Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Why are the Koreans so good at archery? Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone watched any of the Olympic archery this year, but the South Koreans, as per usual, were wholly dominant in the event. In fact South Korea have won 23 golds out of the possible 40 golds since the modern archery competion was introduced to the Olympics in 1972. Many of the world's top archers and coaches are South Korean, and all but 2 Olympic records are held by South Koreans.

I've been reading a bit about this and came across this article details some of their training methods:

http://www.reuters.com/article/oly-arch-kor-coaching-day-idUSL3E8I107020120727

What struck me about it is this bit:

Quote:
"The Korean approach to archery is that they look at it like a martial art," Rabska told Reuters at Lord's Cricket Ground. "And they are one of the only countries in the world that do it like that, though others are starting to follow.

"First they spend months learning the proper stance. Then it's months learning to raise one arm, then both arms for a couple of months."

Rabska said South Korean archery students continued to practise the most basic elements until they had perfected the technique and biomechanics.

"Those kids have six months intensive training before they shoot their first arrow."

Apparently the kids who first start learning will learn to shoot without even to touching a bow and will practice exercises to gain the correct mechanics first. According to some of the articles I read even the adult professionals will take time to practice without a bow and spend time visualising what they are doing without even shooting.

The even have Dan rankings associated with skill level: http://www.atarn.org/korean/IA_kr_1.htm

Quote:
OFFICIAL RANKING

Korean traditional archery has ranking similar to other martial arts, such as taekwondo. The dahn level system is used. At special ranking competitions, archers try to advance in rank. The first dahn level is reached when you hit the target twenty five out of forty five tries. The next levels (second through ninth) are 28, 29, 30, 31, 33, 35, 37, and 39 hits, respectively. Only two level advancements are allowed per year. Rank is signified by moogoonghwa (Rose of Sharon) flowers embroidered on the archer's bow cover. When an archer reaches fifth dahn, another milestone is reached. This level is known as Myong Goong, or "Famous-name Archer". At this level, the archer will be given another ceremony and the archer's name will be registered nationally.

Just thought it was interesting their approach to the sport and how it seems to have paid off for them. Makes you think what other sports would benefit from this approach or whether it would work in the West.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the Koreans are able to dominate the Archery Competition because they have had it as a cultural hobby and hunting tool for centuries.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
I believe that the Koreans are able to dominate the Archery Competition because they have had it as a cultural hobby and hunting tool for centuries.

Sure but the same is true for Western Europe but the Europeans don't come close.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: