Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

brennan the rabbit
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: wing chun goju ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: whats more challenging sports jiu jitsu or judo Reply with quote

my friend argues with me that sports jiujitsu is more of a challenge than judo because sports jiujitsu focuses on more ranges but i belive its tougher in judo because an ippon can mean an instant win plus you can improve better in judo because your only focus on throws and ground any thoughts on it

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is kinda nonsensical. Whether one is doing judo or jiu jitsu your opponent is also fighting with the same rule set. This means that neither is more or less challenging than the other and which one is or isn't is a subjective question and answer.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to you or not, but it's kinda like asking if it's harder to compete in a bench press competition vs a deadlift competition.

brennan the rabbit
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: wing chun goju ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well what my friend told me sports jiujitsu has punches and kicks and you can only grapple on the ground for 30 secs i think that limits what you can do on the ground but he says it like the street you dont want to be on the ground

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a little like asking whether Roman-Greco or Freestyle wrestling is tougher; getting thrown or lifted and slammed hurts, but the art of pinning is very physically demanding.

From a technical point of view; I would argue Judo, in that there are many restrictions placed on how you throw, and what constitutes a successful throw. So the level of throwing, I would argue, is superior but also harder to learn to do well.

However, on the ground I must argue Jujutsu because of the greater variety of techniques allowed, but also the lack of restriction on how long the fight can last on the ground.

I would say that Judo has perhaps more explosive intensity, but that Jujutsu is more trying the longer the bout lasts. However, I have only ever competed at white belt level in both a couple of times, so I cannot say much more.

Now Vale Tudo compared to Judo is far more intense; which I what I suspect you may actually be getting at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: