few miles away at least?

How about you guys? Nearest studio?

It's a free country anyone can build a school anywhere they want. However, we have to remember respect. I personally would not open the same style martial arts school as someone already established on the same road. Same town yes, not the same road. But that's just my point of view.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: What's the nearest school teaching a similar style? Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:
I had a guy start teaching at a fitness center about a 2 min walk from me. REALLY? My previous nearest competitor was 15 min drive and was ATA Taekwondo which in all fairness is competition, but different enough in my opinion to allow us to really "coexist" if you will.

I teach Tang Soo Do "primarily" but admittedly I do blend quite a bit of other stuff at times. This guy is Tamg Soo Do specific, but really man? I saw he had a photo of like 10 students in never seen, I thought of course "he's taking from my student source/neighborhood"! I'm not greedy but can you open up a few miles away at least?

How about you guys? Nearest studio?

It's a free country anyone can build a school anywhere they want. However, we have to remember respect. I personally would not open the same style martial arts school as someone already established on the same road. Same town yes, not the same road. But that's just my point of view.

That's what I'm saying. That's why I'm saying I don't view him as a neighbor, but more as somebody I'd have no problem looking at like a school in going to compete hard with. Just strange.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nearest schoot teaching a similar, or same art as myself was...ohhh...maybe 500 miles away or so. I taught in Montana and the nearest school doing the same thing was in Seattle to the West, or Minnesota to the East, and Texas to the South.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks like I'm just lucky to have a guy open up a program 100 feet from mine hah!

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's a good one. This place that opened up near me is now using the city Facebook recreation page to promote his buisness, the very same recreation page in which posts my program. As to respect being what us traditional martial artist hold a standard and often set the tone, I ask all of you what is your approach? For a quick refresh, a guy teaching the same martial art (I teach it as the base and integrate other styles but essentially the same) opened up at a fitness center so close I could throw a baseball into the parking lot.

The city told me they would delete it but haven't after a few days of talking with them. I posted right on top of it about being the official recreation martial arts program and that we came from the previous program that was there 9 years, in hopes that be would get the message. I'm left with a decision of playing the same game... flyers in his parking lot and so on, OR contacting him directly. So I ask again...

What would you do???

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
So here's a good one. This place that opened up near me is now using the city Facebook recreation page to promote his buisness, the very same recreation page in which posts my program. As to respect being what us traditional martial artist hold a standard and often set the tone, I ask all of you what is your approach? For a quick refresh, a guy teaching the same martial art (I teach it as the base and integrate other styles but essentially the same) opened up at a fitness center so close I could throw a baseball into the parking lot.

The city told me they would delete it but haven't after a few days of talking with them. I posted right on top of it about being the official recreation martial arts program and that we came from the previous program that was there 9 years, in hopes that be would get the message. I'm left with a decision of playing the same game... flyers in his parking lot and so on, OR contacting him directly. So I ask again...

What would you do???

Have two conversations asap!!

First have one with the recreation center management, but only with those that have the authority to make any changes long lasting. To discuss the possible ramifications of playing both ends against one another at the same time. Can't eat the cake if theirs no milk to wash it down...Can't eat the cake and have the cake at the same time.

Second conversation with the other school. It's not about who was here first, but it's about minimizing indifferences so that there can be a cooperation between the two, and that the students are provided a solid foundation of quality instructions. Bottom line, be better than the competition across the board, and if not, yield the ground!

Both conversations must be held professionally if either are to reach a amicable solution to the problem(s) at hand. Attack the problem, and NOT ONE ANOTHER!!

BE THAT CONSUMATE PROFESSIONAL...even if it's going to kill you to do so!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:

What would you do???

Have two conversations asap!!

First have one with the recreation center management, but only with those that have the authority to make any changes long lasting. To discuss the possible ramifications of playing both ends against one another at the same time. Can't eat the cake if theirs no milk to wash it down...Can't eat the cake and have the cake at the same time.

Second conversation with the other school. It's not about who was here first, but it's about minimizing indifferences so that there can be a cooperation between the two, and that the students are provided a solid foundation of quality instructions. Bottom line, be better than the competition across the board, and if not, yield the ground!

Both conversations must be held professionally if either are to reach a amicable solution to the problem(s) at hand. Attack the problem, and NOT ONE ANOTHER!!

BE THAT CONSUMATE PROFESSIONAL...even if it's going to kill you to do so!!

What he said. Speak to both parties. If nothing happens, do what he does- advertise to his target demographic. Don't bash him, no matter how hard it is. Potential students will view it as you being insecure. I've spoken to my CI several times about other dojos in our area. He always says, in one way or another "they've got to do what they've got to do. We don't have to do that."

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, first off I've never insecure and I'm not afraid of the competition, like I said it's just the way he was promoting which was essentially challenging my business on the city recreation Facebook page which is obviously who cuts me my checks and he is not affiliated with the city.

I have spoken with the people at the Recreation Department and they agreed he should not be able to but for some reason can't get their lazy butts to remove the post. That's obviously a separate issue that I need to stay on them for. As for having a conversation with him I'm really torn because I don't want to cause any drama, the type of guy that he seems to be by posting where he knows there's already a program and but people are people I guess.

They are, as for bashing him I would never do that. What you're describing is just a general rule of business that I follow. I call it class. I left my last studio on somewhat bad terms with the instructor and took over his previous location. There was some animosity but I never once spoke bad about him, in fact even to this day I speak very highly of him. I would never speak bad about this gentleman either, but as both of you have seem to understand I would if it came down to it, attack the area. As of now I do not engage in promoting on that corner where he is located or in the shopping center that he is located. I will say this, attacking his area vigorously with promotion of my business is something I would do if I feel that there was no other solution to prevent him from attacking my particular student base. Even that sounds cutthroats but I would be willing to go there the more I think about it because I feel like this is the path that he chose with me.

I suppose the right thing to do before any of that takes place though, is to speak with him and give him an opportunity to back down about the particular Avenue in which is promoting and stepping on my toes. At that point I suppose, the right thing to do would then be to aggressively promote, even thought how funny it would be to post some kind of karate school demonstration in his parking lot lol. The thing is he's in a public parking lot, the recreation center is city property and I really don't believe he would be allowed to do the same in mine. The thing is, as he has been there for only a little while I really found it interesting and somewhat disrespectful that he even moved on the same street, however I was not in an uproar about it, this is America and he can teach where he wants, the way I look at it is if I teach what I teach and I'm confident in my ability that I should not worry about anybody else, as the point of this all, using my recreation center whether it be on the premises or through the internet as an outlet for his business promotion is crossing a line though

126barnes
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invitational Tournament ???? :brow:

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

126barnes wrote:
Invitational Tournament ????

Haha, that's funny. That certainly would be an interesting way of handling it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: