Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

goforit1
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai, Karate, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Where to start training again? Reply with quote

Hello all... I'm considering Martial Arts training again. I was a Shorin-Ryu student while in college in my early 20s and loved it. Now to begin again at nearly 59, I don't think I'm up to the intensity of that style of training. Any suggestions of a Martial Arts style that could improve my flexibility, strength and endurance while minimizing the physical impact that form of Martial Arts would have on me.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Pretty much any martial art can be tailored to your personal needs. Of course, there are some limitations, but by and large, you should be able to just go check out the martial arts schools in your area and see which one you like best.

Oh, and don't shy away from Shorin-Ryu because of the intensity you remember--it's always more intense for college kids than for older adults
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget styles. Look at dojos. No two teachers, even within the same system teach alike. A good teacher is a good teacher, regardless of what style they're teaching, just as a bad teacher is bad.

A teacher can also be a great teacher, but not be the right fit for you.

You have some MA experience already, so you have a lot better understanding of what you're looking for. Keep an open mind and visit the dojos in your area that don't conflict with your schedule.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF! It's great to have you!

Wastelander is right! If you want, give Shorin Ryu another try to see if it will work for you still.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Forget styles. Look at dojos. No two teachers, even within the same system teach alike. A good teacher is a good teacher, regardless of what style they're teaching, just as a bad teacher is bad.

A teacher can also be a great teacher, but not be the right fit for you.

You have some MA experience already, so you have a lot better understanding of what you're looking for. Keep an open mind and visit the dojos in your area that don't conflict with your schedule.

Solid post!!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, goforit1. What's available in your area?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum

Have a good look around and have a good look. Usually a good dojo should tailor the training to suit your needs.

Probably from a biased opinion, I would recommend you join a Goju-Ryu School due to the training having a large component of Hard and Soft Techniques. So great for older people. This is because i am a goju-ryu practitioner.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out a style that you did as a younger person. A wise instructor will take the student into account & not expect the same from a healthy 20 year that they would of a more mature student. The folks above are spot on with that.

Since you've trained before, you have a bit of an idea of what might interest you today. If you have physical limitations that concern you, perhaps try Tai Chi that is more low impact.

Welcome to the forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: