Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Most, if not all, MA schools, especially in the USA, won't let you teach THIER student body. So...there has to be a school somewhere that's willing to allow them individually to be allowed to teach. And if MA schools are highly apprehensive about that, then how did they/you/your instructor get that foot into ANY door?

Word of mouth?!?! Sure, very effective! It's not what you know, but it's who you know!! Someone in ones network knows about what you do and how you do it and how different you do it, and they book you, it goes well, then your name spreads around your network, alas, you're filling in your calendar.

It's that suspiciousness that they rest behind because they don't know you from the man in the moon? You say the right things, you do the right things, you sound knowledgeable, you wear the gi properly, you sound/act like you have spent some quality time on the floor, you didn't run into any walls and/or door frames, you don't look like a duck and you don't walk like a duck and you don't sound like a duck, BUT...

They don't know you from the man on the moon!!

Everyone here, thus far, have made some pretty solid posts, and I thank you all, and hopefully, I'll get some others chiming in, and those who've posted so far, will continue this discussion. I especially like what Danielle [DWx] has posted; quite solid, and then some!!

Yeah I have heard it is difficult to get international instructors other than those from the hombu dojo to come teach. I am aware that Jesse has seminars in the US this year.

Personally I don't understand why schools wouldn't allow international instructors of high regard to come teach. My sensei has always been open to having instructors come teach if they have something that would benefit our students. The main things that they required were positive history from other clubs and if they are well known (i.e. Jesse Enkamp or Iain Abernethy).

Can't earn a positive history from any club and become well known if no MA school will provide that opportunity, even from a Hombu. Not to the stretch of ones imagination, but I fear this three-folded possibility of causing a MA school to be unapproachable:

1) You might "steal" their students
2) You appear to them of no-value
3) You are nobody to them

So, why should a MA school give you a break/chance??

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet has a lot to do with it now. It's easy to market yourself internationally, and it's easier to verify you are who you say you are. "Word of mouth" is a lot quicker. Is there someone out there gaining a lot of attention and your students are bringing up his/her name? Google that person. Watch some videos of their seminars on YouTube. Email them and pick their brain. Ask others who've hosted them.

In the pre-internet era, I'm sure it was authors, champions, and very high-ups. If you're doing something along the lines of Shotokan, see if Kanazawa or his direct disciples do seminars. Attend one and if it's good, ask him to come to your school. I was in my former organization at the infancy of the internet. Our founder was well read and fond of Patrick McCarthy's and Seiyu Oyata's work. He went to a seminar held by McCarthy, and one held by one of Oyata's top students. What did he do? Invited them for a seminar at his dojo.

My former Sensei has attended a few seminars with Taira Masaji hosted by a friend of his and has brought any students willing to go.

I think the people who act like others don't exist and don't want their students attending are insecure in their abilities and knowledge, and insecure in their ability to retain students. Sometimes they don't want to admit that they don't know everything.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of the karateka mentioned in the OP had to start somewhere. It is important not to forget that they once were unknown, regular dedicated martial artists quietly training, practising and later teaching in their own dojo. The first chance they were given was probably by their own instructor who believed in them and their students who appreciated their teachings.

The rest of their succes stories are due to their determination and will to share with anyone ready to hear them. In short, they are successful and reknowned thanks to their students, their teachers and their willingness to share their interest and experiences.

None of it happened overnight and neither would their reputation be what it is without intention. Some of the skilled karateka who were involved with Mr Enkamp and Mr Abernethy are much, much lesser known than them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: