Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think you were insecure at all, Lex. Just saying that bashing others makes people look that way. I'm pretty sure you're classy enough to let people do what they want while you go about your own business.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No for sure, i didnt intend to sound agressive about that part, just the way i wrote it sorry lol. like I said I didn't like how he went about it. I appreciate the input.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

126barnes wrote:
Invitational Tournament ????

That's a kind way of saying...

CLOSED TOURNAMENT!!

No competitors from styles outside of the hosting tournaments style are allowed!! ATA, for example, and this isn't meant to bash the ATA, only allow competitors from the ATA to compete. These closed tournaments can be found quite easily, and they weren't as popular as open tournaments back in my days during circa 1970's and 1980's. I can just go to Tulsa, OK and show you 3 Invitational Tournaments that are held quite regularly, and the ATA isn't even one of them.

Maybetrue
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there may be a deeper story. I would open a class in the same rec center same room on the same day , time slot before and after if that classes instructor has done something(wrong) to MY INSTRUCTOR,Me or organization in the past. In fact, one of my dojos is having a small problem with a instructor from a same style(diff. org) that may cause me to open a "dojo" in state which i live in now, i will inform those instructors close to me about why i am doing so, those instructors will need to inform the "heads of their organization to kick that instructor out or i will just open up close to their affiliate dojos in my state ... long story.

for me personally, i would love to have a same style open in the same rec or next door to my dojo. no problems.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more along the lines of a Parkng Lot Tournament...but probably not a good diea...

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remaining civil regardless of petty squabbles and competition no matter what is the best way to handle things. Never forget that in the end, nobody can decide which dojo students will chose. As an instructor one can do one's damnedest to attract and keep students but not much else.

It is best to just let the other dojo do what it does and focus on teaching. Students will come and stay with an instructor who enjoys sharing knowledge and skills with dedication. It matters not who is next door or what they do.

There is no reason that two dojo of similar or identical systems cannot coexist on the same street or even in the same building for that matter. The similarity is often only superficial. No two instructors teach exactly alike, nor with the same goal even if both teach the same style.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the last few statements. I don't feel that two programs can't exist in close quarters without issues. I have always (almost always) lived in or near big cities. Seeing martial arts studios so glad to one a other is more then common at times, it can be rediculous. This is nothing new.

For me personally I don't have issues with any person, or business that shows respects. Now I realise in America we lack a great deal of respect it seems as a whole sometimes but we all want respect, so giving it should be a given.

Advertising in a neighboring studios parking lot, or through a social media outlet where they shouldn't be is not showing respect. That's ok too, as long as you know that's the way things are then you are free to do the same.

My words to "said dojo"... you better be a driven program because I show up every class, I get better every class, and I show the ability to not only keep them, but to grow steadily. Be aware, If you constantly post about there being no class and telling people you will explain later on Facebook, and anounce every time a person is no longer affiliated with your organization through social media, you may want to rethink your position, because a battle of the dojo's is hardly a battle if there's only an indomitable will to succeed from the instructor at one of them. Hypothetical of course

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: What's the nearest school teaching a similar style? Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
I had a guy start teaching at a fitness center about a 2 min walk from me. REALLY? My previous nearest competitor was 15 min drive and was ATA Taekwondo which in all fairness is competition, but different enough in my opinion to allow us to really "coexist" if you will.

I teach Tang Soo Do "primarily" but admittedly I do blend quite a bit of other stuff at times. This guy is Tamg Soo Do specific, but really man? I saw he had a photo of like 10 students in never seen, I thought of course "he's taking from my student source/neighborhood"! I'm not greedy but can you open up a few miles away at least?

How about you guys? Nearest studio?

We live in a town of about 15,000 to 20,000, depending on when college is in session. Our town is about 4 miles across in each direction. In this small area, we have our TKD school, a Karate school, an Aikido school that also has a BJJ club sponsored by the college and a fellow that teaches what he calls 3-in-1, a blend of TKD and BJJ and Hapkido. That school is around the corner from ours. The college also has a Defensive Tactics club, which I am a part of. All are within a few minutes drive of each other.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the nearest school teaching a similar style? Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:
I had a guy start teaching at a fitness center about a 2 min walk from me. REALLY? My previous nearest competitor was 15 min drive and was ATA Taekwondo which in all fairness is competition, but different enough in my opinion to allow us to really "coexist" if you will.

I teach Tang Soo Do "primarily" but admittedly I do blend quite a bit of other stuff at times. This guy is Tamg Soo Do specific, but really man? I saw he had a photo of like 10 students in never seen, I thought of course "he's taking from my student source/neighborhood"! I'm not greedy but can you open up a few miles away at least?

How about you guys? Nearest studio?

We live in a town of about 15,000 to 20,000, depending on when college is in session. Our town is about 4 miles across in each direction. In this small area, we have our TKD school, a Karate school, an Aikido school that also has a BJJ club sponsored by the college and a fellow that teaches what he calls 3-in-1, a blend of TKD and BJJ and Hapkido. That school is around the corner from ours. The college also has a Defensive Tactics club, which I am a part of. All are within a few minutes drive of each other.

Phoenix in general is pretty hefty with martial arts schools. I'm pretty used to what your describing. I think any businesses can coexist as long as there is respect, ESPECIALLY in one like ours.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of a Parkng Lot Tournament...but probably not a good diea...

Haha, probably not effective from a business standpoint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: