Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: What's the philosophy behind MA?! Reply with quote

While I am reading or watching videos about MA history, I usually find a spiritual aspect (something like praying, focusing, yoga, .. not quiet sure) -that I have never understood- for each art.

In your opinion, what is the philosophy (which I guess is the reason for spiritual practices) of MA and if this spiritual aspect is still there or gone?!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answers will vary from MAist to MAist as well as from style to style, and so on and so forth. A general answer, imho, will not suffice, we can only speak for ourselves.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the philosophy? As many answers for that as there are people in the arts.

Is it still there or is it gone? It's still there even if it's gone. To quote Rush "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."

andym
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my view on the philosophy of the martial arts, it's central reality. So read reality for philosophy.
This is from an unpublished article :

[/quote]Yet within the training we confront another aspect, reality itself . Reality, moment by moment existence. Generally, we go through life distracted, thinking about either something that has happened before or something that will happen later. We do not focus on what is happening around us, at this moment, because it may be tedious. I’m just the same, I work long and hard at an unrewarding job, for a firm I despise, hardly enjoyable. It takes a deliberate act of will to focus on the miserable reality of my dull and boring working life, distracted reality becomes an escape from boredom. But, in the Dojo, training, if you are in this normal ‘distracted reality’, thinking of something before or later, you will get nailed ! You have to face reality; reality is the focus on this moment of action, this moment of reality. You focus on what is really going on and not be distracted by peripheral or trivial things, especially with-in yourself. Reality is a constant flow, as it passes , either through you or by you. (An important distinction.)

The old hour glass analogy is the best to quickly grasp the point I am trying to get across. In the base of the hour glass is the past. The top is the future. In the narrow centre, were the ‘sands of time’ run through, is now. Only by correctly focusing on now, can we act or re-act, to events correctly. This is the central principle that all the martial arts are trying to teach. This does not mean a hedonistic ‘live for today, tomorrow doesn’t count’, attitude. The future is there and it is coming. You need to understand and learn from the past , this helps you to be able to plan and use the oncoming future. By focusing on now, you can make the best use of the past and the future. This is what is learned, only by the experience of training and practise. Ancient or modern, armed or unarmed, art, way, combat or sport is irrelevant. This, in my opinion, is the central, all embracing principle of reality carried by the martial arts.
Quote:

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple; Do unto others then run away! Also; If all else fails, kick it hard!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shiver with enthusiasm at the asking of this question! While I believe that out there somewhere, there exists a foundation for the philosophy of martial arts upon which we loosely build all of our conceptions about what makes a martial artist. I have seen schools that list what they believe is the foundational ground work to which you usually see words such as "integrity, compassion, courage etc." written at various places in the dojo. I have read books full of what someone's philosophy for martial arts. Are any of these things correct? Maybe. I absolutely think that these different conceptions of what it is to be a martial artist are true to that person. For me, the philosophy of martial arts might resemble something similar to the Shaolin concept of "middle path." I've added a bunch of western conceptions to this, being one who IS a western, but what I believe is at the core of the philosophy of martial arts may be different from others. For me, a martial artist embodies many different concepts, such as patience and compassion. A martial artist also embodies one who thirsts for knowledge. We endlessly and tirelessly delve into the varies systems that we practice to glean some bit of new information that we can use. It is our obsession. It is our noble endeavor. However, this is not the answer to your question.

In asking your question you have taken the first step into becoming a martial artist I think. Decartes said

Descartes wrote:
Cogito ergo sum

I think therefore I am. What he meant was that he has the ability to take apart ideas and the world in his mind to get at the answer to anything. This process is what you have started. From here, you will (most likely) endlessly struggle with what it means to be a martial artist. Through this commitment to this question you will find yourself delving into whatever knowledge bank you can find to pull into the light what you believe it is to be a martial artist. Whether you come to an answer that is a spiritual one or otherwise. Good luck. If you come to an answer please publish, I'd love to read your work.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that I didn't give you a better answer to your OP question, and that's because a long dissertation might've not been warranted and that is because everyone's personal opinions about MA philosophy would've been close, but not exact from one to another.

Still, solid topic; thank you for starting it!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the philosophy behind MA?! Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
While I am reading or watching videos about MA history, I usually find a spiritual aspect (something like praying, focusing, yoga, .. not quiet sure) -that I have never understood- for each art.

In your opinion, what is the philosophy (which I guess is the reason for spiritual practices) of MA and if this spiritual aspect is still there or gone?!!

I am of the opinion that the philosophy behind the Martial Arts in general has more to do with the thoughts and feelings, ideals and beliefs of each who founded a style that they became known for. Others join them, start to like the way they think, and bring those values along with them. In fact, some stylists have used the style they teach to propogate their spiritual beliefs.

With that said, I believe that the Martial Arts, in and of themselves, have no philosophy behind them. Its the people who participate in them that have philosophies, or develop them over time, and thus transfer them along with their Martial teachings.

That's my stand on the subject, anyway.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the art and practitioner.

Martial arts are about the use of force. Everywhere that people are taught how to use force and violence and to gain power, there will be some form of ethical component attached, because after all, if you are handed a big club, your next question is probably going to be "Under what circumstances am I supposed to hit someone with this?"

However, there is no one specific ethical component. It's going to vary quite a bit. Police training has shifted in the theories that back them over time, and differs also by city. Martial arts teachers are even more different from each other, and they aren't even from the same cultures. There is no reason to think that their ethics will have any common root beyond the thought that they will be taught some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: