Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I country Western dance, own/ride horses, shoot guns, work with developementally/physically disabled adults, open doors for ladies and the elderly, I am polite to everybody regardless of age, sex, religion, or anything else, and most people call me a pretty nice guy (kills it with the ladies though )

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcemanSK wrote:
ashworth wrote:
I play darts in a local amateur pub league, and also captain a pool team...

I think of all the scenarios I've heard of from instructors over the years that start with, "a guy comes up to you in a bar or pool hall and...." I always thought, "I don't spend much time in either of those places, I'll never get to use this technique." lol But you must be the guy these instructors were with when they came up with applications for their lessons. Just Kidding. all in fun.

Haha! certainly, I have actually been playing pool with a student that helps me out with teaching in the dojo and we have spoken about these kinds of scenarios! I actually engraved my pool cue with my name in katakana...

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play pool, do medieval re-enactment, read, play and run a D&D campaign... mostly I just try to participate in as much life as I can.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunting and the outdoors was my big passion, until I made it my job, now I get a buzz out of taking my daughter camping and passing on all those skills that a lifetime in the outdoors gives you. I do very little hunting for myself these days.
There's nothing on TV these days , so evenings will find my either playing a FPS on-line game (Planetside 2) or browsing Youtube for Wuxia movies, or good docos.....
I used to shoot a lot of sporting clays, but have all but given it up to concentrate on MA. Any other spare time I actually love taking my daughter to her after school activities, take her there, watch and bring her home again.
I also have a pretty good vege garden, can't beat digging up your own spuds and cooking them fresh out of the ground!
Oh yeah, almost forgot, I'm a traveller and get itchy feet every 3 or 4 months, luckily I travel quite a lot for work. Right now in Iran.......

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am double majoring in Managerial Accounting and Accounting/Financial Analysis. I also intend on getting my Masters in Healthcare Management. I wish I had the time to read and inordinate amount of comic books. I also enjoy cooking.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnASE wrote:
IcemanSK wrote:
As for me. I've been in Christian ministry of some sort for most of my adult life, despite training MA for even longer than that. I have fairly pacifist tendencies.
Ha! That's not un-MA! At ASE Martial Arts Supply, we've had many ministers as customers. Aren't there two martial arts stereotypes, the aggressive guy and the humble guy? Cobra Kai and Mr. Miyagi? I think the latter is actually more common.

I've known so many martial artists from all walks of life, that I don't think anything is really un-MA, so I'll just list a few things that I'm into.

I'm a car guy. I love sports cars. I'm using the classic definition of "sports car" here. It should be small, light, and good handling. Most are 2-seaters and convertible is a plus. A Mustang is not a sport car. They have decent handling, but are too big and heavy. I love to drive, but don't wrench much.

My wife and I own an electric bicycle store, so I spend a lot of time working on and riding bikes. Ebikes are great! I've been meaning to start a thread to tell you all about this, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I love to read, mostly sci-fi/fantasy. That goes back to when I was a kid. I've done plenty of geeky things. I did comics and Magic the Gathering (like Zaine mentioned), D&D, and video games. When I say "did", I mean obsessively. In my early 20s, I remember getting blood blisters from game controllers. Most of that was decades ago, but it's still me.

Oh, and on the athletic side, I play a game called wallyball. Basically, it's volleyball played on a racquetball court. You string a net across the middle of the court and can hit off the walls (hence, wallyball). You usually play 2-on-2 to 3-on-3. You bump, set, and spike in a rhythm similar to beach volleyball, but faster, since the court is so much smaller.

Wallyball is Awesome! In high school I used to put a wicked spin on it that confused the crap out of the other guys. It would drop long or shot when they went for the bump.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying Sci-fi reruns at the moment, such as "Lexx" Have seen all of the episodes and almost seen them all again; could be time to move on to another galaxy soon.

Or perhaps stay on planet Earth and rediscover "The X Files"

Or look for Earth in "Battle Star Gallactica" episodes.

Needless to say, I like to get spaced out on "Science Fiction Fantasy" TV shows and movies.

Heads Up Aliens!!!!

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Enjoying Sci-fi reruns at the moment, such as "Lexx" Have seen all of the episodes and almost seen them all again; could be time to move on to another galaxy soon.

Needless to say, I like to get spaced out on "Science Fiction Fantasy" TV shows and movies.

Heads Up Aliens!!!!

Have you ever watched "Babylon 5"?

I am also a sci-fi and fantasy geek.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Heads Up Aliens!!!!

Have you ever watched "Babylon 5"?

I am also a sci-fi and fantasy geek.
I'll give Babylon 5 a go; Thanks LLLEARNER!!!

RobertAslin2
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: American Ed Parker Kenpo, Shotokan, Taekwondo, Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the mark of a great martial artist is being involved in what some would consider "soft" stuff, like music, painting, etc.

As for myself, I love to make music, having been playing the trumpet for 8 years and counting.
I'm also a huge nerd so I like to indulge myself in video games, Star Wars/Trek, and shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender and the Legend of Korra.
"I come to you with only Karate, empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons, Karate, my empty hands." - Ed Parker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: