Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: What's your education? What's your master's education level? Reply with quote

I find that if instructors have a degree related to fitness or education, it will dramatically improve how your students learn. At one time, I was lucky to train under a very educated master....I can say he was probably the most well-rounded and best martial arts master, i've trained under..(he was also the most expensive).. Throughout his life, he was a doctor, biology professor, and a coach. (Sounds too good to be true, but his reputation is well known in my area.) Because of his education, he understood kinetic anatomy of the body, psychology, and how to teach which greatly helped his students effectively learn martial arts....I know there are a lot of good masters out there, who don't even have an education. Most traditional masters who immigrated to North America, didn't actually go to post-secondary education,but they are still good at what they do...Anyway, the whole point of this thread was to ask, "Do you think instructors should also have some academic credentials?""

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the credentials make them better teachers I'm all for it. I wouldn't say that's the case with all credentials though.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, my MA instructor also teaches technical courses at a community college, so he has quite a bit of experience with people in general. I think there is a definite advantage with having an educated instructor when it comes down to explaining why things are done the way they are done and general people skills.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it helps i spose.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's see....my education....I'm a sophomore in high school
I agree that a degree in a related field would be helpful, but not absolutely necessary. I know a lot of people who are smarter than some college graduates in their field, but simply did not have the money or time to go to college. There's still no substitute for real-life experience and common sense . I think if you can find a balance between real-life experience and college education, then that would be perfect...more power to you!

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Social Studies EDU degree but that does not do anything for my karate knowledge. However the classes I took in college that taught me how to handel a classroom gave me insight on how to work a dojo. I am also a football coach and have knowledge with muscles and weights and physcal activey.

Just because you are good at something don't make you a good teacher. Just because you know a lot don't make you a good teacher. Just because you got a degree in whatever don't make you a good teacher. To be a good teacher you got to help people uncover their best style of learning and let them learn on their own.

Bratt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it should be obligatory. But it does help if one is educated in a certain subject. Your very lucky to have been taught by someone so highly educated, especially in those fields

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i'm lucky but it costs almost a grand to get your black-belt.

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmar Schmeisser's organization (there's a link on www.24fightingchickens.com) has an interesting scheme for instructor certifications. It includes completion of courses in physiology, psychology, etc... I wonder if other organizations have such credentialing processes? I also wonder who has the time to do them?

Freestyle
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a doctorate level, post graduate degree. However, I learned to teach karate by teaching karate. I've been teaching for over 20 years and learned by doing. I'm not sure my degree has helped my teaching ability, I am sure that my experience in life has...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: