Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Where do youu look?
The face
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
The eyes
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
The chest
43%
 43%  [ 17 ]
other...
30%
 30%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 39

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chest, actually I look all over and it depends on what my opponent is doing but mostly chest. I was taught that years ago and have stuck with that. Good view on everything. I think looking at the face is something I did before I had experience and allowed me to be pulled in emotionally more so then looking at chest. People communicate through facial expressions more then we realize, don't want to be that intimate while sparring!

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
The chest, actually I look all over and it depends on what my opponent is doing but mostly chest. I was taught that years ago and have stuck with that. Good view on everything. I think looking at the face is something I did before I had experience and allowed me to be pulled in emotionally more so then looking at chest. People communicate through facial expressions more then we realize, don't want to be that intimate while sparring!

Welcome to the chest club.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chest here. You can see the arms and legs from there. I never liked looking at their face as some people are pretty good with faking with their expression. My origional sensei was real good at scaring the heck out of you with his expressions!!! lol

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another chest man. I don't really focus hard on it though. I kind of relax my eyes/ease my focus.

I used to look into my opponent's eyes until the first time I seriously (for me anyway) sparred against my old sensei. He had this look of death/murder in his eyes that I'll never forget nor give anyone else the chance to "own me" with it. That was the night before his 4th dan test and he was very fired up.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Another chest man. I don't really focus hard on it though. I kind of relax my eyes/ease my focus.

I used to look into my opponent's eyes until the first time I seriously (for me anyway) sparred against my old sensei. He had this look of death/murder in his eyes that I'll never forget nor give anyone else the chance to "own me" with it. That was the night before his 4th dan test and he was very fired up.

It seems like a lot favour this position and I can see why.
It is so practical doing it this way oppose to looking elsewhere.
I do, however suppose it is personal preference.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titanium wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

Just reminded me of a funny situation from a while back...

I taught a karate class for the Phys Ed. department at a college I worked at a while back. I had a very small group one day, so we did non-contact sparring; it was 3 punches (that were blocked), then the other person did their 3.

Anyway, I was working with a young lady who said awkwardly, yet politely, "can you please stop staring at my chest." Luckily, I had 2 female students in the class at the time with MA experience who corroborated my story.

After that round, I taught the students to look at their opponent's chest, not their eyes, and explained why.

I also told my boss, figuring I should tell her first in case we had a sexual harassment complaint on our hands. Thankfully, the student understood I wasn't checking her out.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah erm...yes... oops!!
Sorry I forgot to add the result of the competition I mention in my (long ago) posts!

The fighting was done as much as possible for me looking up say the shoulders/head, not full face or chest!
I pulled a third place!

So maybe for as much as we say face or chest a person needs to find where to look for them selves and see what works for them!!

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Titanium wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

Just reminded me of a funny situation from a while back...

I taught a karate class for the Phys Ed. department at a college I worked at a while back. I had a very small group one day, so we did non-contact sparring; it was 3 punches (that were blocked), then the other person did their 3.

Anyway, I was working with a young lady who said awkwardly, yet politely, "can you please stop staring at my chest." Luckily, I had 2 female students in the class at the time with MA experience who corroborated my story.

After that round, I taught the students to look at their opponent's chest, not their eyes, and explained why.

I also told my boss, figuring I should tell her first in case we had a sexual harassment complaint on our hands. Thankfully, the student understood I wasn't checking her out.

You lucky thing.
That could have gone majorly wrong for you.

Thanks for sharing that.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eyes tend to dart here and there, searching for a target. I do understand why many will look at a certain place on their opponent whilst sparring/kumite. Akin to when basketball players will watch their opponents hips; where the hips go, so does the body AND the ball.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
My eyes tend to dart here and there, searching for a target. I do understand why many will look at a certain place on their opponent whilst sparring/kumite. Akin to when basketball players will watch their opponents hips; where the hips go, so does the body AND the ball.

This is a very good point too. Hip and body movement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: